When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My first project watch!

wannabe

The 'golden' wheel is the balance, which regulates the watch's beat (its timing accuracy).

There are several things that can cause the balance to stop, but, most likely, considering the movement is a low-end Asian component, either the movement was never properly lubricated before it left the factory or the mainspring is defective/broken or requires cleaning/lubrication. I cannot teach you how to overhaul a movement and I do not know where you can find a service manual for it. I would recommend that you either junk the watch (it is not a high quality watch) and buy another one (the cost of repairing the movement will likely exceed the cost to replace the watch) or buy some watchmakers tools and a book on watchmaking & have a go. But if you have never overhauled a watch movement before, I can tell you that it can be an expensive endeavor (factoring in the cost of tools) and you will probably end up having to replace the watch in the end anyway.

The 'golden' wheel is the balance, which regulates the watch's beat (its timing accuracy).

There are several things that can cause the balance to stop, but, most likely, considering the movement is a low-end Asian component, either the movement was never properly lubricated before it left the factory or the mainspring is defective/broken or requires cleaning/lubrication. I cannot teach you how to overhaul a movement and I do not know where you can find a service manual for it. I would recommend that you either junk the watch (it is not a high quality watch) and buy another one (the cost of repairing the movement will likely exceed the cost to replace the watch) or buy some watchmakers tools and a book on watchmaking & have a go. But if you have never overhauled a watch movement before, I can tell you that it can be an expensive endeavor (factoring in the cost of tools) and you will probably end up having to replace the watch in the end anyway.

Thanks very much for your input :thumbsupsmileyanim:

so what you're basically saying is, "bin it, is a useless piece of tat" :lol: just out of interest is there a name for this movement? (apart from POS etc etc :lol:)

the actuall watch is about 6 years old and was a daily wearer until it stopped, but i didn't want to throw it away as i thought i could do something with it.

so, what could/should i do if i don't want to persue trying to fix it, as you say its a low end asian movement. could i use another movement? if so whats the recommended one? if not, anybody want to buy a SS strap and casing??? :lol: :lol:

thanks again :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Edited by wannabe

I cannot tell which movement it is from your pictures. You might try removing the hands and dial and checking both sides of the movement for a name and model number. Once you have that, you can check some of the watch movement vendors to see if that one is still in production and if you can get an off the shelf replacement. Possibly, someone else might be able to provide more info than I have (I do not work on those low end movements).

Thank you all you wonderful, wonderful people!

Haywood, you are a star, thanks! that link will give me a place to start, which is all i was after in the fisrt place :)

Mucrewbtp, thanks for the offer! its much appreciated. as you're in the US i'll give it a miss but if i het stuck i may well give you a shout for sure!

Teejay, good call, i'll give that site a quick once over

fxr Andy, thanks for helping me narrow it down a bit :)

once agian, thanks a bunch people !!!