When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DSN Fiddy

Victoria

So, long story short, my beloved Davidsen Fiddy/PAM 127 is going back to his Gepetto in Hong Kong. Sniff. (Will explain later, in detail)

But first, a few photos for those of you who just pulled the trigger on this pricey, but very sexy watch.

This may be as close as you can get, until you get it on your wrists! :p

299990-3005.jpg

299990-3006.jpg

299990-3007.jpg

299990-3008.jpg

299990-3009.jpg

299990-3010.jpg

299990-3011.jpg

299990-3012.jpg

299990-3013.jpg

Strap: Tootall (RWI), "B2", 125/75

Case: Panatime.com (*bay)

NOTE: Comments about the watch, how accurate/inaccurate it is, are very much welcome. :victory:

The engraving on the bridges looks like a great step forward but why is the screw on the swans neck so short, it looks like it is fully screwed in and has only moved the aduster one marker from centers, the case shape and size looks far better than my 0581 case. I have heard of a lot of ristis calling out reps due to our instance on AR so we get the very blue hint in the saphire, the gen apparently does not have it, AR yes but not that blue.

Looks great though V, shame you cant be wearing it now but im sure you will enjoy it when it is back.

The engraving on the bridges looks like a great step forward but why is the screw on the swans neck so short, it looks like it is fully screwed in and has only moved the aduster one marker from centers, the case shape and size looks far better than my 0581 case.

In fact, all the screws look a bit too embedded, or is it my untrained eye? They just look off somehow.

Any other inaccuracies?

Look, I'll put my cards on the table. I want this watch to be as close to gen as possible. Yes, I know I know. It's a rep, and they'll never be perfect. But, even so, I want the best copy at least. So what could give it away to a real knowledgeable Panerista, like say, our AWOL Sssurfer?

(Happy Ferragosto, by the way!)

I have heard of a lot of ristis calling out reps due to our instance on AR so we get the very blue hint in the saphire, the gen apparently does not have it, AR yes but not that blue.

Oh yes. That is the number 1 "tell" apparently, to the naked eye. The gen Fiddy AR, if it has any "tint" at all (and it's argued that it doesn't), is yellowish not bluey-purple.

Looks great though V, shame you cant be wearing it now but im sure you will enjoy it when it is back.

Thanks, FxrAndy!

I will give an RWG cookie to the first person who can pick out ONE of the reasons this is being sent back. Hint: as I said earlier, it's cosmetic.

I'll list the inaccuracies.

The Officine Panerai Firenze is not painted in.

Bingo. You have a KEEN eye, Evildee!

Crystal profile is wrong?

Dunno.

The 1 at 12 is wrong.

Interesting.

Matte dial

Yes.

Thin dial

Crystal AR

Not sure if I can tell him this, since wouldn't everyone else get the same? Please let me know, since there's time until Monday. :)

Bingo. You have a KEEN eye, Evildee!

Dunno.

Interesting.

Yes.

Not sure if I can tell him this, since wouldn't everyone else get the same? Please let me know, since there's time until Monday. :)

I don't think he can do anything about this. Plus the lume on the dial is not up to par with superlume. You're gonna have to buy a replacement dial from someone else and relume it with superlume C3.

This is the Risti link to photos of the gen:

hxxp://www.paneristi.com/reference/vendome/images/pam_121_140/pam_127_images.html

Back

300012-2997.jpg

(The back's PANERAI engraving looks very crisp, all over. Mine is almost smudged)

Front

300012-2998.jpg

(I've seen cream white sandwich dials, and more greeny ones. Since I genuinely don't know, is this just a question of "lume" transition when the photo was taken?)

I don't think he can do anything about this. Plus the lume on the dial is not up to par with superlume.

I was told DSN's Fiddies are not really moddable. And frankly, at those prices, they shouldn't have to be.

And you got one of the other reasons, already. The lume lasts VERY little time...whether from sunlight or more importantly, when charged by a lamp.

On the other hand, do real PAM watches (especially the Fiddy) glow like light-sabres, or is this just a Canal St. conceit, similar to that "fat crown" idea that the fatter the more gen?

You're gonna have to buy a replacement dial from someone else and relume it with superlume C3.

Hmm. :)

Thanks, though!

There just isn't any way to ever get the movement right. Panerai spends too much time and money on embellishments. There are some pictures of mine floating around on the forum and the finishing is just lightyears beyond the reps. But we all know this, right? You will never, ever, ever fool any 'Risti with a display back PAM, not even the 036.

I will say, though, that the engraving on this E movement is a step forward.

Comparisons with the Gen really don't accomplish anything, there will always be a laundry list of inaccuracies with reps. Even the highly touted Davidsen Fiddy will be called out within moments by a true paneristi just too many little inconsistancies that are major tells to someone in the know. Even if you went ahead and changed dials relumed closer to gen, fixed the other little issues (by the way is the crown guard lever firm and tight even when opened another rep "tell") the crystal would still be your dead giveaway from the front and the movement from the back (even Davidsen's movement which is considered one of the best, is no where close to the gen's level of engraving and finish) So I suggest that you don't go handing it out to everyone for close inspection and enjoy it as what it is a very nice rep.

There just isn't any way to ever get the movement right. Panerai spends too much time and money on embellishments. There are some pictures of mine floating around on the forum and the finishing is just lightyears beyond the reps. But we all know this, right? You will never, ever, ever fool any 'Risti with a display back PAM, not even the 036.

I will say, though, that the engraving on this E movement is a step forward.

E=2002, just in case newbies PM me (yeah, I get a lot of PMs! Maybe because I'm a woman and approachable. And I love this). ;)

Thanks to you, TK471, MK08 -- I feel like I'm in Q Branch -- and to all who have replied thus far! Keep on, please! Your replies make me feel more grounded, more realistic about my rep watches, even the famed Davidsen.

If I could ask you, I'm thinking of buying a gen PAM 112 next year. But I heard the 112 was one of his most accurate models.

Any ideas which other DSN I should go for next?

If THAT one doesn't turn out well, or I feel I am not getting my money's worth, then I'll be at the point all serious rep Paneristi get to, sooner or later: modding.

By the way, here's a list of the models I have, as your suggestion guide:

PAM 076, PAM 111h (x2, my fave), PAM 113, PAM 118, PAM 127, PAM 154, PAM 177h, PAM 183h, PAM 190, PAM 199, PAM 210, PAM 217h, Fantasy Mini-Fiddy, PAM 005 (being modded by TWP, on its way).

You need a PVD model Vic

I did see a PVD with a way-cool MF orange stap on RWI, today.

However, I think the strap is what impressed me more than the watch. :lol:

Sorry, Dluddy. PVD = too masculine. Same with chronos (for me! Not in general for other women).

Get a fully modded 111 with all the fixes, I have a 111f (currently with Vac for movement service) that is fully modded out and it has that gen feel to it. To be honest I am absolutely not satisfied with "out of the box" Pams anymore things like recessed cannon pins drive me nuts. So to truly be satisfied narrow down what your top favorite Pam's are, and then have them modded out, you'll never look at your "ordinary" Pams the same way again.

I did see a PVD with a way-cool MF orange stap on RWI, today.

However, I think the strap is what impressed me more than the watch. :lol:

Sorry, Dluddy. PVD = too masculine. Same with chronos (for me! Not in general for other women).

Fair enough but I think it might look hot ^_^

Get a fully modded 111 with all the fixes, I have a 111f (currently with Vac for movement service) that is fully modded out and it has that gen feel to it. To be honest I am absolutely not satisfied with "out of the box" Pams anymore things like recessed cannon pins drive me nuts. So to truly be satisfied narrow down what your top favorite Pam's are, and then have them modded out, you'll never look at your "ordinary" Pams the same way again.

ACTUALLY! It's funny you should say that, as the recessed cannon pin now drives me insane.

There's no way I am going to fix 15 watches, and counting, so I'm just going to have to choose one or two to mod. I've been on Vaccum's tail for a while, even though he may not know it ;), so since the recent events have narrowed my choices, and The Zigmeister is in Canada, Vaclume here I come!

P.S.: Even funnier than that, is now I am sorry I spent all that money on these basically highly inaccurate models. I really really should've bought the most accurate-to-gen PAMs, but I know my personality too.

I like LOTS of stuff, not just one really turbo watch, completely modded with Jimmy this CGs, and DSN that crystals, like many guys here have.

One good thing about having spent $$$ on all these reps is that my taste has surprised me.

I used to think the white-faced PAMs were hideous. No longer. Au contraire, in fact.

I used to think Radiomirs were "un-Panerai" (oh the irony, if you know the history!). NO LONGER. My third fave watch is the Black Seal, 183.

So after the gen 112, I think I'll get a 183. A Radiomir for sure, though. They are so choice!

So, long story short, my beloved Davidsen Fiddy/PAM 127 is going back to his Gepetto in Hong Kong.

Gepetto turns out to be a very nice chap, after all, and he's trying his best to satisfy his customer. Much appreciated, David!

Here is the watch he's sending me, having apologised for the quality of the pics. Guys, anything you can point out as needing more attention will be GREATLY appreciated by me. Thank you so much! :)

300675-2549.jpg

300675-2550.jpg

300675-2551.jpg

Newbie Thoughts:

The sandwich dial seems less egg-shell white, which I believe someone had once mentioned. Also, engraving seems crisper, and the screws seem less embedded. I think the best part of the DSN Fiddy is his immaculately flush CG and fat crown. Cannon pin seems more "finished" and higher. What do you think of it all?

I was told DSN's Fiddies are not really moddable. And frankly, at those prices, they shouldn't have to be.

And you got one of the other reasons, already. The lume lasts VERY little time...whether from sunlight or more importantly, when charged by a lamp.

On the other hand, do real PAM watches (especially the Fiddy) glow like light-sabres, or is this just a Canal St. conceit, similar to that "fat crown" idea that the fatter the more gen?

Hmm. :)

Thanks, though!

My 127 from Andrew has great lume on the dial, the DSN hands are better but not that much, i have to say that it is not far behind my Seiko chrono, and the lume on that is outstanding, at the end of the day if you can read your watch when you wake up in a dark room 8 hours later then it is fine, or you can read your watch after 8 hours laying under a bush in the rain in november it was proberbly too bright to start off with, a comon fault with luminover watches. People tend to give them of good blast of white light last chance they get and then walk out in the dark 5 min later glowing like a fire work display. Certain units are worse than others particularly the ones who have to have there sleves rolled half way up the forearm so "I can see my altimeter" Now if i was still doing this line of work i would be all over a GTLS watch like a traser. always just bright enough!

My 127 from Andrew has great lume on the dial, the DSN hands are better but not that much, i have to say that it is not far behind my Seiko chrono, and the lume on that is outstanding, at the end of the day if you can read your watch when you wake up in a dark room 8 hours later then it is fine, or you can read your watch after 8 hours laying under a bush in the rain in november it was proberbly too bright to start off with, a comon fault with luminover watches. People tend to give them of good blast of white light last chance they get and then walk out in the dark 5 min later glowing like a fire work display. Certain units are worse than others particularly the ones who have to have there sleves rolled half way up the forearm so "I can see my altimeter" Now if i was still doing this line of work i would be all over a GTLS watch like a traser. always just bright enough!

Thanks for the reply!

I remember Raymond, the young kid from Hong Kong, saying when he entered a dark room his PAM 113 glowed like a light sabre from Star Wars, and it made him very happy for whatever reason.

I think I know that 'reason', and it has to do with the coolness factor. :)

But I have had universal opinions from DSN Fiddy owners that for whatever reason, this isn't the case with his Fiddies. Since it's my first watch from him, and my first "modded" one if you will, I wanted to feel that same feeling. But nada.

8 hours? Try 8 minutes...I was really disappointed in that.

My only concern is that the lume on the gen Fiddy is said to be lower than other PAMs, so is my insistance on more lume going to look freakish, or just right, hmm. We'll see!

P.S.: Just before I got into this rep racket, I had bought my boyfriend an early Christmas gift -- a gen Seiko. I am very impressed by the Seiko. Keeps beautiful time, is a solid feeling watch, almost indestructible feeling, and the lume is fantastic and long-lasting. I believe his is also water-proof, so all in all, despite that it's not one of the trendy models I've seen here like the Monster, I think he's going to love it. Hope he won't read this, though. :)

I have had 3 seikos, the first i bought just before my 16th birthday and wore it for the next 5 years untill i lost it on Exersise, i then bought another one with the insurance money and wore thay untill it was stolen so i bought a pilot chrono in winter 98 and have had that ever since, it sits in a box and onlu comes out on the declaration of war these days. All 3 of these have had great lume and been round the world with me, and been very dependable. I have a photo some where with the first one round my neck on string as the strap broke and i was not in a position to get a new one as the "Shops were closed!" I was 20 and just crossed the border in to Iraq the first time.