When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DSN Fiddy

Victoria

Sorry for being so late in chiming in, on Ferragosto (thanks for the wishes, V!) I had a 2nd instalment of my holidays and I noticed this thread just now.

According with OP official catalogue, the Fiddy is AR coated.

Single-side coated, I may add on his look and the general OP's attitude on AR coating.

Judging on the pics, the DSN Fiddy is an excellent rep. Probably one of the best PAM reps around, almost surely the best 127 rep, and surely the best DSN rep ever. Even the engraving placement on the back is correct. Just compare this watch to the DSN's $330 PAM005 and you will get a feeling.

Ok, there are some minor inaccuracies. I bet that less than 50% of the 'risti owning a Fiddy can spot them other than on a side-by-side comparison. Evildee is eagle-eyed (congrats!), and it is well known that we rep lovers can be even more able in spotting flaws than 'ristis.

And if you patronize Paneristi-full environments, V, I can't believe thay can divert their eyes off from you to bring them to your watch. So, take it easy.

Also great to read that Davidsen came through in the end (even if after a little encouragement from our beloved lanikai...)

Now this thread started me thinking about fiddy over last night and today my opinion of the fiddy has changed. Though I still do not like the gold hands (which I plan to change to silver if I ever get one), the case and domed crystal has grown on me. That's mainly from the pics you posted and all the readings on this model...

I've only one thing to say... in general about rep collecting:

Why kill yourself with all the details?

Suppose you are afraid of being called out by hardcore Risti, what are the chances that you'd meet one who knows Fiddy well? Suppose you do meet one, what are the chances that the risti knows Fiddy so well he/she can spot a fake within arms length, unless you take it off and show it to him/her in the face? The chances are slim.

I notice the different definition of 'quality' in most rep forums. Some define 'quality' by closeness of details. Some by the specs it comes with (thick crown, movement type etc). Most by what they see on pics we see on the forum. What most of us seem to have neglected is the overall 'feel' of the rep as a watch. As long as the watch resembles a design that is pleasing to the eyes and serves the purpose (time telling) well, isn't that enough? From my experience with DSN, the finish of his watch is superb and in most cases better QC. Though some of his dials are wrong, e.g. wrong placement, wrong thickness of font, I find the finishes far better in person better than what I see in the pics.

So why do we look for microscopic flaws and spend so much time and money to correct them? The answer is simple... we enjoy torturing ourselves in pure 'perfectionism' at lowest costs possible (lower than getting a gen, that is).

Sorry for being so late in chiming in, on Ferragosto (thanks for the wishes, V!) I had a 2nd instalment of my holidays and I noticed this thread just now.

Ahh, happy Italians with their month-long break. ;)

According with OP official catalogue, the Fiddy is AR coated.

Single-side coated, I may add on his look and the general OP's attitude on AR coating.

Right, that I heard.

Judging on the pics, the DSN Fiddy is an excellent rep. Probably one of the best PAM reps around, almost surely the best 127 rep, and surely the best DSN rep ever. Even the engraving placement on the back is correct. Just compare this watch to the DSN's $330 PAM005 and you will get a feeling.

Oh yes? Because I had considered the 005 from DSN at one point. Not good?

Ok, there are some minor inaccuracies. I bet that less than 50% of the 'risti owning a Fiddy can spot them other than on a side-by-side comparison. Evildee is eagle-eyed (congrats!), and it is well known that we rep lovers can be even more able in spotting flaws than 'ristis.

Definitely. But remember, SSsurfer, that sometimes a rep owner becomes a gen owner and their gimlet eye follows them.

In fact, it may well be one of the more important aspects of owning a rep watch -- you become extremely knowledgeable about the marque, if you are in any way serious about watches.

And if you patronize Paneristi-full environments, V, I can't believe thay can divert their eyes off from you to bring them to your watch. So, take it easy.

Yeah, you're right. :(

I don't want to go to a GTG, but there is an online site I'd like to join full of Paneristi (not that forum, no). They post pics of their watches, and I just wanted to join in the fun. But I'm only fooling myself.

Also great to read that Davidsen came through in the end (even if after a little encouragement from our beloved lanikai...)

Ahhh. Yes. I'm glad you are au fait about the situation. ;)

Thanks, adorato!

Why kill yourself with all the details?

Suppose you are afraid of being called out by hardcore Risti, what are the chances that you'd meet one who knows Fiddy well? Suppose you do meet one, what are the chances that the risti knows Fiddy so well he/she can spot a fake within arms length, unless you take it off and show it to him/her in the face? The chances are slim.

Seraphe, let me just say that your composed, logical reply was wonderful to read. Thanks for that. :)

I can't speak for anyone else's experience, but as I touched on in another forum (which unfortunately devolved into an unpleasant atmosphere) sometimes just the mere fact that one own's a rep:

1) Makes one look smarmy and deceitful

2) Throws the rest of our genuine jewelry, watches into disrepute

3) Allows people to have "something" on you, which they can use for leverage in social circles

Maybe that's not the case with everyone, and you know what? Maybe people like us deserve it, if we try to pass off rep items as gen items (even by the mere fact of not clarifying the situation). But we humans are complicated.

We like to have it both ways. In fact, every way.

Thanks for putting yet another nail in my pretentious coffin. This is why I feel more grounded being around you guys, than otherwise would be the case -- and yes, I'm being deadly honest.

Ahh, happy Italians with their month-long break. ;)

Well, this year my 'month-long break' is actually spliced in four 1-week-long (1-week-short, I would say :lol:) breaks.

3rd instalment will be on the 2nd week of September, for a Tai Chi stage on an island, practicing 9 hours a day, and 4th instalment on 1st week of November, for scuba diving in Madagascar on the hunt for Whale Shark.

No access to internet for me on those weeks, so don't worry if you will not see me around: I will not be ignoring (or even forgetting) you. :)

Oh yes? Because I had considered the 005 from DSN at one point. Not good?

Just some minor flaws like declared F-series while the 005 started with G-series (no 005F around). :lol:

Oh, and a too large and misplaced mosca (the Pre-V OP logo), too.

sometimes a rep owner becomes a gen owner and their gimlet eye follows them.

Uhm... I was not talking about gen-vs-rep owners' gazes, but about your charm.

My poor English and this 'typing effect' (no visual expression, no voice pitch) seem able to kill any compliments. I'll have to restrict them and/or make them clearer... ;)

I don't want to go to a GTG, but there is an online site I'd like to join full of Paneristi (not that forum, no). They post pics of their watches, and I just wanted to join in the fun. But I'm only fooling myself.

Yes, no good may come from posting our pics on a gen forum.

3) Allows people to have "something" on you, which they can use for leverage in social circles

Argh! :blink:

Don't take me too harsh, but I'm glad to keep me out from environments that kind.

Yes, no good may come from posting our pics on a gen forum.

Totaly agree with that, keep the rep pics for here.

As a side issue, I have to say DSN's customer service is really good, I bought his ultimate fiddy at the tail end of last year, a month or so ago it developed a fault, I contacted him and was surprised at his responce. No ifs no buts, just send it back. He replaced it with a new one no problem.

The one he sent had another small issue (these are reps, quality control will always be an issue), again, send it back.

Waiting for it any day now (the postman must think I'm a weirdo the way I hang around when he comes past)

So you can rest assured if anything goes wrong he is no going to walk away from you.

I think the Paneristi are on the whole a set of tossers, 99% of them would be secretly gutted if they held and inspected you watch.

F**k them! Enjoy you watch.

Well, this year my 'month-long break' is actually spliced in four 1-week-long (1-week-short, I would say :lol:) breaks.

Nice! The Lago Como/Dolomites having been one? ;)

3rd instalment will be on the 2nd week of September, for a Tai Chi stage on an island, practicing 9 hours a day, and 4th instalment on 1st week of November, for scuba diving in Madagascar on the hunt for Whale Shark.

I HAVE NEVER wanted to go to Madagascar. There is a reason, and it involves one of their most abundant "things" on the island. *shiver*

But my God, scuba diving for Whale Sharks?? SSsurfer, you are Superman, and I love it! :)

No access to internet for me on those weeks, so don't worry if you will not see me around: I will not be ignoring (or even forgetting) you. :)

Sucks, dude.

Just some minor flaws like declared F-series while the 005 started with G-series (no 005F around). :lol:

Oh geez, that's as bad as when he misspelt Officine...or was that Panerai? :p

Oh, and a too large and misplaced mosca (the Pre-V OP logo), too.

Heh, it's called a "fly"? Thanks for adding to my knowledge base!

I should really take a look at your guides in your .sig.

Uhm... I was not talking about gen-vs-rep owners' gazes, but about your charm.

B)

My poor English and this 'typing effect' (no visual expression, no voice pitch) seem able to kill any compliments. I'll have to restrict them and/or make them clearer... ;)

I understand you plenty well. And you are VERY mistaken about your English. I used to be an ESOL instructor, and you are streets ahead of my students there.

But trust an Italian to want to use his whole body to convey a message.

No wonder Orianna Fallaci refused to interview people on the phone! ;)

Don't take me too harsh, but I'm glad to keep me out from environments that kind.

I won't, don't worry. In a sense you are right.

And although you are correct in thinking that comes from a certain social background, let me tell you that I have found people are even more judgemental when they are middle-class or working class.

It's just that in those situations, they cannot really do much to harm you, because the higher you go the more it is about power. Cosa pu

I think a lot of the 'Risti think that all reps are of terrible quality, and should be avoided on that basis alone. But a growing number are increasingly concerned, not because they feel like the genuine article aren't worth it, but because they are increasingly difficult to spot.

I think a lot of the 'Risti think that all reps are of terrible quality, and should be avoided on that basis alone. But a growing number are increasingly concerned, not because they feel like the genuine article aren't worth it, but because they are increasingly difficult to spot.

Agreed. Someone even linked to RWI, showing how the reps are getting better and better.

I've said this before, but there is no way to justify wearing a rep watch as much as I try. I'm doing something wrong, and I'm doing so because I'm cheap and want LOTS, instead of the few I had before.

Sure, there are a lot of people who have many reasons (they have gens, and are worried their watch may be stolen, etc. etc.), but I'd say about 90% of rep collectors can be described thusly.

Their attitude also stems from the fact that Panerai is a cult watch. It says something about you to be able to afford this watch, yes, but more importantly, TO KNOW about this watch.

And I think that most people who appreciate watches, I mean really and truly appreciate the creativity and the skill it goes into making one, cannot stand the fact that their loves are butchered by hacks in some workroom half way around the world.

Me, I can't afford a Caravaggio, Klimt or even Hockney. Some people don't mind putting up posters of reproductions of their works -- but I don't. It feels ...weird.

Strange, I know, and I'm fine if people disagree but in that sense I can understand where the Risti are about, when they sniff their noses in the air about rep watches.

But my God, scuba diving for Whale Sharks?? SSsurfer, you are Superman, and I love it! :)

Not at all. Really. I am just a quiet, middle-aged man, and the Whale Shark is completely harmless.

Heh, it's called a "fly"? Thanks for adding to my knowledge base!

Yes, it's called that way. But not a "fly", a "mosca"! :lol:

(It comes from the very Italian ages of OP, before Richemont-Vendome eat them, and it stays used in its original form only).

No wonder Orianna Fallaci refused to interview people on the phone! ;)

Are you even familiar with Oriana Fallaci?!? Oh my, another point for you!

No, wait, I can't add another point to you. You already are out of scale. :(

I won't, don't worry. In a sense you are right.

And although you are correct in thinking that comes from a certain social background, let me tell you that I have found people are even more judgemental when they are middle-class or working class.

Surely I believe it. I did not actually mean to include money considerations in my remark. Just that you are able to cope with high-stress social environments, that I wouldn't ever be able to. I vowed my life to do the others good, so I get a little angry when I hear about someone whose first interest seems to obtain something to use against someone else.

That on this occasion that 'something' was money-related, this makes the whole thing even more averse to my eyes, but my focus was not there, that was purely incidental, it could have been anything else.

...And yes, I am aware that I may be an alien to 80% of the human population. Actually, that is exactly the reason for my 'alien in disguise' title. ^_^

there is no way to justify wearing a rep watch as much as I try. I'm doing something wrong, and I'm doing so because I'm cheap and want LOTS, instead of the few I had before.

Very honest and very appreciated.

Personally I would add that I like the look of the PAMs, but I find them outrageously overpriced (with the possible exception of the new models with in-house movements). I can withstand to overpay one watch, not tenths, and I want tenths. Should I find PAM-like watches with no brand name, I would take them.

I think I would even be happier as I would have not to worry about modding them. :lol: