When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

More customs problems

Jawo

I ordered a couple of watches from Joshua which gets shipped out via EMS to Canada Post. I was looking at the tracking information on Canada Post's website and this is what I got:

Date of Event Time of Event Location Description Retail Location Signatory Name

2007/08/14 13:47 VANCOUVER, BC International item has been sent to Canadian Customs for processing

2007/08/13 18:53 VANCOUVER, BC International item has arrived in Canada

2007/08/09 20:23 International item has left the origin country and is en route to Canada

2007/08/09 13:45 International item has been posted in origin country

I have never seen the custom for processing message before. I have recieved 40+ reps with no problems. Should I be concerned?

I have never seen the custom for processing message before. I have recieved 40+ reps with no problems. Should I be concerned?

My gut feeling is absolutely no need to worry.

It could be that the database language has been updated, and you're just seeing this now.

Another famous collector sent me 3 watches once, and I was about to add one more. I hesitated, emailing him, "Do you think it'll be stopped by US Customs? I mean, 4 watches, that's a lot."

He emailed right back, "No worries to the US/Canada".

So, take heart, dear Jawo! :)

Perfectly normal, it has to be processed before it comes into the country.

Right but Jawo isn't a newbie. He said he had received 40+ rep watches without this message ever showing up.

I don't think his concern is completely laughable -- just jarring for him.

Right but Jawo isn't a newbie. He said he had received 40+ rep watches without this message ever showing up.

I don't think his concern isn't completely laughable -- just jarring for him.

I had Federal Agents knock on my door ... Home Land Secuity... they had issues about some shipments I was getting from overseas.. not watches... i had them meet me at the gym, they called me because thankfully I was not home ... they used a lot of scare tacitcs... (ie. 25 year prison term) .. that kind of got my attention .... they wanted me to "Roll Over" on the people sending me "Nicaraguan cigars"... long story short ..I refused and they went away... my point is I can see your concern with the semantics involved but it alway's sounds sooo official ... that's just the semantics they use for protocol....No worries It'a all good...

I need to tell you that because i know how you must feel ... been there myself

I had Federal Agents knock on my door ... Home Land Secuity...

I always suspected Osama was in Hawaii!

I need to tell you that because i know how you must feel ... been there myself

In my dad's profession, the "Feds" are always sniffing, and up in his biness. Okay, not Homeland Security, but definitely IRS, and the like. One time, he arrived and his desk had tape all around it, with a Court order not to touch the contents or else he'd go to gaol.

He picked up the phone, called his lawyer, and within one day, the "audit" was over.

It's not what you know, but who you know -- though bluffing in life helps a lot. ;)

I always suspect Osama was in Hawaii!

In my dad's profession, the "Feds" are always sniffing, and up in his biness. Okay, not Homeland Security, but definitely IRS, and the like. One time, he arrived and his desk had tape all around it, with a Court order not to touch the contents or else he'd go to gaol.

He picked up the phone, called his lawyer, and within one day, the "audit" was over.

It's not what you know, but who you know -- though bluffing in life helps a lot. ;)

:o yes .. never let them see you sweat... alway's meeet them at the gym.... so the sweat looks natual .... (really happened)...

the worst that happened with watches , I was charged full duty for a Bently , early last year... ouch that hurt.. but i heard of someone else in Europe who was charged and paid about a thousand usd .. for a rep that customs called the Real Deal :blink:

Agreed, I get the same message when my reps are being taken through customs. B)

Speaking of Canadian customs, I found a Canadian-risti site where a Canadian customs officer gave a rundown of what to expect when importing watches into Canada.

Now, Jawo, this isn't necessarily intended for you, so don't get frightened or anything.

Just thought yawls up in the Great North might be interested in reading the "flip side" of our collective coin. ;)

"A definitive guide to Customs : Feb 08, 2004 - 11:15 PM

Hi everyone,

All the following applies to Canadian importers. Follow these guidelines, and you will be enlightened as to why things happen the way they do, and also to avoid certain pitfalls.

Firstly, all watches made overseas fall under the most favoured nation tariff treatment - they attract a duty rate of 5%. On top of that, regardless of where the watch is made, this item will also be taxed at a 10% excise tax rate, 7% GST rate, and in some modes of shipment, such as the postal stream, a 7% PST rate.

Here's how they are assessed: Upon its arrival at the Customs clearance area (or Customs Postal Unit) a watch's value needs to be arrived at for tax purposes. This can be gleaned from either the declaration, or, upon inspection, an invoice. Then, if that value is accepted (they're not idiots, they have lives, and expensive hobbies, too, and they know the difference between a Vostok and a Vacheron), the calculations are as follows:

The transactional value is converted into Canadian dollars (CAD), using the exchange rate of the day - that value is called the value for duty (VFD). If the VFD is over 50 CAD, a 50 CAD excise exemption is taken from that root value. (It simply means that all those taxes will be calculated on whatever value your watch is in CAD, less 50 dollars).

Next, a 5% duty rate is applied to the residual VFD, and then added to the original VFD. That combined value is called the value for tax (VFT) It is upon this value that a 10% excise rate and a 7% GST rate are applied. Here is an example:

You buy a watch for 1,000 USD - first convert the value to CAD using the exchange rate of the day, say, 1.32, so:

1,000 X 1.32 = 1,320 (VFD)

1,320 - 50 = 1,270 (Excise exemption)

1,270 X 5% = 63.50 (Duty)

63.50 + 1,270 = 1,333.50 (VFT)

1,33.50 X 10% = 133.50 (Excise tax)

1,33.50 X 7% = 93.35 (GST)

1,33.50 X 7% = 93.35 (PST)

1,000 USD - applicable duties and taxes = 383.70 CAD

Clear as mud?

This does not include, as has been mentioned, a flat fee from UPS (called a brokerage fee), or a 5 dollar Postal admin fee (when shipped in the Postal stream)

Now, how come some get through untouched, and others not? Here's why - Firstly, you have to consider the volume of shipments that arrive into Canada on a daily basis - it's voluminous! Not every single package in every single mode can be physically examined to verify that it has a correct declaration; citizens would be in an uproar, and it would take months for you to get your watch, literally. So, to facilitate the flow of goods, Customs relies on importers (or vendors abroad) to accurately declare the value of the goods being carried. Since they can't look at every one, some do 'get through' without any assessed taxes. In addition, sometimes the odd package gets dropped down the chute (in the Post office) by accident, or it

Hehe, thanks for the encoragement.....I think :o Anyhow, I know the watches and every international item has to clear customs. What I am worried about is how long it has appeared in that status. All 40+ watches I received have only remained in customs for 1 day. It is now day 4 with no update in status. Maybe they are inundated with a huge array of shipments and there is a delay in processing. Not sure. I hope that by Monday, the status changes for the better. Hoping not to see "Item has been seized by Canadian Customs".

Hehe, thanks for the encoragement.....I think :o Anyhow, I know the watches and every international item has to clear customs. What I am worried about is how long it has appeared in that status. All 40+ watches I received have only remained in customs for 1 day. It is now day 4 with no update in status. Maybe they are inundated with a huge array of shipments and there is a delay in processing. Not sure. I hope that by Monday, the status changes for the better. Hoping not to see "Item has been seized by Canadian Customs".

Jawo, all of my stuff heads through customs in hours if not a day at most.. usually it goes through the richmond sorting plant before going to the local plant for delivery. No problems with customs. I think maybe once I've had something hung up in customs.. it got delivered and the status still said in customs..

give it a day or two...

-Kaneda