When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Waterproofing for $50 from the dealer a hoax?

guanaco

Like I commented before I bought 2 PO, one the 45.5mm UPO Lite and the other a 21J PO 42mm, I bought the $50 waterproofing service from Andrew for the UPO 45.5mm, after reading the threads for the 'white lies' the dealers make I became quite upset and a bit afraid that I've been ripped off... any comments on this? Should I contact Andrew or similar? Need some help here guys, I just hope to hear that I at least get like a ''warranty'' if my watch gets some water inside, I had bought the waterproofing because I never take off my watches, not even when I take a bath...

Hmmmm,

Just like you said, I too hope you get a "warranty", however I doubt it. And the only way you will really know, is to have the watch/es tested again when you get them! which sort of makes the initial "test" a bit defunct!

There is another way of running a simple test by yourself.

I quote this from Henry Frieds', "The principles of Waterproofing Watches"

"This test indicates whether a watch is waterproof to a depth of about 5'

It consists of dipping the watch into a glass of warm water @ between 120 deg F & 140 deg F, for about 5 seconds.

The warm water will expand the air inside the case, if the case is leaky, the air will escape in the form of bubbles.

A faulty watch should be removed as soon as bubbles appear. It should then be dried immediately, to prevent outside air pressure from forcing water clinging to the case, inside the watch."

I quote this , from the book of a highly experienced watchmaker, who was technical director of the AWI.

Personally I have my own take on this, but then I'm neither a watchmaker, nor have ever been a technical director of anything!

The only problem I see with this test, is that if you immerse a watch for just a few seconds, you may well see some bubbles escape from say under the bezel, which are just trapped air, not a leak. and you pull the watch out & dry it, thinking it is not WP, when in fact it may be VERY WP!

Just FYI.

offshore

You should get your watch professionally pressure tested before you get it wet.

Even Patek suggest that their watches should be tested annually.

That is good advice, a small amount of money spent for a lot of piece of mind!

Edited by jdavis

You should get your watch professionally pressure tested before you get it wet.

Even Patek suggest that their watches should be tested annually.

Well, now THAT is a reason why this 50$ waterproofing is not a scam of your buddie joshua :lol: :lol: :lol: Even if you pay for waterproofing, you have to make sure YOURSELF that the watch is waterproof, and if not, let someone do it again :lol: :lol:

consider the $50 a tip of sorts :D as far as i know the omega rep PO'S have only 1 caseback seal & maybe 1 small o-ring seal inside the crown .

not worth paying that much to ad a lil lube to the case back seals ..

now when i recieve my rolex sub reps , 1st thing i do is remove the case tube & replace it with gen & use good water proof 3-m glue on the threads ( the factory glue is very low quality bubble gum like will leak . )

then i replace the crown with gen & lube all gaskets with silicone grease & thats all you can do to realy water proof your rep . & cross your fingers that the factory properly pressed the crystal ..

good luck dude & rock on . :D

If I were you, I would contact the dealer and tell him you don't want this water-proofing done and to refund that portion of it. Use that money to get it tested once you receive it.