When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

perfect pam 005

robideaux

here are some genuine shots first off:

44824-37449.jpg44824-37450.jpg44824-37451.jpg

44824-37452.jpg

(look at that thick crown guard)

and now the three different reps:

#1 from joshua:

44824-37453.jpg

44824-37454.jpg

44824-37455.jpg

pros: nice dial. cons: wrong case back, polished thin crown guard(G and H series are brushed and noticably thicker).

#2 from joshua:

44824-37456.jpg

44824-37457.jpg

44824-37458.jpg

pros: nice dial, nice case back. cons: thin crown guard, wrong movement (asian auto instead of 6497 manual).

and now #3, from davidsen:

44824-37459.jpg

44824-37460.jpg

44824-37461.jpg

pros: nice thicker crown and crown guard(just like G and H series). cons: wrong case back, wrong dial (should not be tritium sandwich style).

between the three of these, i think we have the perfect 005 rep.

total cost to purchase all three and compile them together (all with asian movements):

josh 1 - $178

josh 2 - $108

davids - $270 (based off price of PVD watch with CN 6497-2)

total - $556

im thinking of doing it. i hope the casebacks are swapable. anyone else wanna try?

Edited by robideaux

I asked Joshua about this a while back, he said the casebacks aren't swappable between the manual (#1) and the auto (#2) versions.

K.

why is that, did he say they threaded different? or maybe he just didn't want to do any special orders that required swapping parts? my auto gmt seems to have the same threading as my manual wind pams. i wonder why this auto case back would be an exception?

The casebacks are swappable. I have a Diavidsen caseback here which fits my PAM 28, 111 cases (same maker) no problem. Real problem is with Davidsens cases. The dials are desingned to fit exactly into a recess in the case. This perfectly centralises them so the clamps only hold the movt in place not position. Davidsens dials are 1mm bigger in dia so this means that to fit his dial in existing cases means removing that mm (not a massive problem but not good). But to fit exisiting dials to his case is a problem as the dial is too small for the recess which means that the position is held by stem and clamps and these will move in time!!

@ Kegra,

you are right, andrew's new 005 case back is sweet. his inexpensive pams come with acrylic crystal unfortunately. i am inquiring as to wether or not davidsen is willing to supply these nice thick looking crown guards and/or crown. if we throw that on andrew's new 005 and pop in a sapphire crystal, we are almost there. i also remember another member wondering if the black paint on adrew's caseback would rub off with some thinner. what do you all think? here is andrews 005:

44893-37441.jpg

The casebacks are swappable. I have a Diavidsen caseback here which fits my PAM 28, 111 cases (same maker) no problem.

It wasn't the Davidsen caseback I was talking about, but that one's wrong anyway.

BTW, did you get the email I sent on the 2nd, Mark?

K.

David will sell parts a la carte I believe. I've contacted him with inquiries for parts only, and he is always more than willing to do what he can to assist :)

I'd also like to add- David is an excellent resource and a valuable asset to the community. Top notch service and value for the money!

If we are talking closer to genuine. the problem with the black painted caseback H series, is that in the H series, there are 1200 made, and not 1000 made, and that kills it a bit. I have acquired a caseback with no paint, G series, and think that I am on my way there. along with recessed pin fix and relume by Zigs, and a good new thicker crown when Palp's project finalized, I think we may have the ultimate 005. Someday I hope.....that I can post that photo. Have a good weekend fellas.

i also remember another member wondering if the black paint on adrew's caseback would rub off with some thinner. what do you all think? here is andrews 005:

Yes i have one in my hands and the black paint can easisly taken off... I think the starting point is Andrews Pam 005.

John

To my eye, David's guards are not quite there yet--but much closer than the ones the makers are putting on the H series reps.

If Davidsen will sell the guards, the cheapest way to do this would be to buy Jos's rep and then slap a davidsen guard and new plap crown on it then send it to The Zigmeister for a relume, pin fix, and paint removal. Won't fool a single paneristi because of the caseback error and the "A''s but it's close enough.