When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Complete OMEGA Seamaster "Bond" Modding/Adjustment Guide

By-Tor

Actually, I meant "does the bezel have to be aligned a certain way to be removed". I figured out about the cardinal points of the insert being aligned with the points on the bezel. I'd like to fix mine, but I apparently don't have the superhuman finger strength necessary to remove the bezel. I'm taking the watch to the repair guy to get my second hand fixed, I'll get him to remove my bezel at the same time.

Great post, though. I like reading your reviews, too. I think RWG should pay you (and your girlfriend, too).

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, as i still see many references to this great By-Tor's guide which contains some of the pictures i done in the past

i feel to add some information to make life easier...

first things first...

1) IF you managed* and took the bezel out of the watch, next thing is to remove the insert from the bezel...easy thing

i guess even for the newest versions of SMP rep.

2) IF you are done with step 1) then don't hurry-up to glue the insert on the bezel while the bezel is still off. Just put the bezel back on the watch and after that glue the insert on it.

3) IF you didn't manage to remove the bezel in the first place (which i hear is a common issue with the latest SMP reps) you can try the plan B:

Plan B:

1) Find a very thin fine jewellers' screwdriver or a thin pin/needle and try to insert it between the insert and crystal (at the point where the insert meets the crystal). IF you manage to insert a very thin thingy in there start moving it along the crystal-insert perimeter while it's still in...Eventually the glue of the insert will be separated from the bezel...

At this point clear the old glue residues from the insert and bezel, put some new glue there, align it with the bezel and install it.

2) IF step 1 of Plan B still doesn't work AND the "hairdryer" trick doesn't seem to fight the glue you can try the acetone trick. You take an ear cleaning cotton* stick, you bath it in acetone and you rotate it all the way around the perimeter of the crystal at the point it meets the insert.

The objective doing this is to let small quantities of acetone to slide in the insert's underneath area. Once acetone goes in there, kiss the glue goodbye...

Acetone evaporates very fast, won't harm the insert's color (don't overdo it though, you have no reason to apply acetone on the insert itself) and if your crystal sits nice on the watch, it will never enter in it so no worries for the mechanical parts...

Again you need a very fine thin jewellers screwdriver or a needle to push the insert out once the glue surrenders...

Hope this helps, can't verify the process on the newest SMPs though. I don't have one.

Edited by spa

• 1 month later...

Holy Cannoli Batman ... it works!

The hairdryer trick worked perfectly. I used the low setting and held the hairdryer approx 1 cm from the crystal, moving in slow circles around the bezel for five minutes. Then, I used my fingernail to press on the pearl's "ridge" and slide the insert over to the correct position. I couldn't believe how easy it was.

Everyone ... don't even think about removing the bezel until you've tried this technique. Takes just a few min and is ridiculously easy. I should have done this weeks ago. (BTW, I have the SMP 300M chrono).

Thanks all!

• 3 years later...