When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM 249

Victoria

always been a fan of this one. i thnk its generally on sale and pretty cheap.

On Risti, it's the number one covetted watch of them all, other than the Fiddy.

In fact, have you noticed how they are very big on Radiomirs? I notice in the rep world it's the exact opposite. Luminors rule.

flav did a really cool custom pam with luminor case and cali dial

Oh well, that's helpful now, Phoband! :lol:

P.S.: Here is David's "improved hands" PAM 249 (I think that's the 262, since it has a choc dial, but...)

http://replica-watch.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23446

302325-1653.jpg

At least one day a week I feel like wearing the Cal dial, so I have two, a 45mm and a 47mm. I went with Davidsen for both and ordered each with no markings at all. With no Panerai marking, these homages are being posted more and more on gen forums, I imagine it is driving some people crazy. There is also the 1938a from RWC to consider. Sort of a contraversial watch as it also gets posted on the gen forums, but gets labled as a rep by some paneresti. Also, it goes for a bit more, you can pick on up for about 600 (usd) used which I actually think isn't a bad deal. The case quality is really good and there are no lug screw issues and it isn't a screw down crown, so no worries there but the lum is terrible.

302329-1651.jpg

302329-1652.jpg

taste is different

i think this is a very ugly watch... and this blue hands looks like $2 plastic hands. Also i hate this radiomir case... to feminin for me... and to big for a girl (47mm).

"is this a $20 walmart watch???"

- "NO - it is $$$$$$ watch from Panerai"

"ohhhhh sorry" :-)

was this 249 not the model which we had discuss on my "is panerai a gay watch" thread?

taste is different

i think this is a very ugly watch... and this blue hands looks like $2 plastic hands. Also i hate this radiomir case... to feminin for me... and to big for a girl (47mm).

Perhaps some men think that, but I don't. My Fiddy and 217h look just fine on me. B)

I found an interesting web article about this phenomenon last night. A PAM owner's wife tried his watch on, and it looked fine on her. He was forced to observe:

hxxp://www.paneristi.com/archives/pr_review/index.html

"It is interesting to note that on a woman the Panerai ceases to look like a huge watch, and starts being a piece of jewellery, like a bangle."

YES! Bang on. Mystery solved.

"is this a $20 walmart watch???"

- "NO - it is $$$$$$ watch from Panerai"

"ohhhhh sorry" :-)

was this 249 not the model which we had discuss on my "is panerai a gay watch" thread?

That's great, because being a woman it makes sense for me to wear a watch considered effeminate.

In fact, if Chris is feeling agreeable, I'll gladly take his Cali from him to up his machismo points. :p

The case quality is really good and there are no lug screw issues and it isn't a screw down crown, so no worries there but the lum is terrible.

Hmm, I've also read a few comments over at RWI where basically the guys were saying "Good first effort, David", but perhaps awaiting a better version for the price.

By the way, apparently the 249 wears "smaller" than many 47mm PAMs because of the dial shape.

Here is a compare-contrast with the 232. Same 47mm, but an odd visual effect of seeming smaller!

302345-1640.jpg

here the pam249 without modification.

THANKS FOR THE PICS, ROLLI! I knew you wouldn't fail. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I am a little scared about your lug alteration, since I don't think I have a reputable watchsmith here to do that. And each of my Radiomirs with the exception of the base 210, has given me lug probs.

302352-1639.jpg

:wub:

I still prefer the 183 Black Seal better, but your photos are ridiculously good-looking (esp. the straps...WHICH REMINDS ME!).

IMO the 249/232 arnt as well made as the 45mm Radiomir reps (183). It feels awefully cheap when you screw down the crown. Plus you need to modify the lugs etc. etc. etc.

I didnt like it AT ALL and sold it right away. Not because of the design, its simply a cheap replica

victoria,

the lug modification is very simple. each watchmaker can make this.

unfortunately my watchmaker is too expensive. when i have a little bit more time,

i can talk with other watchmaker here and find out whether one of them can make some.

rolli

pam249 lug mod before and after:

post-2837-1187615651_thumb.jpg post-2837-1187615668_thumb.jpg

Pam232 lug mod before and after:

post-2837-1187615690_thumb.jpg post-2837-1187615701_thumb.jpg

Pam183 lug mod:

post-2837-1187615712_thumb.jpg post-2837-1187615723_thumb.jpg

I love my Cali! And I'll grab any excuse to publish my pics again :-)

I got this from Joshua last October... before the genuine was released. So it has a flaw.

On the Pam website, the Cali was shown with "California" written on the dial at 12. But this was a pic of the prototype... the production model doesn't have this.

Never mind. At least I got my 249 before the Paneristi did :-)

I have mine mounted on H K Tan vintage distressed leather that Aaron stripped from a derelict railway carriage. I think it the perfect strap for this watch. I can't imagine ever wanting to change.

302688-1388.jpg

302688-1389.jpg

302688-1390.jpg

302688-1391.jpg

Keep this next image in your mind for comparison... (you'll find out why, later)

302688-1392.jpg

Wrist shots (on original rep strap):

302688-1393.jpg

302688-1394.jpg

Details (love that high-dome plexi crystal....)

302688-1395.jpg

302688-1396.jpg

302688-1397.jpg

Finally, here is my watch, photographed on the Cali page of the panerai catalogue.

302688-1398.jpg

Hehe... my pic of the back of the watch (above) is much better than the pic in the catalogue.

I love it when that happens :-)

flav did a really cool custom pam with luminor case and cali dial

I actually have this watch done by Flav, beautifully decorated and accurate swan neck regulated movt. and all panerai badging removed. It has the more accurate cali dial and hands all with a decent lume, and a very correct looking domed plexi crystal. The cali dial I have always loved but couldn't stand the rad case, this is a perfect blend. Looks very period in detail with the domed plexi crystal and mini-fiddy case/crown/cg. Of all the watches I've had this is the one that gets all the comments, its beautiful.