When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Going to Paris & London for a couple of weeks.

gioarmani

Staying near the Eiffel, then in Montmartre, for the end of August in about a week. Then in Hyde Park, London for a few days, then off to Bath & the west country for another week.

Any suggestions as to some "unique" places to visit or eat? Not the usual touristy crap; definitely something interesting.

Also, any shopping to spots to pick up a good quality rep?

Thanks.

Staying near the Eiffel, then in Montmartre, for the end of August in about a week. Then in Hyde Park, London for a few days, then off to Bath & the west country for another week.

Forum member, Ryyannon (whom I mention seemingly every other post), lives in the Montmartre area. He may show up here with touring tips, but if I know him, he's out having fun with his putes instead.

Any suggestions as to some "unique" places to visit or eat? Not the usual touristy crap; definitely something interesting.

In Paris, Les Egouts (the sewers -- as unique a visit to the underground network of sewers as you can get anywhere in the world).

It's closed in winter, IIRC, so you're just in time. I think it was free with my 3-day Tourist pass, one time, but it was very reasonably priced anyway.

In London, you COULD do a walking tour of the Jack the Ripper murders in East London. You may find that touristy, but I assure you, I'd rather do that than stand in the queue in the Tower of London any day.

I'm from London, so I could be somewhat prejudiced though. OH! Don't forget to catch sight of the charred ruins of the Cutty Sark in Greenwich. Baskets! :angry:

(I didn't see the 'places to eat' bit, sorry about that. I see Puggy is taking care of you, and anyway, I have expensive tastes. *g* One example, Les Portes des Indes...an incredible dining experience of the most luxurious kind. But basically most people would scoff at what amounts to a bit of curry) ;)

@Pugwash below: DRAT THESE MONTS! Why can't you all live in nice places, like Le Marais. ;)

@Pugwash yet again: YOU MENTION LE MARAIS! My favourite area because it's atmospheric with all the rabbis in their black togs, busily scurrying everywhere. It's got a great vibe that area, and when I was last there a few years ago, still retained a bit of that old Parisian shabby-chic air fast disappearing...

@FxrAndy: Concur about the old, traditional pub suggestion. There are some great ones in London, like the Princess Louise, Mason's Arms in Edgware, and the like. @Gioarmani: If you're unused to rural villages, where the most authentic pubs are found, perhaps a good compromise is around the Oxford area, like Abingdon. We British tend to be unforgiving towards strangers, and foreigners in general, so please don't take the stares, and cold shoulders to heart if you do get that reception. Just buy everyone a round, and you're in like Flynn. ;)

Also, any shopping to spots to pick up a good quality rep?

In Paris, I would recommend going to one of the Grec shops. It's not at all what you think of when you have Paris cuisine, but it's top stuff. :D

303347-771.jpg

It's very much the antithesis of Parisian Cuisine, but I love them so ... Ask for one with mayonnaise and Harissa (stupidly hot chilli paste/sauce) if your pallet stretches to the spicy. Just order a Grec-frites (kebab and fries) and enjoy!

Also, you could go to a Lebanese restaurant or head down to the Marais for some decent Jewish falafel.

Forum member, Ryyannon (whom I mention seemingly every other post), lives in the Montmartre area. He may show up here with touring tips, but if I know him, he's out having fun with his putes instead.

He's in Montparnasse. I lived in Montmarte. :D

When you are in Uk try to find an old country pub that does not belong to a chain like weather spoons, they some times have some of the best lunches you could think of, I was in a small vilage outside Andover earlyer this year witha pub called the black swan, i enjoyed a roast beef and stilton sandwich washed down with a couple of pints of pedigree. the food in the chain places is generaly good but it is like macdonalds, the same every where. You have to go off thebeaten track to find old pubs but they are worth it.

I may be thin, but I am one hell of a serious foodie...and a fashionwhore. So don't worry about the cost for a phenomenal meal or good shopping; I just want something different & unique. I've already done the touristy [censored] to the nth over there, and am looking for a totally different trip.

On an interesting note, a friend of my mother who used to work as a casting agent overseas, got us reservations at the famous Lahore (sp?) Indian/Pakistani place in Whitechapel, the same night the lovely Mrs. Helen Mirren is dining! :)

Edited by gioarmani

@ Pug--interesting. The only harrisa I've ever had was a Moroccan lentil soup.

@ Fxr--absolutely. I've done the pub steak & guinness pie; loved it. Next up, a plowman's lunch.

Excellent ideas to all--definitely keep 'em coming. Got tons of time to fill...

First of all, forget about buying reps in Paris, you'll only find a few crappy one in the flea market of Saint Ouen (nice place to visit if you like flea markets, BTW)

In Paris, its best only to eat at McDonalds. Everything else is _ridiculously_ overpriced. I paid 4 euros (!!!) for a 0.2l coke at the CHEAPEST chinese junkyard restaurant somehwere around la tour d'eiffel

C'mon, you gotta be kidding. :o

Yes, everything is extremely overpriced, especialy for a dollar-income tourist, since the euro is higher everyday, but you've got tons of nice place to eat (won't be cheap, though). If you're looking for high en retaurants, better take some reservation in advance.

What kind of restaurant are you looking for? Cheap, expensive, French, Italian, Japanese...?

He's in Montparnasse. I lived in Montmarte. :D

Never realised you lived in Paris Pug... are you french ???

@vbarret

Hey, I live in the Marais B)

A great place to visit, BTW, tons of museums, every building is like 5 to 8 century old, monuments at every crossing... I love this place... Start from the 'place des Vosges', take the 'rue des Franc Bourgeois' and walk through the Marais... shops are open on sunday, if the weather's nice, it'll be a great souvenir...

Cheers

One way of doing it - and perhaps the best, depending on one's personality - is to simply choose a place that appeals to you at a given moment...usually when walking around a particular neighborhood.

It's always an unexpected adventure, and less a case of playing the lottery than trusting one's own instincts and the magic of the moment.

Otherwise, just reserve at a string of 'the best' places (La Tour d'Argent; Le Grand Vefour; Le Jules Verne (first floor of the Eiffel Tower with a panoramic view - not a tourist restaurant at all): Lucas Carton; and so on.

I personally feel that the club scene here is dreadful, but I'm the sort of person who feels that Paris had already peaked in the late 20s and has been going steadily downhill ever since.

But perhaps I'm just projecting...

There's Regine's, Castel's and a whole bunch of sinister high-end places full of well-heeled poseurs. There are a large number of sinister little bar/music places full of moneyless poseurs. There are some fairly decent Clubs Echangists (otherwise known as...ugh...swinger's clubs) and some lovely churches and Cathedrals - in short, something for every taste.

Paris, like most interesting cities with a past, is a place to stroll in, explore and let oneself be momentarily carried away by. It often reserves an excellent welcome for charming newcomers, but just be sure not to stick around too long: the welcome wears off rapidly.

Never realised you lived in Paris Pug... are you french ???

No, I'm English, but I lived in Paris until April this year. We invited you to the Paris get-togethers a few times, but you never replied ...

I left Paris in April (after 8 years there ...) and moved to Scotland.

@ Fast--nothing too high end; we'll only be doing two or three elegant dinners (only so many suits I care to wear on vacation) and I don't care to drop more than $300 per meal (for the both of us).

@ Ry--Yes, French nite-clubs are even worse than the British ones ,save for a few. The last club we were in a few years ago in Paris looked like some dated set from Polanski's "Frantic".

We went to London a little over a year ago, here's a few things we enjoyed:

- ferry ride to Greenwich viewing interesting new residential architecture along the Thames. In Greenwich there is the Museum of Space & Time, also the GMT line imbedded in the ground. The Museum was actually quite entertaining, in a primary school sort of way, the highlight was John Harrison's clocks.

- John Soane's townhouse. I forgot where that's located but Soane, an 18th century civil architect, a pack rat who collected pieces of greek temples, statues, tons of paintings, furniture etc. He built and kept adding on to his townhouse to accommodate his collection. This building is insane, with cutouts in walls with built in shelving, large panel doors attached to walls that swing out to show paintings mounted on the back of the panels. Every inch of space in this townhouse has been ingeniously utilized to show his collections, really crazy.

- Whitechapel Bell Foundry tour. Longest running business in England, been in the same location since 1700s, they manufacture bells of all sizes. The owner who gives the tour is very funny, gently pokes fun at his guests. Really interesting tour.

- Masala Zone restaurants, I believe there are 3. Very inexpensive new Indian cuisine, very light and fresh, everything we had was superb.

Hope this helps, enjoy your vacation.

Ryyannon is right - just get out and stroll through the city for a day. Or if you have not been here before and want to spend the first day on a quick tour - take the Batobus up and down the seine for a very nice river view of the city. See something you like - hop off.

Batobus

Usil

ok, it's too high end, but if you're a fashion [censored], you're gonna love it : 'L'exploreur', located @ 'rue des rosiers' (in the Marais, jewish district, the ultimate fashion store, you got the most exclusive brands in the world, unique, truely unique (my GF is a fashion [censored]).

Prices are truely crazy, so if you want a place with fashion you can afford, go to the 'Bon March

C'mon, you gotta be kidding. :o

Yes, everything is extremely overpriced, especialy for a dollar-income tourist, since the euro is higher everyday, but you've got tons of nice place to eat (won't be cheap, though). If you're looking for high en retaurants, better take some reservation in advance.

I'm not (anymore?) a dollar-income tourist, I currently live within the European Union&I also earn my money there. I have been to almost any big city in the western world, and let me tell you that Paris is by far the most expensive city IN THE WORLD. I have NEVER spend so much money on drinks and food EVER.

Not in Boston, not in New York, not in London (ok, it was a long time ago when I was there), not in Zurich, not in Hamburg, not in Amsterdam, not in Berlin, not in Munich, not in Stockholm, not in Warszawa, not in Vienna, not in Dublin, not in Edinburgh, not in Glasgow, not in Barcelona, not in Milan, not in Rome, not in Chicago, not in Istanbul, not in Ankara, not in Rotterdam, not in Eindhoven, not in Venlo, not in Tallinn, not in Kopenhagen and not in and not in ANY other city I have EVER been to.

I'm sorry, Paris is a LOVELY city, but food&drinks are WAY WAY WAY too expensive, even when compared to other major cities.

I'm sorry, Paris is a LOVELY city, but food&drinks are WAY WAY WAY too expensive, even when compared to other major cities.

London is more expensive to live there. Considerably more.

Oh, and I can tell you that Paris is cheaper to eat and drink in than most of the South-East of England if you don't hit the tourist spots.

Gio,

It sounds like you've got a good itineray going for London. I'm not sure if you're a cigar smoker but I can't think of a better way to compliment a great meal, than to follow it up with some Cubans. Desmond Sautters (on Mount Street) humidor has a wonderful selection of the best Cuban smokes.

A custom pair of shoes or boots from Lobb mght be a nice treat too ;)

I've only done the touristy things in Paris, so no advice for you there.

Have a nice time!

London is more expensive to live there. Considerably more.

Oh, and I can tell you that Paris is cheaper to eat and drink in than most of the South-East of England if you don't hit the tourist spots.

Not my, nor my friends' impression of Paris. I have to admit though, I havnt been to london for a while. Dont really like it that much. Too many bankers who think they are cool, because they spend 5.000$ on a XXL bottle of vodka

And from my trips, London does seem considerably more than Paris; I believe London is one of the top 5 most expensive cities in the world next to Moscow, Oslo, Tokyo & Z