When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Dream watch update...........getting closer.

Justasgood

AS outlined here....

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=41725

This movement - Gen 1560 from 1961

303453-677.jpg

and this All original Gen 1961/1962 Gilt 5512/5513 dial303453-678.jpg

Willl be installed into this:

And now with Gen Bezel and insert!

303453-679.jpg

303453-680.jpg

303453-681.jpg

The MBW retention ring was used and the Gen Bezel snapped snuggly on. The crystal is a Gen Tropic 19 for the now obvious reasons. As for choosing an MBW case.....Well......for the $375.00, I couldn't go wrong. It is waterproof, all gen parts fit and I can mod it to my satisfaction.

As for the 1680 Red....It is an MBW that I re-lumed.........And it has fooled a few Rolex "Experts"

My watchmaker should have the movement overhauled/serviced by end of next week.

Still need Gen Gilt hands or heavily Patina'd Stainless hands for Caliber 1560.

Don't go away......

Edited by Justasgood

Is that a gen dial as well??....some serious money in that baby-Great work

C'mon Star, you lazy S.O.B.......read the link! Sheesh....why do I even bother ;) PM on it's way.....

All totalled I have:

MBW - $375.00

Gen Beacelet - $550.00

Gen insert and bezel - $300.00

Gen Dial - You don't want to know

Gen 1560 Movement - $850.00

Service and Gen hands - $250.00ish

Total when complete.......Priceless and far cheaper than buying a Gen 1961 Gilt 5512/5513 with original dial......Current market price.......Probably $6000.00 and up. What a bunch of fools.......

Damn fine piece of craftsmanship, K! :wub: Awesome!

I had an OEM bezel assembly and could not get it to sit on the case of either the MBW 1665 and 1680. For some reason, it would not click into place. Fortunately, the MBW parts are sufficiently close to OEM.

The T-19 looks terrific & have thought about doing the same to my Tudor sub. I've seen gen 1680 owners @ TZ do the same and it's certainly an option if one can't stand the cyclops.

I can imagine the cabbage the gen dial set you back. :)

Enjoy!

Damn fine piece of craftsmanship, K! :wub: Awesome!

I had an OEM bezel assembly and could not get it to sit on the case of either the MBW 1665 and 1680. For some reason, it would not click into place. Fortunately, the MBW parts are sufficiently close to OEM.

The T-19 looks terrific & have thought about doing the same to my Tudor sub. I've seen gen 1680 owners @ TZ do the same and it's certainly an option if one can't stand the cyclops.

I can imagine the cabbage the gen dial set you back. :)

Enjoy!

Funny thing is, my watchmaker was shut out by Rolex on a Gen Bezel assembly for a customer's GEN 5513. In steps Mr. Justasgood, Picks up an MBW, sells the Bezel assembly for the cost of the watch (His idea not mine), I get to keep the MBW and just happen to find the gen set I have now. The MBW Bezel fit perfectly on the Gen 5513 and as you can see, the Gen bezel fits perfectly on the MBW case.

As for the dial......I only wish I could have paid with vegetables :lol:

i hope you didnt pay too much considering its a redial at best. its not that accurate and shouldnt have cost more than $150 at the most and hopefully a lot less. its essentially worthless to all but rep hobbyists but the vintage market being what it is alongside both the lack of any decent rep dials and lack of knowledge amongst many in this sector means there is still a value there albeit small.

your watch is also going to have the wrong shaped case for a vintage 5512/5513 using that as a basis too but theres no option really for the reps since they all use the 1680 shape.

im not sure i follow your logic ref the value of a gen gilt dial and your outlay unless you are trying to imply that you are going to end up with a quality gilt dial rolex at the end for way less money. hopefully you will have a watch you are happy with and enjoy but its not going to pass much scrutiny and have negligable resale value save parts costs while most importanly of all, will never be a gen. it seemed from the language that you were suggesting you would have one over on the gen community somehow but i hope this was misinterprited.

i also personally find the whole MBW bezel tale distasteful to say the least too and rather surprising given the disparity in both finish, quality and operation but hey ho. even the "gens" on ebay are rather far behind the real deal.

Edited by thewightstuff

Hey Wightstuff, you forgot to post pics of your 2 watches (like before....many times) :gathering:

This is a rep forum, not the Rolex forum. Don't be so hard and try to be respectful.

I've bought around 10 reps now, which adds up to a pretty nice gen. But if I had, I wouldn't have learned how to shape crown guards, vintage an insert, drill lug holes, change a crystal, and the list goes on. Remember, this is a fun hobby for most of us. Our enjoyment comes from actually "working on" our watches unlike most gen owners. I think we all pretty well know we can never build a gen, we just have a good time doing what we do.

Edited by predfan2001

if you could show me where i was being disrespectful that would be great since i cant see any instances and last time i checked, just saying something was so didnt make it thus. it may help me to avoid further tellings off by you in the future which would make all happy i am sure.

since we are all here to learn, as you so succinctly stated, it would have been amiss of me to not note that the "expensive " dial was a redial at best and that the foundation of the build was flawed also especially when given the implied thought that this was going to be the mother of all gilts and indestinguishable from the real deal. i could have pointed out issues with the movement for this also but chose not too. if there was as much spent on the dial as implied then perhaps it would arm justasgood with information to get a refund of money he should be due. paying vintage gilt prices for a dial that is essentially worthless save for rep projects due to lack of knowledge isnt fair. increasing understanding by pointing out where things are wrong must surely be better than just blindly suggesting everything is great. keeping quiet, especially out of politeness is just as bad a purposefuly misleading with wrong information and in either no one learns anything to move forward with their hobby.

perhaps your post and time would have been better used discussing the technical content of mine rather than puffing your chest and riding to the defence of perceived offended members. if having the authenticity of a part question or pointed out offends members then perhaps this is not the correct hobby for them. while my post wasnt sugar coated, and why should it be, it certainly wasnt rude or unconstructive. i find it rather sad that your outrage is saved only for me and not for the conspiring with a watchmaker to "scam" a customer on a non rolex bezel or some of the other comments in the thread if they are indeed to be believed.

do not use my ownership of gen vintage rolex in some backhanded manner to poo poo the validity of my comments either, it shows a distinct lack of maturity and only emphasises the fragility of your reasoning. in some respect owning vintage gens should give some credence to any information i may have within this narrow range and not the contrary. likewise stop using your "choice" to collect multitudes of reps over a single gen as a badge of membership and rank over me or to imply you are in the rep club and i am not. ive thrown away more reps than you mention you have bought and im not even close with most on this forum and see not how it matters in this case. an ability to purchase an item and a passion, love,understanding and technical knolwedge of the same are not related in the least bit whether it be watches, cars or anything else you care to mention. if you simply mention it all the time because you feel inadequate with your lack of a genuine rolex model and feel the need to state that you could have had one but choose to buy ten reps instead then not only am i sure there are other forums where you can discuss this in more depth but you should perhaps rethink your strategy with regards to personal satisfaction.

having had a lot of reps, most terrible, enables me to pass comment on their varying quality and comparibility with more and more detail and reference but has not once improved my knowledge with regards to comparison with gen models, parts, workmanship, feel etc.

only using and studying genuine models has provided me with this information and ability to compare and even then its restricted only with the very few vintage models i am familiar with.

Edited by thewightstuff

I see some clarifications are needed:

First the Gilt dial has been confirmed as Gen and original by no less than 5 Rolex Experts (Including one who wrote the ultimate book on Vintage Rolex watches Mr. Rolex).

Next, I don't expect this to be the "Mother of all" Gilt dial watch. I expect it to be a watch representing one I'll never be able to buy as all original.

The movement service and hands are to be at the watchmaker's cost and use all Gen parts including hands. The watch as pictured has the Rep hands which I re-lumed along with the dial.

No one scammed anybody. The customer was informed of the aftermarket bezel and cost. Had I found the gen combo in time, it would have been used on the customer's watch.

As for the case.....only Anal retentive so called "Rolex Afficianado's" would notice the difference.

I myself have owned over 15 Vintage and ModernSubs. I build 'em the way I like them. Not to please the masses.

I do however get much satisfaction from the nice comments I get from the members here and elsewhere on my work.

But hey, thanks for your feedback.

Edited by Justasgood

i hope you didnt pay too much considering its a redial at best. its not that accurate and shouldnt have cost more than $150 at the most and hopefully a lot less. its essentially worthless to all but rep hobbyists but the vintage market being what it is alongside both the lack of any decent rep dials and lack of knowledge amongst many in this sector means there is still a value there albeit small.

I saw that one for sale but didn't want to deal

with international tranaction form an unknown seller. I've needed one myself for over 2 years - you should consider yourself lucky to have found that one regardless of the spots

its a real gilt dial. good luck finding hands

This dial dates from before the period when it became mandatory to list the fact that the dial used Tritium.

your watch is also going to have the wrong shaped case for a vintage 5512/5513 using that as a basis too but theres no option really for the reps since they all use the 1680 shape.

Is this a better shape?

303937-318.jpg

im not sure i follow your logic ref the value of a gen gilt dial and your outlay unless you are trying to imply that you are going to end up with a quality gilt dial rolex at the end for way less money. hopefully you will have a watch you are happy with and enjoy but its not going to pass much scrutiny and have negligable resale value save parts costs while most importanly of all, will never be a gen. it seemed from the language that you were suggesting you would have one over on the gen community somehow but i hope this was misinterprited.

No, I implied that "I" will have a watch I lusted after without spending the ridiculous Gen prices. As for re-sale, it won't be for sale so it really doesn't matter.

i also personally find the whole MBW bezel tale distasteful to say the least too and rather surprising given the disparity in both finish, quality and operation but hey ho. even the "gens" on ebay are rather far behind the real deal.

Edited by Justasgood

It was no hard tell to tell this as a fake dial, teh easiest giveaway is the big red font, alone with this a fake red can be seen easily. But the most important fact IMO is that nobody in the right mind would TOUCH a gen dial, let alone grind the edges off to fit it in such a poor case (poor for the surrounding good parts).

Justasgood, there seems to be confusion about your pics. The pic shows that you have the case complete for the 5513 and you trial fitted a 1680 red movement in it. Your gilt dial can't go in till you get the movement done. The link to your last post shows the dial you are going to use. Correct?

Justasgood, there seems to be confusion about your pics. The pic shows that you have the case complete for the 5513 and you trial fitted a 1680 red movement in it. Your gilt dial can't go in till you get the movement done. The link to your last post shows the dial you are going to use. Correct?

Yes, I am waiting for the movement service and hands. In the meantime, I am giving the case some real world love and patina so it is fitted with my MBW Red dial and movement.

The Gen Gilt dial fits in the MBW case snuggly and shouldn't need any modification.

Oh, and Good Morning to all!