When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

AR Coating Project...

DuDro

After compiling enough tools to now become dangerous, I've decided to tackle my own AR coating project! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I have to admit that I'm a bit nervous about this, but the venture into the unknown makes it all the more exciting. I just hope that in the end, the results are positive and I will be awarding myself a nice set of AR coated reps.

For this project, I've decided to separate the coating into two groups: 1) Group A will have double sided coating with a heat bake/curing to impart maximum durability, and 2) Group B will have a single sided coating with a minimal level of heat curing so that the cyclops lens does not come off.

I will be experimenting on the temperature for Group B so that the adhesive on the lens is not compromised. The exact temperature has yet to be determined, so "my guy" will need to "play it by ear". I trust the guy. He has a PhD in Physics and runs his own optical engineering lab with over 30-years of experience.

And now onto the guinea pigs...errrr....I mean subjects for my first run...

The Group:

305120-526.jpg

Group A:

305120-527.jpg

305120-528.jpg

Group B:

305120-529.jpg

The existing coating on the UPO will first be removed to avoid any issues that may arise.

I will post some photos of the group with the crystals removed for a "before" shot later this weekend. The crystals are scheduled for drop-off on Monday morning, and I should have them back within a week.

I need to give some credit to chieftang and his thread for being a great resource for this project. My goal is to have my watches turn out as nice as the ones he did. :)

Stay tuned...

Please let me know if this works and is available!!

I think the idea of stripping the uPO and doing the crystal with double AR is a good one. I would love to see a systematized way of doing this, as it would enable us to circumvent the price gouging on the super-reps. For example, one could order the SFSO with the asian movement, and get the AR done aftermarket.

We could pressure the rep maker to release asian movement versions of the super-reps without AR and get them for half the price and then do the AR mod afterwards.

Just to be clear....I'm doing this for my own collection.

I currently do not have plans to take requests from other members. IF everything turns out well and IF I have time, I may consider accepting requests....We shall see...

Monday, 08/27/07, Update...

I was able to remove the crystals from my PAM087, SMP Chrono, and UPO...See Below...

PAM087:

PAM087_Before.JPG

SMP Chrono:

SMP_Chrono_Before.JPG

UPO:

UPO_Before.JPG

However, I'm stuck and not able to remove the crystals from my IWC GST Ti Chrono and IWC AMG Ingenieur Ti Chrono...Hmmm...Maybe it's the titanium cases not being as forgiving as SS. I'm going to locate a local shop and ask for some assistance. I don't want to risk damaging the crystal or case.

The stubborn titanium cases:

IWC_Ti_Cases.JPG

Tomorrow the removed crystals will be off to the lab...More to follow... :rolleyes:

Wednesday, 08/28/07 Update...

I was able to remove the crystals from the IWC GST and Ingenieur. Stubborn suckers but eventually they gave up their goods...

I realized that I forgot to add a "before" shot of the PAM048 crystal. Anyhow, it's with the rest of them at the lab and the engineer is prepping them for the coating.

The engineer is creating a "cell" that holds each crystal around the edges. The cell is basically a metal plate with a cut-out to fit the crystal. He stated that the "lip" that he creates to hold crystal in place measures less than a 10th of a millimeter, and that it will be virtually unnoticeable when the crystal is mounted.

I read in chieftang's thread that any existing coating on the crystals must be removed. I asked the engineer to perform a thorough cleansing and stripping of any existing coating on the crystals. He stated that he will be using boric acid with some mild, physical agitation to remove any coating from the crystals. I know that AR coating removal has been discussed before and some members have had a real tough time with it.

I'll get some additional details from the engineer on his exact process of removing AR and post it later.

I should have the crystals back next Wednesday. I'll post some photos of the crystals before I mount them back...Stay tuned for more! :rolleyes:

Is it difficult to pop-off the crystal from case? What kind of tools we need?

This is what I used to "pop out" the crystals from my Omega and Panerai...

P1010001.JPG

My titanium IWC watches were a bit more difficult. I had to suspend each case in a table vise and tap the crystal from inside with a wooden dowel and mallet. They came right out with a light tap.

I tried using my specialized tools from above, but the tolerances were exceeded and the tools became temporarily disabled...Ouch! :p

• 2 weeks later...

Tuesday, 09/18/07 Update...

Still another delay...The engineer is working at a very slow pace. He is a really nice guy, very knowledgeable, but is hindered by his ripe old age of 82!

I check in with him about twice a week. He thinks he should be done by Wednesday. I hope so!!!

I can't wait to see the results and get my watches back together...Stay tuned for more!