When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Have you even been fooled by a rep?

anton

If we were fooled. How would we know?

1) You were informed by another person that the watch-wearer told them it's a rep

2) You eventually received a confession from the watch-wearer

3) You later saw a "tell" detail which you didn't catch the first time

Many ways.

EDIT: As seen by the "dagger" oops in another thread, I am not at that level of eagle-eyedness, so I am sure I have been fooled many times. But recently, a chap posted a photo of his PAM 005, and someone said, "Gen right?", because of the "mosca" placement. I'm not sure, but I believe he got it wrong.

Panerai is now an icon within replicas nowadays...

Nearly everyone in replica watches has 1 (or more) Panerais.

So Panerais are out of question for now. It is very easy to spot a fake panerai even with additional mods...

I bet there aren't many people who can directly tell if an *Omega Railmaster (regular size) is fake or not from someone else's wrist...

* Brand and watch are random, replace it with other less popular brands among replicas than Panerai.

Edited by deepsea

As seen by the "dagger" oops in another thread, I am not at that level of eagle-eyedness, so I am sure I have been fooled many times. But recently, a chap posted a photo of his PAM 005, and someone said, "Gen right?", because of the "mosca" placement. I'm not sure, but I believe he got it wrong.

The last time I met an 'emp' at an AD wearing a Rep he was fired shortly thereafter.

Rather new, and condescending, he didn't know who I was, and didn't think that I would notice his Sub was a Rep.

He was actually rather snotty when I asked to look at a GMT, and seemed to imply that he didn't think I could afford such a watch when he inquired, "Well. What is that you're wearing there?" without making a move to open the case.

So, I took off my comparably cheap Carbon Fiber dialed Croton Chrono and lay it on the counter. He decided on his own he was worthy to pick up my watch, and did so with a bit of sniff and a wrinkled brow. So while he was, I must suppose, inspecting my watch to determine if he thought I was worthy of handling the GMT, or just simply bedazzled by the changing patterns of the dial in the light, I reached in my wallet and pulled out my service ticket for my Sub that was back from Geneva. (which was why I was there in the first place)

I laid my service ticket on the counter, where my watch had been, and asked again to examine the GMT, and explained that I would also like to pick up my Sub which was back from it's trip to the spa.

Apparently, the fact I allowed him to molest my watch without complaint AND that I had another rather expensive watch of my own in the back room waiting for me wasn't enough to persuade him to allow me to view the GMT. He simply excused himself quickly and practically ran to retrieve my Sub, which he brought back to me while TAKING IT OUT OF THE SERVICE BOX, which he laid down underneath the counter, behind the register....

Hmmm..

He started to hand me my Sub while saying he was SURE I'd want to wear it, whereupon I had to reply, No I don't wish to wear it right now, I wish to try on the GMT that I asked for, AND I wish that you weren't putting your fingerprints on my freshly serviced watch after taking it out of it's box that you shouldn't be opening at all, let alone while walking across the sales floor with it, AND I wish that you hadn't first handled and smeared my other watch while ignoring me while I was waiting for you to retrieve the GMT for me.

"But, but.. I'm sorry.."

That's ok, you can place MY service box on the counter here, next to my two watches you've handled, and go get YOUR manager to explain to HIM your lack of care and concern for MY property, WHY you don't seem to want to show me that GMT in the case, AND whether or not your plans for my service box included puffing up credibility of that fake sitting on your wrist right now.

That's ok, you can place MY service box on the counter here, next to my two watches you've handled, and go get YOUR manager to explain to HIM your lack of care and concern for MY property, WHY you don't seem to want to show me that GMT in the case, AND whether or not your plans for my service box included puffing up credibility of that fake sitting on your wrist right now.

:black_eye:

:bangin:

:1a:

P.S.: I :wub: you! You go, Phantom!! Snottiest people on earth. AD assistants. Even more than Gucci boutique shopgirls. WTF.

I'm afraid I'm not good enough to recognize reps just yet... probably because I'm not such a picky buyer myself. A Rolex, I probably could tell but really it is more circumstantial. One time I saw a cashier at the "Gap" wearing a Breitling for Bentley GT in SS. Yeah, right.

Although I did once have a discussion with a friendly and surprisingly knowledgeable salesperson who told me that one day, some guy came into the store sporting a rep Patek Philippe and basically flaunted it around proudly exclaiming it was fake, and almost perfectly accurate to the original, therefore circumventing the need for purchasing the real thing. It's people like this who really get on my nerves.

Oh, and there's nothing like a rich grandpa wearing a Sky Moon Tourbillon.

Although I did once have a discussion with a friendly and surprisingly knowledgeable salesperson who told me that one day, some guy came into the store sporting a rep Patek Philippe and basically flaunted it around proudly exclaiming it was fake, and almost perfectly accurate to the original, therefore circumventing the need for purchasing the real thing. It's people like this who really get on my nerves.

I hate people like that too. I have always held onto my rep collecting with some sort of quiet dignity. Like some "dirty little secret".

My father handed me a Calatrava that he's had for thirty some-odd years. It's very beautiful and someday I'll hand it down to my son or daughter (when I have one, anyway). I think that any rep will never match the quality and effort that is put into one of these PP's, but dang, they sure are getting there.

Are you suggesting that my Patek Sky-Moon isn't genuine?

I am certain that yours is as genuine as mine, my friend. And I certainly wouldn't out you were it not.

Unfortunately, after picking mine up in Geneva, I must have misplaced it somewhere when visiting Genoa.

:black_eye:

:bangin:

:1a:

P.S.: I :wub: you! You go, Phantom!! Snottiest people on earth. AD assistants. Even more than Gucci boutique shopgirls. WTF.

Right back at you V! (without the beating)

@Phantom: Damn~! That's a great story! hahaha :lol:

That dude got spanked by you big time, huh? :gun2: Good for you! ;)

Actually, it really wasn't that satisfying Jiro. I didn't want to call the guy out, even with his attitude and poor customer service I can understand a noob trying to 'belong' or 'look the part.' But when he seemed WAY to interested in separating me from the service box through sleight of hand and misdirection, I couldn't help but come to the conclusion that he was simply up to no good. If he didn't get the service box from me, he'd probably eventually get one from someone else more excited to have their precious back from the spa... failing that, I was almost positive after his behavior, that if he couldn't of pieced together a decent provenance for his 'fake,' it was going to end up going out the front door of the AD on someone's unsuspecting wrist.

Yeah, I called HIS a fake. Because once you look like you're going to cross that line, that's exactly what it is.

It was actually a very nice, highly polished "Super-Rep", the only thing that I could spot (without grabbing his wrist) that wasn't "right" with it was the laser-etched crown in the crystal, and that was damn close.

Yeah, I called HIS a fake. Because once you look like you're going to cross that line, that's exactly what it is.

It was actually a very nice, highly polished "Super-Rep", the only thing that I could spot (without grabbing his wrist) that wasn't "right" with it was the laser-etched crown in the crystal, and that was damn close.

@ phantom: It's taken me a long time to find you, you little (censored: word for male reproductive organ), but now that I have.... :akuma:

@vbarrett: close, but with more hair - and much less money :lol:

@vbarrett: close, but with more hair - and much less money :lol:

I am almost sure I have met you, "Gerald". ;)

I'm sure that Gramps is seated inside the Biltmore Hotel's Palme D'or dining area, or perhaps their "English gentleman's club"-like Bar.

I have this dream of meeting him there one day, him wearing his Patek Sky Moon, me wearing my Patek Sky Moon, and we exchange knowing winks, lift our cigars in the air, and toast Paul of WoeMart.

Please, like he's fooling anyone.