When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Have you even been fooled by a rep?

anton

I don't know the gentleman, but from the pic, he could have fooled me.

Fake or gen, it looks like he's enjoying it - and life as well.

Pass the cigar-cutter, please...

As Lanikai says, "AssSS-right!". I hate people who dislike others because they're rich old coots who have all the money in the world to enjoy themselves. Jealous 'tards.

Good! More! Flaunt it baby! Next stop: Vacheron Constantin

the only thing that I could spot (without grabbing his wrist) that wasn't "right" with it was the laser-etched crown in the crystal, and that was damn close.

From what I understand, the mere fact that you could see the etched crown from any kind of distance makes it a rep immediately, good call :)

From what I understand, the mere fact that you could see the etched crown from any kind of distance makes it a rep immediately, good call :)

That would depend on one's eyesight my friend... even at 40, mine is still > 20/15, and I am drawn to small details.

That would depend on one's eyesight my friend... even at 40, mine is still > 20/15, and I am drawn to small details.

Doesn't that bug you? Because I'm the same way. Instead of appreciaing the beauty of art some of these watches are, I am taking the time to cross off a mental "checklist" of what could be wrong. So if a rep could have a majority of the details but the datefont wrong, I don't buy it. And even if I do buy it, I look at it as the most glaring flaw.

Doesn't that bug you? Because I'm the same way. Instead of appreciaing the beauty of art some of these watches are, I am taking the time to cross off a mental "checklist" of what could be wrong. So if a rep could have a majority of the details but the datefont wrong, I don't buy it. And even if I do buy it, I look at it as the most glaring flaw.

Exactly the way I look at women.

It's so great living alone....

My father handed me a Calatrava that he's had for thirty some-odd years. It's very beautiful and someday I'll hand it down to my son or daughter (when I have one, anyway). I think that any rep will never match the quality and effort that is put into one of these PP's, but dang, they sure are getting there.

Lucky! You and I are in the same boat. I inherited a very very early "Patek Philippe & Co" wristwatch that nobody seems to believe is genuine. It must date back to the 19th century, and must be extremely rare. I have no clue what is the reference, or serial number, but it is a family heirloom whose value goes beyond the marque printed on the dial. The watch was heavily damaged and very dirty when I acquired it in '83, almost to the point where you could not tell if you were holding it upside down or rightside up! It was repaired, and since then keeps perfect time. I had it opened, but there are no numbers printed anyplace on the movement or inside the case, or outside the case. I assume they were on the inside of the case as was the style of the time, but were simply thrown away during servicing when the caseback was replaced. Back in Eastern Europe 1980s... nobody gave a rat's tail about serial numbers and luxury makes... the watch had to tell time so you could get to work and not die. That's it. It's this reliability and perseverance and history that makes it an heirloom not the make and model.... even if they told me the next day that it is 100% fake (which is doubtful - how many 19th century Europeans were interested in rep Pateks) I would not treat it with any less respect.

There I go reminiscing again... but it's true... Patek Philippe is the brand to pass down to your kids. There is no other watch that can do it. If I ever buy a gen, even if it costs me an arm and a leg, it'll be a Patek for sure.

I feel I may have been fooled by reps in the past. There is a guy that frequents where I work that is always wearing a different Rolex or Omega. I would never bust him out (out of respect) but I have tried to get a better look at his watches, but it's hard to zone in on a watch when someone is wearing one in public. Not like us here looking at pics.

Knowing what I know now, he is wearing all of the typical reps. Omega SMP, Sub, Sea-Dweller, Datejust..... Heck, he may be a member here!