When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Precious Time - 14K Gold Reps - The Truth, a Myth, a Lie? Facts!!!!!

Precious Time – 14K Gold – A Myth, A Lie or The Truth

I Stand by my word

I’ve been browsing the forums and I’ve found a lot of talk about solid gold reps.

Many customers have also asked me the question “is it really gold”

I have also found occasions where certain dealers bad mouth other dealers! Saying that gold rep’s don’t exist.

I have a lot of loyal customers who have taken my word for it and purchased some of my 14K gold reps. I have compiled this thread to answer some of the frequently asked questions about solid gold reps. Please note, I am not speaking on behalf of other dealers. I have not seen other dealers reps to assess their claims. I am strictly clearing up the fact, if I claim its 14k gold, them my word is as good as gold.

Firstly a few points I want to make.

1. I stand by my word.

2. If I say its gold its gold

3. Gold is not as expensive as people really think. Especially when you are talking about hollow mid links. Each mid link weighs approx 0.8 grams. Assume there are 12 Gold mid links. That is 9.6 grams of gold.

4. I have been in the gold industry for over 8 years. YES, this means I know what I’m talking about.

So let’s start with the basics.

24 carat - 100% pure or 999 fine

22 carat - 91.7% pure or 917 fine

18 carat - 75% pure or 750 fine

14 carat - 58.3% pure or 583 fine

9 carat - 37.5% pure or 375 fine

Today’s gold rate for 1oz troy is $550 for 24k Gold

1 ounce troy is 31.10grams

We have already established each hollow mid link is 0.8 grams and there are approx 12 14k gold mid links on the average TT sub or GMT. That gives us a total gold weight of 9.6 grams. To simplify the math I’m going to round this up to 10 grams.

So below is the math

$550/31.10 = $17.68 of 24k Gold

17.68 divided by 24 multiply by 14 gives us $10.31 Rate for 1gram of 14k Gold.

$10.31 x 10 grams of gold (total for mid links) = $103 for 10 grams of 14k Gold – Yes gold is cheap. Please remember a normal outlet selling fine jewellery would then add a further $200 dollars or so for labour etc... We exclude this value in the reps.

So we have now worked out that an average TT 14k Sub has 10 grams of gold with an additional value of around $100. The crown sometimes is also gold, and will weigh approx 1 gram adding a further $10-15.

This price does not mean a dealer will sell you a gold strap for $100. The dealer has to earn money too and therefore the price is marked up.

Okay, now we have the facts out of the way with….. On with my Hard Evidence!! When I say rep has 14K Gold mid links, that means it is Real 14k Gold!! Not a Myth, Not a Lie, Not plated and Not wrapped on brass. (I do not vouch for other dealers stock as I have not seen other dealers stock I’m referring to my stock)

How do I prove this… Simple… OPERATION MELTDOWN

The following work was undertaken at a professional jewelers who had a workshop in house.

Below i have shown a link from my own 14k TT GMT being melted down. An yes i lost the link and had to pay for this to be done, but its woth putting end to any doubts anyone had about my claims.

Below a clear picture of some soldering already on the link. If it was plated you would not see this.

46990-36861.jpg

46990-36862.jpg

46990-36863.jpg

46990-36864.jpg

Meltdown Begins....

46990-36865.jpg

46990-36866.jpg

46990-36867.jpg

Whats left of the link, while gold is put into acid

46990-36868.jpg

Final result. 14K GOLD!!!!!

46990-36869.jpg

What you should learn from this.

My word is as good as GOLD B)

Thanks for the post PT. You have definitely peaked my curiosity about true gold reps as I had never really considered them until now....just fookin great...now there goes my rep watch budget...again.

@Watcher71

Correct friend,

This was a post i did on all the other forums some time back. I just copied it over onto this board without re-calculating at todays price.

Since then gold price has gone up Rapidly.

PreciousTime, what is your website. And are all your Rolex TT links solid gold???

Les

• 5 months later...

If you go through all that trouble making the band, why not just make it in pure 18k? The $10.00 price difference between 14k and 18k is negligible. I know whoever is willing to spend the extra money on solid gold rep will be willing to spend a little more to have it correct at 18k.

If you go through all that trouble making the band, why not just make it in pure 18k? The $10.00 price difference between 14k and 18k is negligible. I know whoever is willing to spend the extra money on solid gold rep will be willing to spend a little more to have it correct at 18k.

It is not that bad that it is 14k, the rolex 18k link are softer and therefor get aged quicker (well it of course takes years)

For what a jeweler told me gen tt rolex produced for the US market used to be 14k and not 18k.

Bah humbug......................nothing wrong with 14k gold just as there is nothing wrong with 9k, believe me we have gold of all denominations in our household (9,10,14,18,22,24 and a couple others I'm sure) it's how that gold is used that makes it special no what carat it is.

Ken

Yes, yes, yes :(

there was a post somewhere by Andrew (Trustytime.com) regarding to tt solid 14k gold. He indicated in the post that there was no such thing as 14k solid midlinks regardless of how you prove it.

What to you guy think about it?

We are dealing with products supplied by an industy that is based on lies.

Why should we be surprised when what is described by these factories as "solid gold" turns out to be "solid replica gold"?

(Just my 2c)