When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Which gen to get?

ahchard

Hi I am looking to get myself a gen Rolex next year when I go on my holidays. I will be going to Singapore, Thailand and Malaysia.

First of all, looking for suggestions on which model to get. Some choices in my head now:

1. Two-tone GMTII with ceramic bezel.

2. Two-tone Submariner (black or blue dial)

3. SS Submariner

Any other suggestions welcome...

Also, does anyone know where to get the cheapest gen Rolex from an AD in those 3 countries?

Thanks!!!

Indeed, I'd recommend an Omega over a Rolex any day of the week :) As for your mention of GMT function, if you would actually use it, then yes, go for it. If it wouldn't be a feature you'd be using abroad, it'd be an unnecessary complication, so something the watc could do without.

I was trying to justify buying a GMTII so I tried to search for a post I had seen a long time ago about the correct way to set the GMT II. Could not find it... so went to find it on google instead and found this: http://www.koniaris.com/rolex/

After reading it over and over... I still don't quite get it... I remember the post either on RWG1 or RWG2 seemed to make it much simpler!!! Sigh.... got a headache from reading all that now!!!

Face it.. if you REALLY want a Rolex, nothing else will do, because you want the brand more than the actual function of the watch. Get whichever you like best. I personally would get a pepsi GMT, not the TT one if I were buying a gen. Or a plain sub. There are many watches that are worlds better than Rolex, but if you want one, don't get anything else because you won't like it and the resale on anything non-Rolex is horrible. I know what I'm talking about here.. I bought a gen Steelfish when I wanted a Rolex GMT.. I should have just saved the extra $2k and got the GMT. Just like when I bought an Audi instead of the Porsche I wanted :(

Hi I am looking to get myself a gen Rolex next year when I go on my holidays. I will be going to Singapore, Thailand and Malaysia.

First of all, looking for suggestions on which model to get. Some choices in my head now:

1. Two-tone GMTII with ceramic bezel.

2. Two-tone Submariner (black or blue dial)

3. SS Submariner

Any other suggestions welcome...

Also, does anyone know where to get the cheapest gen Rolex from an AD in those 3 countries?

Thanks!!!

If you really want to go Rolex, get the new Rolex Milgauss with the green sapphire.

The SS Submariner is 5K. The two tone is 8K. I say stay away from yellow gold and save 3K at the same time.

My father wants a blue TT sub. I just cannot convince him otherwise. 8K on a watch and its gotta be a golden Rolex. I can't get the guy to give Omega, Breitling, or anything else the time of day.

What can I do.. the guy wiped my bum and taught me to ride a bike afterall. I gotta love him, even if he does wear the gaudy "incan temple warship watch". :bicycle:

Let me tell you how happy my hardworking father is going to be when he drops 8K on a watch and I make fun of it. :lol:

The moral of this story is get what makes you happy. 90% of the population couldn't care less about your watch. And chances are you may not even impress the ones that do.

My father wants a blue TT sub. I just cannot convince him otherwise. 8K on a watch and its gotta be a golden Rolex. I can't get the guy to give Omega, Breitling, or anything else the time of day.

Don't be mad at dad for having better style than you!! I have a TT blue sub and it is gorgeous! Tell him that Corgi gives his choice "two thumbs up."

Don't be mad at dad for having better style than you!! I have a TT blue sub and it is gorgeous! Tell him that Corgi gives his choice "two thumbs up."

I dont know Corgi. Have a look around a watch store lately? Don't see much gold in the cases anymore.

The blue faced TT is a pretty watch, just not my style. I think he wants it to match his bird...

Cockatoo-Blue-and-Gold-Macaw-Ara-ararauna-Alligator-Farm-Sainte-Augustine-Florida-02.JPG

Go vintage. It's the best way to save money in the long run, because in 10 years they'll be worth more than they are now, whereas the current models will take a big drop as soon as you walk out the door.

I got this '64 GMT for about $1200 less than the going rate, and it's worth maybe 20 times as much as it cost new. Besides, it's *vintage* and we all know there's nothing finer than vintage. :wub:

gmt1.jpg

I'm with Nanuq on this one! Even my gen 70's Tudor Sub is selling on average for ~$500 more than it was a year ago.

I'll bet TTK or other members here who live in or frequent Thailand could point you to some good places to shop for gen vintages.