When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Some questions about 1680 parts

mezzanine

Hey all...

I've begun the perilous journey of gathering parts for a MBW 1680 sub that I recently purchased. I've ordered a gen tropic 127, so the crystal is already covered. But things have begun to get complicated for a vintage rollie amateur like myself.

I really like the rivetted bracelets that Homer supposedly has access to. My question is: are the rivetted bracelets in question dated prior to the white 1680? I like the rivetted look, but I don't want to go for it if it's not accurate for the time period my sub is 'theoretically' from. I believe they might be usable only for the Seadwellers and red subs?

Another question I've got is- where on earth I'm going to find a reasonably-priced gen insert? timezone and Ebay are not looking that great as options...but perhaps it's simply a matter of persistance, as supposedly they've begun harder to find over the last year or so.

And my last question for right now: is the crown/tube pictured in this ad going to fit my sub?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...N:IT&ih=014

I'll update this thread as I go on my journey of trying to collect worthwhile parts. I'm trying to economize my efforts so as to go with the mods that are *most* important...in terms of price-to-appearance. I've heard some conflicting info as far as what mods are the most valuable and worthwhile.

I've got half a mind to go only with the gen tropic and crown/tube, as to go further would mean sourcing someone to drill lug holes and do dial-aging, etc...

Genuine bracelets are not something I'm looking at...so hopefully there are other good options if my rivetted Homer bracelet proves inaccurate for the model/time period. I guess a Noobmariner bracelet could be used, worst-case scenario, as per the very helpful thread that I recently saw posted...

Any other suggestion as to what might be a prudent upgrade? Here's the watch in question. It's already had some basic aesthetic mods..such as an aftermarket insert and crown/tube, as well as the lug holes drilled to give the 'appearance' of 2mm lug holes.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j89/adri...c/aIMG_4263.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j89/adri...c/aIMG_4267.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j89/adri...c/aIMG_4279.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j89/adri...c/aIMG_4292.jpg

Edited by mezzanine

Thanks for the response DuDro-

I would feel better about that bezel if there was a picture of it in the listing. The pearl looks pretty good. I would love to be able to see if the numbers on the insert are thin like the genuine. Would it make sense to upgrade one aftermarket insert for another one?

If it really is as good as the genuine, then yeah, I have no qualms with going with one that is aftermarket- but otherwise it seems like it could be a lateral move.

The only two gens I've run across are going to run around $200 US. There was one on the parts board a while ago for $80- which is in my price range. I can't afford to go too high on any of these parts, as far as cost.

I am hoping that I wasn't screwed over with my crown/tube that I bought off Ebay. If anyone could give me some direction as to whether or not this will be compatible with my 1680, I would be grateful, because if it isn't compatible, I'm going to go in another direction.

For insert and pearl, ClassicWatchPart is a good source but they do not have it available all the time...

Now, if you really want to source all this yourself and then find someone to do the mods, why not.

But there might be a shortcut.

Some members here have all these parts in their stock and are ok with selling them and installing them for you.

That is how I dealt with it.

As an example, Tribal did my 16610.

Now, I suppose that finding accurate bracelets for a 1680 is something more tricky but it should be possible for him, I think.

Cheers

Stephane

Interesting...thanks Stephane.

I hadn't realized that some of the modders already have the parts in stock. Is there a significant premium to be paid on the parts that the modders have, or is it a better value to try to hunt down the parts yourself, and then ship them off to someone to have assembled, etc...?

I'm trying to maintain as much of a value-orientation towards my mod project as possible. I know that a lot of the modders are probably fantastic values, in terms of the cost of their work. I am absolutely NOT going to risk putting a drill to those lugholes, trust me. I know that some things you can try to maximize value on, and some things you're best not to. I'm not trying to be cheap, but my budget for mods is probably less than I'd ideally want to be dealing with...thus the need to 'prioritize' based on the relative value of the mod, in terms of how it impacts on the overall appearance of the watch.

Something like the gen tropic I can see as making a significant difference for the $$ invested...but some of the bracelet mods, for example going after a gen bracelet or clasp, is out of my league.

Keeping in mind that the watch I've purchased has some aesthetic mods already done....such as the insert/pearl as well as the crown/tube, and the lughole superficially drilled. I'd love to upgrade the crown/tube as well as the insert, but it needs to be of justifiable value. So for example, if the aftermarket insert is a definite step-up, I'll totally go in that direction.

My worry would be that the modders might want a premium for having sourced the parts already. I don't blame them for that at all, it's a definite entitlement, as far as I'm concerned- given the difficulty in tracking them down that I'm having. But my time waiting to find gen parts for cheaper is something I can afford, whereas the ultimate $$ bottom line is something I can't control as much...

Hi all,

mezz i replyed to u on rwi if u did not see it here it is :

Im not sure about the riveted bracelet on a 1680 ... maybe if u like the look of it, still my choice would be a 93150 bracelet with 580 ends is the best and more correct choice of the 2 ...

that said the gen. 580 ends just did not fit my mbw 1680 and eneded up going with 93150 bracelet on gen. 501B links :

DSC01566.jpg

This was done by Tribal for me as Stephane said he is one of the guys that stock the parts needed for the job :)

U can shoot a PM to him im sure he will be kind enough to give u estimate on the parts and work .

Regards Laz

One thing to consider, mezzanine, is that it looks to me like you're in the US or Canada based on your time zone. Laz, tribal and Stephane are in the EU. There is always a customs issue sending stuff across the ocean for mods. I'm in the US and I've shipped to Ziggy(Canada) w/ no problems, and there are guys in the US doing mods as well. Just something to consider.

But I must say, that bracelet of Laz's looks very nice, and of course, Tribal does great work, but Customs is Customs and you never know when something might get confiscated.

From your pics, it appears that your crown guards have been modded, your pearl does not have a metal surround, and you say the crown and tube have been changed out. It looks like the bracelet you have on your watch is OK for vintage- separate end pieces, probably solid mid links (not technically correct, but that's what come w/ an MBW) and w/ the safety clasp. This is basically correct for your watch- but as laz says, a 93150 w/ hollow mid links and "correct" 580 end pieces would be perfect. But if you want a rivetted bracelet, go for it. A 7206 w/ 80 end pieces might fit the bill. No ones really gonna know.

The old saying is, "If you don't want to be called out, go vintage, because no one really knows vintage but the serious collector, and how often have you run into a serious vintage collector?"

Mezz,

Here's a source to try for the insert Gen insert

If you want a more period correct 93150 bracelet, you can see if TTK can get you an MBW version, but I don't know what the cost will be??? The new MBW bracelets (at least the one on my 1665 from this May) are the best I've seen and have correct end links without the springbar cutouts.

If TTK can't help you Josh usually sells the 93150 fliplock separately for about $45.

Happy hunting!