When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Silix Vintage 'Bond' Submariners

TeeJay

I received one today, and after the irritation of receiving the incorrect model had worn off, I had a look at the watch received. The case was noticeably different to those on a contemporary sub, and looked quite nice. The dial, although not having the numerals I wanted, had nice clear printing and was a definite high point. Bezel was noticeably fake as the 'teeth' weren't filed deep enough for a modern sub, or in the 'coin edge' style of the true vintage. The bracelet was an absolute joke, felt flimsy, sharp edges, and the actual dimensions of the clasp were way out... For the price, I suppose it was okay, and, if worn on an aftermarket strap, has the potential to be a very nice watch. I haven't really seen any other reviews of these watches, so wondered what others thought of theirs, or if they were keeping quiet out of politeness? Silix has had an email stating the incorrect model received, that I need the return address, and am willing to pay for the return myself. I'll keep folks informed.

I'm thrilled with mine. I studied the watch pretty well before I ordered it and knew its faults in advance. The biggest disappointment was the lugholes being so far in the a band could not easily swapped (I installed a riveted band and I also have a skunk NATO).

I knew the bezel was totally off, but for the price I have no complaints. Mine keeps time well and the crown screws down nice and smooth. I bought mine mainly as a "rep keep-sake". Plus I am a James Bond fan and I guess this is the closest representation we can get of one of his early Subs.

I really wouldn't wear this watch out and about since the gen is mega $$$$. It is a very nice watch for the money.

I really wish more people here would post pics of their "no gc Sub reps" (I guess you can't call it a Silix rep since everybody has them now). I have already seen some vintaged one posted in other areas. I'm sure everyone would love to se more.....maybe in this post????

S6300322.jpg

I've received one and was pleased for the price. I am one of those that owns a gen and you can spot the difference if you know what to look for. Truth is, most don't. it needs to be vintagized and I may do it for the fun of it. I figure for $100 it's worth it. The bracelet is tinny, but so is the gen. The gen bracelet is truly vintage so no sharp edges. On the wrist it looks good and I'm going to enjoy it.

Thanks for the comments, folks. Indeed, this wasn't purchassed as a watch I intended to wear, but just as an addition to the collection. I knew that I'd have to swap the bezel insert, but had not realized that the bezel itself would be quite as it is. I guess that'll teach me to study the photos more closely. With regards to the bracelet, I'd always intended to replace it, I guess I was just a little taken aback by the details and dimensions of the clasp, I guess I've 'been spoiled' by my own Sub... Oh well. I might take some photos of it tomorrow, but as it's still in it's transit tapes (and will stay that way), I can't really see the point in that... Still waiting on a reply to my email to Silix... Oh well.

I got the watch with the Explorer dial and the 200m= 550ft. I should have known better with the depth being incorrect, but for $85 I can't complain. I took the SEL bracelet off (it's incorrect, of course and the spring bars were bent because as Predanfan said the lug holes are too close to the case) and I put on a Nato strap from bandgirl over at TZ- I got the navy/grey combo, which I like. The watch keeps great time and I wear it as a beater- just for knocking around. Oh yeh, one other thing, the bezel clicks, but if you pop it off and remove the little pin, it shuts up and goes both ways- I did this on the original James Bond from Silix which had no lug holes. But I have serious reps, lots of gens and then there's watches like this- for playing around w/ and doing whatever you want to. Luckily, $85 entertainment is cheap for me!

Jay sometimes ships out the wrong stuff and he doesn't like to get it back. He gets around this by making a deal you can't refuse- in the best sense of the term. He will get back to you. Try to be open minded. This is not the high cost end of the rep market, but service is good and so are the watches for the price.

Something to remember about gen Rolexes of the same vintage: there are few left which contain all original parts. Rolex had a policy of aggressively "updating" your watch when returned for service whether you wanted it updated or not. You could end up with a new dial, new hands, new crown, etc. without asking or wanting them. Some of these old gens have been flamed on forums for not being accurate reps.

Edited by Carl

Well, if Silix can't/won't help (I've heard a few people received watches from him they didn't order), maybe you could sell your watch to someone on the board and re-order the correct watch? Or maybe arrange some kind of trade? Would love to see some pics. I've been debating getting the "plain" Submariner from Silix without numerals (listed as ROL225), but I'm actually worried I'll be sent the wrong watch and don't want to go through the whole hassle of shipping back and hoping I'll get what I ordered the second time around.

Jay sometimes ships out the wrong stuff and he doesn't like to get it back. He gets around this by making a deal you can't refuse- in the best sense of the term. He will get back to you. Try to be open minded. This is not the high cost end of the rep market, but service is good and so are the watches for the price.

This was kind of a 'make or break' deal, as far as my opinion with Jay, due to the issues I had over my Speedmaster X-33.

Four weeks after placing the order for the Rolex, I hadn't heard anything, so I sent a follow up email over the weekend just asking what was what. When I checked my emails on the monday, there were two emails. One saying that the original shipment had been confiscated by customs and that another attempt would be made, and then a second email with the tracking number. Now, I'd've been more reassured by that if I had received a tracking number for the 'first' shipment... My spider-sense said that that was the first shipment, and that my order had simply been sat on for four weeks. Had I not emailed, would I still be waiting?... Then there is the issue of being sent the wrong item. Impossible for someone who doesn't dropship, one could argue... And the issue of the missing bracelet I paid for... Sure, there was a replacement X-33 in the parcel, but that's something I was expecting anyway. (and redundant, having paid to have my original X-33 repaired, turned out all it needed was a new battery) The stuff I'd ordered and paid for was what I was really after. Another day without an email...

Something to remember about gen Rolexes of the same vintage: there are few left which contain all original parts. Rolex had a policy of aggressively "updating" your watch when returned for service whether you wanted it updated or not. You could end up with a new dial, new hands, new crown, etc. without asking or wanting them. Some of these old gens have been flamed on forums for not being accurate reps.

That's very true, and something I've heard about happening before. I can understand Rolex having a policy that a serviced watch should be cleaned up to look like new, but replacing (potentially vintage) parts (especially without the owner's consent) is frankly, not cool...

Well, if Silix can't/won't help (I've heard a few people received watches from him they didn't order), maybe you could sell your watch to someone on the board and re-order the correct watch? Or maybe arrange some kind of trade? Would love to see some pics. I've been debating getting the "plain" Submariner from Silix without numerals (listed as ROL225), but I'm actually worried I'll be sent the wrong watch and don't want to go through the whole hassle of shipping back and hoping I'll get what I ordered the second time around.

I think I'm going to have consider the possibility that I'm not actually going to get an email, and I'll be left with the watches... If that is the case, even if I was to sell both watches, I wouldn't be re-ordering the correct vintage Rolex as I no longer have confidence in the dealer. It wasn't a watch I desperately wanted, I certainly wouldn't've been wearing it, it was literally only bought as one for the collection, so I might just have to go without...

Edited by TeeJay

Well, we have a resolution on the Rolex. Jay is going to ship a replacement dial, so that takes care of that issue :) Given that that means I will be keeping this watch, I bought a new leather strap for it this afternoon, and it looks much better than it did on the SS Bracelet :lol:

I received mine a few days ago, and I am very happy with them, it sux about the lug holes being off...just think about the guy who miss measured, he prob had to go though all of them and and bend the spring bars to make them fit as punishment!! :blink:

I just took my drill and added a 1mm hole on the inside of the lugs where they should be to accept a bracelet. I have both on NATOs, but one did come with the riveted bracelet, which looks nice. Watch out too, the plexi is held on with glue, so do not take them near water (fyi) or you will lose your crystal.

All in all, I love them...I know they are not perfect, but they are fun and different. I am going to beat them up abit, an then I will take some pics.

All in all, I love them...I know they are not perfect, but they are fun and different. I am going to beat them up abit, an then I will take some pics.

I think that is the entire point here.

It's the "fun and different" thing that keeps this going for some of us.