When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Mini Fiddy Review

andreww

Mini Fiddy Review

IMG_3513.jpg

I'm not one who generally like "fantasy" watches, but when this "Mini Fiddy" was offered to me as a trade I couldn't refuse. Why you ask? For me this watch incorporates everything Panerai that my 192 Tantalium lacks. Firstly, I love the fiddy case, but the 47mm version would be just to big for my puny wrist. Secondly, I have always been fascinated by the "sandwich dial". And thirdly, I really wanted a display back pam, as I love the decorated movements.

IMG_3516.jpg

I really know very little about the fiddy or the mini fiddy. I do know enough however, to realize that the name is a little misleading. Aside from the smaller 44mm profile, the dial is quite different. Instead of "Luminor Panerai", the mini is labeled "Radiomir Panerai". There is also no "1950" designation on the bottom half of the dial.

IMG_3510.jpg

The watch itself is gorgeous, in fact I've already had an offer to buy it from one of the guys at work. The dial is large, clean and simple. The domed (mineral) crystal is a beautiful touch. I simply love the gold hands, as the blue ones on my 192 are difficult to read. The CG is nice and tight, and the crown seems nice and thick. The display back is probably the most fascinating part of the watch, and it left several of my work mates in total awe. The Asian movement is nicely decorated, although probably a pretty shabby example, compared to some that I've seen. There's no swan necks or daggers on this one, yet its still pretty to look at.

IMG_3512.jpg

My only complaints about this one are the badly "kerned" PANERAI on the dial, and a fair bit of springiness from the crown when winding. But for a watch that Paul (wo-mart) has listed for $110, you can't go wrong. This one is definitely going to get its share of wrist time!

IMG_3517.jpg

Really thanks for this review!

I too love the Mini Fiddy and I would not care about it being fantasy.

Frankly, I find it even more balanced and appealing than the 47mm Fiddy.

The only thing that prevented me from getting one so far is its date lacking.

I would also add that it looks a perfect fit on your wrist.

Congrats, wear it well!

Thanks! The lack of a center mounted second hand took some getting used to. Kind of feels like a wrist mounted clock LOL. Definitely a more laid back kind of watch, as there are no minute markers. So its always a rough guess as to the "exact" time!

Thanks! The lack of a center mounted second hand took some getting used to. Kind of feels like a wrist mounted clock LOL. Definitely a more laid back kind of watch, as there are no minute markers. So its always a rough guess as to the "exact" time!

That's exactly the remark expected from a Breitling lover! :lol:

BTW, having a small second hand on a specific subdial rather than a large center mounted second hand may help in quickly locating and reading the seconds -- as I guess you already noticed. ;)

On the other hand, I have no excuse for the lacking of minute markers -- other than a definitely nicer dial look.

I have some PAMs with minute markers (090), or minute markers plus center second hand (027, 028), and I have to admit that they are practical but far less appealing. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

• 1 month later...

Nice little review, since I got my first 005 i've been really interested in buying a mini fiddy for the same reasons as yourself...I have a tiny wrist and 47mm would be way too big....Just one question, hows the lume?

hi,

i looking to purchase a copy of this watch, could you kindly point me in the right direction of where i need to go

many thanks

ashley

As far as I know "Paul" is the only one who provides it:

http://www.pam111.com/product_info.php?cPa...roducts_id=1093

Silix is selling a similar watch here:

http://www.silix-prime.com/product.asp?id=1633

As far as I know "Paul" is the only one who provides it:

http://www.pam111.com/product_info.php?cPa...roducts_id=1093

Silix is selling a similar watch here:

http://www.silix-prime.com/product.asp?id=1633

I've seen it on Andrew's site (trusty), listed as the Radiomir Luminor 2006 model.

I'll just add that I also own a mini-fiddy, bought from a fellow member, (no idea where it originally came from), which is currently fitted to a really nice vintage cracked black strap (with barley stitching that matches the gold hands) from HKTan.

It gets a surprising amount of attention, more than my 111h which is a similar size, and I put it down to the domed crystal and clean dial; no doubt I'll get a Fiddy at some point, but I'll continue to enjoy this regardless. I don't have small wrists (8"), so I can wear the larger watches with no problems, but I do like the fact that the 44mm size of this one allows it to be worn with a suit without it standing out too much.

prof

I've seen it on Andrew's site (trusty), listed as the Radiomir Luminor 2006 model.

Wow, thanks!

Finding a 44mm Luminor in the 42/45mm Radiomir section proved to be beyond my skills. :lol:

I hope that the price that Andrew quotes (more twice than Paul's) prevents from Paul-like issues. :blink: