When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What is an "Asian 7750" ?

BobM

I see references to an "Asian 7750". You know, aisia is a big area of this world. To me that term could mean China, or Japan, or Taiwan, or Thailand, or ...

I have also seem some movements referred to as "new Japan 7750". I have seen "Japan 7750". I think I have seen references to a chinese copy of the Swiss 7750. Maybe there are even multiple sources of the 7750 design out of Switzerland.

What are the variations in the 7750 and how is the proper way to refer to them? What are the relative merits of the variations of the 7750? What are the precautions and "best practices" to be used with which variants of this movement? As an example, I think I have heard (read) Pug suggest (no, it was probably The Zigmeister) 7750s in a newly purchased replica should be serviced before use. I think that referred to one specific variant. Which one?

Maybe I am overlooking a prior write-up on this subject. If so, please tell me I am silly not to have found it first and send me that way.

Thanks.

In many cases, sadly, a time bomb on your wrist....Especially the older slow beat models, and those modified with a seconds sub dial @6:00....Every one I have had has performed poorly....While every other asian movement I own works great...even the cheapest ones!!....I'm just one guy with several dozen watches, but there have been quite a few with similar experiences!

It'sw really a pity that there hasn't yet been offered a RELIABLE auto chrono movement for all those beautiful reps I'd love to own, but refuse to gamble $300+ on!! <_< <_< <_< :

Hi,

I have no source about what I'm saying, but just a brain that makes me think that there's no japanese 7750.

I think that some sellers (and probably not the best) use the wording "japanese movement" to make buyers think they buy some great stuff. Japan is in Asia, isn't it ? ^_^ That surely make the buyer more confident : an other white lie ?

I doubt any counterfeit goods are done in Japan.

I am pretty sure that the Asian 7750 as we know it is a chinese movement. Chinese can also make good movements (I'm not speaking of this 7750, as I don't own any) : look at the Sea-Gull ST19 (mistakenly called Lemania or Venus), or as said before, some very simple "Asian 21J" that last long :)

The issue with "Asian 7750" is that it refers to numerous movements made in numerous factories. The original ones had horrible reliability problems and a tendency for hand slippage but its parts were interchangeable with the Swiss 7750. The newer ones are made at at least 3 different factories that I am aware of. I am sure there are others. Usually the issues are less about the components and more about assembly. In general I have found that watches which use Asian 7750's are very reliable for non-chrono functions. If you take a look around the forum you will find that the newer models require service but then they function very nicely.

IMHO, it is not that the newer movements are bad. The issue is that you have to factor in a possible service to ensure reliability and when you add that to the cost of one of the "super reps" this gets expensive.

• 1 month later...

I will add a bit to Kruser's comments --

The biggest issues with the 7750 (chronograph) movement relate to those that have been modified to relocate the running seconds hand to the subdial at 6 in order to mimic the function of current Rolex Daytonas. This modification involves the addition of several additional gears (without the proper additional jeweling that is normally required), which places undo stress and friction on the entire engine and is known to cause premature breakdowns in many cases.

The second issue with (non-seconds at 6) Asian-sourced 7750s is their general lack of proper lubrication and poor overall condition when leaving the factory. However, the basic design is sound and these movements tend to be quite reliable after a thorough teardown and overhaul by a competent watchsmith like Ziggy.