When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

are the problems with the cousteau diver?

jasonz1000

the OLD asian 7750 with the low beat mvmt is known for having problems. it has been said here many times that the NEW asian 7750 is a very reliable mvmt...especially with the 6-9-12 layout. also, i dont know where you heard about the bad ar coating...the ar on mine is great!! the biggest problem i know of is the day/date alignment and the dust under the crystal. when you purchase just make sure the dealer checks to make sure day/date alignment is centered and there is no dust under the crystal. hopefully that helps.

I've heard that the coating will scratch easily, good to know that the movement is ok, I will def. ask if the dealer will do a QC , but you never know ofcourse ^_^

Hi i used puretime (Angus) and he emailed me before he shipped out my CD to let me know that there was no dust and the day/date was good......i should be get mine in a few days ill keep u posted ....

I got mine from Puretime. The only true systemic flaw I am aware of is the alignment of the inner rotating bezel with the dial. It will always be a half click off from aligned due to a lack of the proper amount of teeth. Mine did not have too bad a day/date misalignment as is. I have found the AR to be fine in normal wear and it does look fairly good.

I got mine from Puretime. The only true systemic flaw I am aware of is the alignment of the inner rotating bezel with the dial. It will always be a half click off from aligned due to a lack of the proper amount of teeth. Mine did not have too bad a day/date misalignment as is. I have found the AR to be fine in normal wear and it does look fairly good.

just got mine ... and the day/date is starting to malfunction... other than sending it in to ziggy which I will do eventually as soon as he has openings.. what is the fix for this in case i try to take it in to a watch smith here ??

thank you,

Lanikai

If it is misaligning the answer is new datewheels. If the day or date is kicking over at the wrong time but consistently than it may be mis-placed hands. If anything else you are probably looking at a service or movement swap. The good news with Ziggy is that he has any part you could possibly need for the 7750's as well as any number of movements he can service and swap in if necessary. But I always vote for Swiss movement swap if you are going to go to the trouble to send it to Ziggy. ;)

If you are determined (and patient enough) to wait for one without problems than your best bet may be to wait for someone wo you know to sell it second hand who can tell you theirs has no problems. Alternatively, if you have a dealer with an ongoing relationship he should remedy the issue if there is a problem. I would not be holding my breath for a better version. You also could wait for the 42mm Slevin and see how that one comes out.

My approach on reps is to understand the systemic problems which cannot be fixed (in this case the misalignment of the bezel) and then pick a dealer that will take care of you if there is a problem. That is the risk in reps.

Yes, the rotating bezel is off on all of them. It is a design flaw in the rep. It will not line up spot on with the rotating bezel's "inverted triangle" pointing between the twelve o'clock markers without leaving the pusher in between clicks. And when you do that dots and numbers inc reasingly misalign with the dial. The manufacturer tried to correct for this mechanical issue by spreading out the "10" and "15" to make it less obvious. Many things are correctable but this is not. The Slevin will have the same issue but on a lesser scale. This particular issue should not in and of itself make it a deal killer. But I would only buy it if you recognize that you may well have $600 or more into it to ensure longevity and reliability.

Okay I am going to be honest. I have sold perhaps 20 of these watches, and all but two have had probelms. Yes two were actually perfect, and i should have kept one. Dirty crystals, misaligned markers, the teeth on the inner lunnete ring causes it to not line up properly. Third partical debris from the inner ring. Yes many problems. Dirty and dry movements. Dates and days not lining up.

However, I just go one in that is almost perfect. I am going to clean the sapphire and that will be it folks. This one will be priced at $400 shipped

• 6 months later...
Well...Just withdrawn the CD from my wish list... :(

I just received mine (Mar-2008), and while the bezel alignment problem still exists most other problems have been solved. The datewheel alignment issue is not as severe, but can be remedied as well at low cost.

My detailed review can be found here:

Toad's 2006 CD Review

• 3 weeks later...
Holy thread revival Batman! I just realized the date on the OP's post, another perfect example of how search is your best friend.

Aaaaah...yes grasshopper...now you can leave the mountain. Just kidding as I know this was not aimed at you.

Mind you...it's also a perfect example that just telling someone to use search instead of really looking at the current status of the answers doesn't help as much either...as things change in 6 months...so imagine a year!!