When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Official Hublot site showing josh/andrews pics

P4GTR

Good point TJ... as an example .. there is a guy that I run into at the coffee shop I frequent ... and when he see's me he has to bring his wrist "up" so I can "see' what's on it... he has to park his Hummer in the front in the red zone so it can be "seen" .. now unless I'm mistaken his watches are poor quality REPS ... he approached me awhile ago asking if that was a Panerai i had on.. I said yes and shrugged it off .. as "no big deal" .. he then went into a long winded disertation on the fact that he get's his watches from a Beverly Hills dealer that gives him incredible prices ... I think the point I'm making is that most of us don't have this Obsessive hobby so we can brag on what we wear.. but because we are just "crazy mad" about the "ART" of these mechanical beasts .. and know that the prices in the "stuffy stores" are in fact "crazy"

what drives the "posers" crazy is to be "ignored" ... LOL

Thanks, and precicely. We're into watches because we like watches (for whatever reason), not because we want to show off how deep our pockets are... I find that it's only the nouveu riche (ie rappers, actors and other 'flash in the pan' celebrities) who insist on flaunting their wealth. I'm not one who believes that people should save their money, it's their money, they should spend it how they want, but I find it interesting that the people who have inherited wealth, or built themselves up in business (rather than entertainment) tend to be way more conservative in how they display that wealth... Nothing drives a nouveu riche person crazier than being treated like the regular schmuck they were before they scooped the lotto :lol:

We found the same source....LOL

Which is precicely why I choose to buy rep watches, and generic clothes. In the case of clothes for sure, they're all made in the same sweatshops, it's just a case of half the batch get's GAP labels, the other half gets BargainBin labels, other than that, no difference whatsoever, so I can't see the point in paying out more for the 'expensive' label. :lol:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which is precicely why I choose to buy rep watches, and generic clothes. In the case of clothes for sure, they're all made in the same sweatshops, it's just a case of half the batch get's GAP labels, the other half gets BargainBin labels, other than that, no difference whatsoever, so I can't see the point in paying out more for the 'expensive' label. :lol:

There is a big difference between generic and designer clothes. Go buy a Hugo boss suit sometime and compare the quality. The top brands have better quality control, designers, materials, and factories. Gap is really a bargain bin label.

TJ ..... Nothing drives a nouveu riche person crazier than being treated like the regular schmuck they were before they scooped the lotto

Yes,.. I guess it is true "New Money shows it .. Old money knows it and doesn't have to flaunt it.. more low profile .. because it's not a big deal to them ... it's been in the family for a long time"

There is a big difference between generic and designer clothes. Go buy a Hugo boss suit sometime and compare the quality. The top brands have better quality control, designers, materials, and factories. Gap is really a bargain bin label.

Instead of hitting yet another agree tick mark, I decided to actually post an agreement. :p

Remember though, that Gap was and I believe is still a rather expensive label for your average person in the UK. Their cotton, back in the mid-90s when I made the jump from Benetton to the Gap (then to Banana Republic)...was excellent. I still wear their tan jodhpurs, which look amazing on me with little black ankle boots. 10 years and not a tear, still holding their form.

But yeah, fashionista-wise, the Gap is the dross now.

I am grateful to them for making simple clean lines popular, after the boxy square shoulders of the 80s, and the polyester dreck which passed for fashion in the 70s.

To go back on topic, I'm glad Lanikai and TeeJay are in agreement about the nouveaux riches and their watches. Just remember though, to some people, you guys maybe nouveaux riches with your PAMs and lovely 007 Omegas, because there is always some person poorer than you. ^_^

Is this true? Did I not just read from another forum (and JCB said it himself) that the ceramic bezels actually come from Kyocera; a ceramic manufacturing plant based in Japan?

I am assuming that JCB and Mr. Biver are one in the same ....

What this sounds like to me is a classic example of disinformation, I do not think Hublot would like it widely known that their Rolls Royce of watches is manufactured in China .. except for the movement which is "supposed" to be a in house make ...

If you were selling a watch for 10 to 20K and it was niether an antique nor platinum with ruby's and emeralds ... would you want it know that this extrodinary piece of jewelry had a "made in China" label ??? I think not.. :lol:

Japan used to be thought of as cheap and affordable goods .... but their genius was to take and copy a product and vastly improve it's function and quality .. but this took years to establish.... the world news is reporting that China is steering away from "cheap" goods..

I do believe that Mr. Biver should have ... JUST LET IT GO... know it will get interesting ... because it seems he has opened the mythical PANDORAS BOX ... :bangin:

Disinformation can really work against you .... you tell a lie ... then you have to tell another lie to cover the first.. and on and on .. ad infinitum... "the greatest gift to a liar is to remember what he said yesterday"

It will be entertaining to say the least.. :rolleyes:

I will concede the point that it can vary from brand to brand, but Burberry in particular, stock a top identical to one sold in Burtons, but the Burberry one cost ten times as much money. Identical in every detail except for the label sewn in the neck... So yes, although there are indeed some companies which have a higher quality product, equally, there are ones which are selling a generic product with their own label attached.

TJ ..... Nothing drives a nouveu riche person crazier than being treated like the regular schmuck they were before they scooped the lotto

Yes,.. I guess it is true "New Money shows it .. Old money knows it and doesn't have to flaunt it.. more low profile .. because it's not a big deal to them ... it's been in the family for a long time"

Precicely.

To go back on topic, I'm glad Lanikai and TeeJay are in agreement about the nouveaux riches and their watches. Just remember though, to some people, you guys maybe nouveaux riches with your PAMs and lovely 007 Omegas, because there is always some person poorer than you. ^_^

I'd have to point out that, being envied/ the object of jealousy by someone with less money does not necessarily make the person nouveu riche... I admit, I'm probably not using the term quite correctly, but personally, I use it to catagorize the 'flash in the pan' celebrities who flaunt their wealth at any opportunity, like rappers who in their videos, wear garish clothes and wave handfulls of cash at the camera. Oh yeah, Mr Rapper, you have money. :rolleyes: Whoopdedoo. <_< Keep spending it on iced out Roleys and gold backscratches and by the time you hit retirement age, you'll be back collecting a welfare cheque... :yeah::rofl: As Lanikai said, old money knows it and doesn't have to flaunt it. It's like some friends of mine who I last saw just before my gran died. One brother is a pilot (a week younger than me), the other works in London, I think in investment banking. Both drive good cars, wear sharp clothes, and both had Breitlings on. Even though we hadn't seen each other for a while, and, as children, we were constantly fascinated by each other's watches, and always trying to get something new to show each other, there was no blatant wrist stretches or 'cuff tugs' to flash the Breitlings at all, proof in point that 'old money' doesn't have to flaunt it. Ironically, I was wearing my Omega 2531.80 project watch and happened to be wearing a T Shirt, but again, no flashing of it on my part, and no overt examination from my friends.

Edited by TeeJay

Where as the example you have given may be correct if you were to look at one of my suits, which are less than 10% of the 'Off the Rack' gen price, I assure you that you would be hard pressed to find fault.

Ken

QUOTE(vbarrett @ Sep 10 2007, 05:22 PM)

To go back on topic, I'm glad Lanikai and TeeJay are in agreement about the nouveaux riches and their watches. Just remember though, to some people, you guys maybe nouveaux riches with your PAMs and lovely 007 Omegas, because there is always some person poorer than you.

DAHHH .. there's someone smarter, bigger, faster, on and on ... this is a good point as you can envy others or be OK with who and what you are.. so with that said.. my ego tells me it would be really embarrassing to be earing a "bad" rep and be called out on it .. that would appear to be putting on "airs"

TeeJay... Ironically, I was wearing my Omega 2531.80 project watch and happened to be wearing a T Shirt, but again, no flashing of it on my part, and no overt examination from my friends.

Ha,... most of the time I wear my Reps with jeans and t shirt also ... i really can't see paying 300 times what something is really worth .. when you talk cars.. now that's different ...LOL ... I'm sure there are other members who need to dress for "sucsess" so to speak so the high end reps really do well here

It all comes down to :... THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYZ ARE THE PRICE OF THEIR TOY'S...

Where as the example you have given may be correct if you were to look at one of my suits, which are less than 10% of the 'Off the Rack' gen price, I assure you that you would be hard pressed to find fault.

Ken

Kenberg, you're from Australia which reminds me there used to be a great clothing company I bought stuff from here in DC called Country Road Australia. They closed their stores about 7 or 8 years ago here. I still have wool pants and sweaters from there, the quality was tremendous. Not super stylish but more classic style. I tried to get them to mail order ship stuff to me in USA but they said they don't do that... :(

You have an awesome tailor in Australia who can produce great quality and design, but for me I think it's hard to replicate the fabric, design and assembly of the Zegna or other top quality clothing items.

In terms of people buying no-name over brand name, I think that brand name is better in most cases because they have a reputation to uphold and if the quality is bad then this harms the brand. I'm not talking about tacky stuff where you actually see the label. I know some people actually wear clothing that shows off a label, I did this when i was a little kid, I thought it was cool to have a Tommy Hilfiger shirt on! But now that I've grown up if I wear something nice I want it to be for the design and quality not for some tacky logo or other garish advertisement. If it has a visible logo I will never wear it.

As far as spending lots of money on a suit like a Zegna, Hugo Boss or Incotex pants...It depends on why you wear a suit or a quality piece of clothing. Some people who wear suits are stuck in a different era, they have to wear them for a job or they don't mind if clothing doesn't fit them just right. Average american is fat and doesn't care of the clothes is doesn't fit them. I'm a younger guy and I work in IT and don't have to wear a suit to work, I can show up in a t-shirt and jeans. So when I wear a suit it is for a special occasion or important meeting. Sometimes I'll also wear a suit with just a t-shirt or something non-formal when going out at night. I have jeans and sweaters that cost 100 or 200 dollars so it's not a big deal to spend some money to look nice at my sister's wedding or have a perfect fitting suit that I can use for years just having it dry-cleaned. I've gotten great clothing for cheap before (you can get great quality t-shirts and things at discount stores) but the best thing I've found to save on more complex clothing is to wait until the end of the season and you can get 50% off on Hugo Boss or Zegna. I had a few custom tailored suits made from English wool in Korea but they don't compare to the Hugo Boss stuff which isn't really that much more expensive when you look at how it holds up. Some luxury things are a waste of money but this is one thing where you can feel the difference like good shoes which are actually not a waste of money. A good pair of shoes are worth it too, because they are going to last longer and be nicer to wear. I bought some in Italy that I still use 10 years later.

I'm not putting down people who don't want to waste money on expensive clothing...but like anything sometimes you get what you pay for.

Some luxury things are a waste of money but this is one thing where you can feel the difference like good shoes which are actually not a waste of money. A good pair of shoes are worth it too, because they are going to last longer and be nicer to wear. I bought some in Italy that I still use 10 years later.

I'm not putting down people who don't want to waste money on expensive clothing...but like anything sometimes you get what you pay for.

I second the shoes argument. I've had a pair of Ferragamos and they've withstood the test of time (with regular maintenance) and after five years still look as if they've just stepped out of the cobbler's shop! Buying a pair of $400 shoes can be well worth the investment, since I've been through $100 shoes that have visible wear or crack after the first week of break-in.

Butback to the original topic at hand, how did we go from a watch discussion to our buying habits?

Ha,... most of the time I wear my Reps with jeans and t shirt also ... i really can't see paying 300 times what something is really worth .. when you talk cars.. now that's different ...LOL ... I'm sure there are other members who need to dress for "sucsess" so to speak so the high end reps really do well here

It all comes down to :... THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYZ ARE THE PRICE OF THEIR TOY'S...

Indeed, a Real Man, doesn't need an expensive brand name to justify himself, it's the inadequates and juveniles who feel the need to spend the big bucks on what, at the end of the day, are just clothes and watches, to use as status symbols :lol:

I second the shoes argument. I've had a pair of Ferragamos and they've withstood the test of time (with regular maintenance) and after five years still look as if they've just stepped out of the cobbler's shop! Buying a pair of $400 shoes can be well worth the investment, since I've been through $100 shoes that have visible wear or crack after the first week of break-in.

Butback to the original topic at hand, how did we go from a watch discussion to our buying habits?

I might have to invest in a set of 'cobbled' shoes. I recently got a custom tailored leather jacket with some inheritance money (a replica of the jacket Tom Cruise wore in Minority Report), and, not only is it a perfect fit, I know I'll get a good ten years worth of wear out of it :)