When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Update: PAM crown project

Ok, some news on the progress of the crown project:

The newest version is in the making and I just got the info that I should receive the first pieces hopefully end of next week to make a review.

In the meantime, I made some comparison shots of different crown versions:

1. rep

2. first PAMela batch which is 2,1mm

3. crown in 2,0mm

4. early version with 2,2mm

Sorry for the bad pics, I took them fast and hastily, I did not even install the crowns, just put them on without stem. therefore, they are also not close enough to the case, please try to ignore that also.

1. rep crown, no news, still as bad as always. I post this just for comparison

49867-36425.jpg

2. first PAMela batch which is 2,1mm

it looks way better than the rep crown, no doubt. It is a bit too much beveled, that reduces the optical thickness a bit.

49867-36426.jpg

dani, i hope you don´t mind if i use your pic here, i did not have anymore handy :)

49867-36427.jpg

3. crown in 2,0mm:

on these the bevel has been reduced compared to the 2,1mm. looks very nice for me. The interesting thing is, that this crown looks thicker than the 2,1mm although it is thinner (2,0mm). you see what effect this bevel has…

49867-36428.jpg

49867-36429.jpg

Also a shot of a genuine.

49867-36430.jpg

4. 2,2mm fat boy: this was the first try 3 months back. I like it although its thicker than the gen. IMHO this crown would be very nice for a vintage or Pre-V PAM. These had thicker crowns than the modern PAMs.

49867-36431.jpg

49867-36432.jpg

Here is a shot of a PAM001b 1998, looks quite the same… :)

49867-36433.jpg

currently we are deciding between 2,0mm and 2,1mm. the genuine has 2,0mm (measured one). I will get a prototype in both dimensions next week. I will make a photoshoot then and post here.

what do you think?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The current Panerai, 44mm handwound models, have crowns of 1.9mm thickness with a minimal bevel. I would prefer no bevel at all (like the rep 036) to an excessive bevel. This way the crown could be bevelled to suit, provided it was solid SS.

BTW, I have 2 reps with 1.9mm thickness but these are simply bevelled too much. A 111 rep from EL has a 1.9mm crown with the internal spring, just like the gen.

Why can the manufacturer of the rep 036 ti crown not be commissioned to make a batch of SS crowns to the same spec? This would be the best result so far and we already know that the dimensions and visual appearance are 'spot-on'.

I like the 2.0 mm. Looks most like genuine...

these are my thoughts too.

i have a genuine 118 crown and its 2,0mm. IMHO 1,9mm looks too thin even when its slightly or not beveled. i looked at 100 of pics and the 2mm seems to be the best. an alternative would be 2,1mm because imho i prefer a tad bit to thick than too thin looking...

we will see how it looks on pics when i shoot some comparison pics between 2mm and 2,1mm :)

as for a 001 PreV: 2,2mm all the way...

Looks like it's coming along really well...

My only comment, no matter how thick we want the crowns to be, there is one really important factor that has to be considered if this is going to work...

A too thick crown will not allow the crown to pull out enough to be able to move the keyless works from winding to time setting...so no matter what, if you can't change the time then it's not going to work.

Can't wait to see them in person.

RG

My only comment, no matter how thick we want the crowns to be, there is one really important factor that has to be considered if this is going to work...

A too thick crown will not allow the crown to pull out enough to be able to move the keyless works from winding to time setting...so no matter what, if you can't change the time then it's not going to work.

RG

thanks The Zigmeister. The watchmaker I use tried a real crown (from a real gmt he was working on) on my 099. we couldn't pull it out far enough to set the time. His solution would have been to slightly shorten the crown tube, which he say's he would be reluctant to do because if he went to far the opposite would be that you couldn't wind it. I don't know what the measurement's were but we guessitmated that it was .2mm thicker.

So Tommy, when they finish making the first batch for testing, it will all be 2.0mm? Would that be the case? Or would there be some ultra thick 2.2s being made as well? Thanks again for all of your efforts.

this is currently being discussed, either 2.0mm or 2.1mm. we want to make sure that no one still says "it looks too thin". so its better to have them slightly thicker than too thin.

it would be ablolutely great to have a run in 2.2mm too afterwards. but that depends on how many interested members there are. but if its on me, i will do everything to have these made too...

Tommy I still think it best to go for the 2.0mm size. Remember that one member here has a couple of genuine crown which he has painstakingly measured and they are 1.91mm thick so we are already going over that with 2mm. At 2mm they will look perfect. A 2.2 run for the Pre-A types as a seperate deal is an excellent idea and I am sure you would sell plenty of them (count me in on a couple of those)

Tommy I still think it best to go for the 2.0mm size. Remember that one member here has a couple of genuine crown which he has painstakingly measured and they are 1.91mm thick so we are already going over that with 2mm. At 2mm they will look perfect. A 2.2 run for the Pre-A types as a seperate deal is an excellent idea and I am sure you would sell plenty of them (count me in on a couple of those)

yes i lean towards the 2.0mm too. but its interesting that he has crowns that are 1.92mm. mine is 2mm...hmmmm. seems that Panerai also has some differences in their model lines like rlx

Edited by palpatine

...hmmmm. seems that Panerai also has some differences in their model lines like rlx

Yes, as for the cyclops we (Archibald, Finepics, kruzer00 and me) already verified that OP mounted different sizes on different models -- and possibly even on different releases of one same model.

No wonder it could be the same for the crown.

Btw: I vote for the 2mm.

Btw2: thanks, Tommy! :)

RG

Agreed. We definitely have to be careful not to overdo it. 2.0mm is the way to go.

Hey, Tommy. Would any modifications be needed for the 2.2mm crowns to work? As Ziggy mentioned prior, the thicker crown might not allow the stem to be fully pulled out/extended to the time setting position; I just pulled the crown on my Davidsen 009 to the time setting position, and with the thinner crown the outer edge is already almost touching the inside of the crown guard.

I'd absolutely like to fit the thicker 2.2mm one to my watch, but am concerned about this potential issue :unsure: