When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Explorer II or Explorer vintage

cib0rgman

I was wondering of one of the experts can help with this.

I really like the Explorer this week I flew to Atlanta and this guy seating next to me was wearing a Explorer II, I think the watch is simple and very hard to spot if is a fake. I would like to hear comments about the vintage version too.

Can someone tell what dealers has the best edition I think Eddie Lee has a very good one.

Link to eddielee http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=1874

Thanks

Edited by cib0rgman

I'm no expert but I really like my vintage EXP I. The older ones have a slower beat than the modern ones so it actually makes an Asian mov't a more accurate rep :bleh:

I had mine relumed and installed a rivet bracelet. It makes a greal little beater with a real "no-nonsense military" vibe :victory:

I just wanted to add that the rivet bracelet from Silix has solid center links which, while not as accurate, make the watch feel more substantial.

Edited by oswald

I love the Explorer and EXP II. My EXP II is my daily watch. It has several flaws that are easily identified by someone in the know. Still, I think unless you are talking to a WIS or put it next to a genuine, it would be difficult to spot it as a rep. The hand stack is the biggest issue, although that has been corrected in some of the newer 2836 versions, as has the longer, thinner GMT hand. The bezel font and date font are the other two areas to look out for when picking up an EXP II.

I have a modern Explorer that I really like too. I tend to wear it as a dress watch. Very simple and very hard to spot as a rep. I'm curious to know where one could source a gen. dial? As far as I was concerned, the Explorer rep was pretty spot on, but that would be a very cool mod. If anyone knows, I'd be interested to find out. Also, I tend to like the modern version over the vintage.

Good luck with your choice. Can't go wrong with EL. Joshua has a nice Explorer too.

Climb on.

Guest Sql_pl

I would go for modern Exp I or II.

I got myself Exp II because it is a bit bigger than Exp I and I got used to bigger watches.

I got the newest, possibly best version of this rep with correct hand stack, corrected GMT hand, correct bold bezel numerals, hollow mid link bracelet etc etc.

I believe it is really close to gen right out of the box.

This watch is not as common as Sub in both rep and gen worlds plus even as a gen it is pretty affordable so it is not that difficult to make people believe it is not a rep.

Here are some pics:

51014-36207.jpg

51014-36208.jpg

51014-36209.jpg

Cheers!