When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

UPO

bruce79

Here is my attempt at a photo review of my new UPO. I know there are several in depth reviews on this particular watch so here are just some additional photos and brief thoughts to go with those reviews. My thoughts: When the postman handed me the box my first thoughts were, "My God, what's in this thing". Very substantial piece. To say this thing is a beast is an understatement. I'm 6'5" 240lb. with 8"+ wrist and this thing is big on me. Right on to those smaller wrists rocking this thing. This is my second Omega rep, never owned a gen but I checked out a PO at the AD a couple of weeks ago which is what prompted me to get this guy.

I'll start with the cons: As many have said, not much wrong with this watch for being a rep. On my watch, the 12 & 6 hour indices are ever so slightly crooked. I've checked out some other photos of UPOs and they all seem to be slightly off. It sucks but it's a rep, right? The pearl also seems to be a little too green...when the indices and the pearl are charged, they all glow the same color green but the pearl stays green constantly...not sure if this is how the gen is but I doubt it.

Also, it appears that the crown sits out a bit from the case, as if it's open a bit...doesn't sit flush with the case. Not a big deal but I wouldn't trust this watch in anything H20 other than washing my hands.

Now for the pros: This watch's finish is the best I've seen on a stock rep, period. By finish I mean 'finish' as a complete watch. This is something that cannot be seen in photos but only fully understood in person. (Those of you who have them know what I mean.) The crystal shows very light ar but it really seals the deal with this watch. In the right light, this watch really pops. Where the brushed edges of the case meet the polished edges, very nicely done. Just an all around classic watch. Due to the size, this watch is probably not for everybody but it's definitely a milestone for reps and a testament as to just how far reps have come...certainly since I got in the game just over 2 years ago. Enjoy.

IMG_2963.jpg

IMG_2994.jpg

IMG_2993.jpg

IMG_2995.jpg

IMG_3015.jpg

IMG_3014.jpg

IMG_3013.jpg

IMG_3012.jpg

IMG_3017.jpg

IMG_3016.jpg

IMG_3018.jpg

IMG_2998.jpg

Edited by bruce79

Congrats man... great purchase. And I agree 100%, really heavy and substantial piece. Pictures can't quite capture it.

Your last photo shows nicely how it dwarfs the poor old Sub. :)

I'm very big guy too... also have a '8 wrist. I think UPO is just a bit too massive and I actually preferred the 42mm. But then again this is a classic rep which belongs to every Omega fans collection.

Yeah, the weight/size of this thing is border line insane. I'm looking for a nice leather strap for it but as anyone with big wrists know, easier said than done. Same thing with shoes (size 15). I put my Di Modell chrono strap on it and it looks quite nice but I'd like to find a nice croc grain strap. All the OEM stuff including the rubber are all standard length and are not nearly long enough. Putting the UPO on a strap is much needed from time to time, really makes it so much more comfortable to wear.

Congratulations. This is one of the best and destined to be a classic. I have a 7.5" wrist and find that the band is very comfortable. Once you get over the initial "man this thing is heavy" reaction and wear it for a while, it is actually one of the most comfortable in my collection.

FYI, I have found mine to be watertight and have had no issues.

Thanks for the review :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The UPO is from Precious Time. Communication was good. The processing of the order (from when funds were received to when watch shipped) was just over a week. From when the watch shipped to when it was on my wrist was amazing...shipped on the 9/3, on my wrist 9/6. I was quoted 14 days and he made it happen in 13, I'll take it. ^_^

Thanks for the review! As far as I am concerned the weakness of this watch is in the crown/Tube assembly. If like me you are constantly unscrewing it to wind the watch, it won't last. The threads are weak, and strip very easily. My black one striped in a matter of days, and my orange one has started feeling a little funny as well.

Thanks for the review! As far as I am concerned the weakness of this watch is in the crown/Tube assembly. If like me you are constantly unscrewing it to wind the watch, it won't last. The threads are weak, and strip very easily. My black one striped in a matter of days, and my orange one has started feeling a little funny as well.

I agree. The threads are questionable. Doesn't really affect the appearance of the watch but it's very tough to screw in. Just have to be super careful when screwing in...always back 3/4 turn, then slowly forward. We'll see how long it lasts. Has anyone installed a gen tube/crown?

I think a few members have installed a gen tube/crown combo on the UPO. Shouldn't be a problem.

My crown functions flawlessly and solidly after 8 months. I don't have any of those problems. It screws in and out like a dream... I think hand winding the watch might stress the threads... so I'd advice people not to do it. I never, ever hand wind any of my watches.

That's just a wild guess though. Or perhaps mine came from a different batch?

My crown functions flawlessly and solidly after 8 months. I don't have any of those problems. It screws in and out like a dream... I think hand winding the watch might stress the threads... so I'd advice people not to do it. I never, ever hand wind any of my watches.

Well I don't think that would make a difference. I unscrew it to wind, then leave it like that until I wear it again. So I only screw/unscrew once per wear, which I would have to do anyway, assuming it sat for more than 2 days. BTW, the orange one still screws down fine, just seems to unscrew a lot quicker than it used to. Its like 5 turns to tighten, and one or two to release. I seem to remember my black doing something like that before it went.

Yeah, the weight/size of this thing is border line insane. I'm looking for a nice leather strap for it but as anyone with big wrists know, easier said than done. Same thing with shoes (size 15). I put my Di Modell chrono strap on it and it looks quite nice but I'd like to find a nice croc grain strap. All the OEM stuff including the rubber are all standard length and are not nearly long enough. Putting the UPO on a strap is much needed from time to time, really makes it so much more comfortable to wear.

I wonder if the UPO is heavier than the SO steelfish, because the SO is also about 230 gm before resizing. My SO SF is 210 gm after taking 2-3 links out, as you know it is 44 mm case diameter and I feell quite comfortable with it. The "UPO" is only 1.5 mm bigger, is that such a big difference? Probably I will see it when I get my ordered UPO. My wrist is very thin, about 16 cm circumference (~6.5 inches?), and I feel quite comfortable with the SOSF. The SO may look smaller because the dial/bezel ratio is much different than the UPO and not due to this 1 mm difference in case size. In any case , a leather or rubber strap makes the UPO much lighter, I tried this in a gen.

Hey rafib, same sentiments... wondering if the UPO is too big for me...

Guys, compared to the 44mm panerai, is the UPO that much bigger, or roughly the same?

Edit: I like big watches :D, just afraid that it will be insanely big or clownish

Cheers.

Ed

Edited by ed11

Thanks for the review! As far as I am concerned the weakness of this watch is in the crown/Tube assembly. If like me you are constantly unscrewing it to wind the watch, it won't last. The threads are weak, and strip very easily.

Why do you wind the watch so much? Just give it a little shake before you start wearing it, it would be much less wear and tear on the crown.

Does the caseback have the cross hatch pattern inside the circle? PT told me this is missing in some of the new versions. I really want one, but I'm afraid I may have missed the boat as far as the great versions released earlier this year.

If you're referring to the textured area surrounding the horse on the case back, it's probably not as defined as the gen or perhaps even some 'earlier' versions of the UPO. Is it a give away? Not in my opinion. Is it a reason not to buy the watch? I don't think so. The inner portion of my case back already has a few light scratches and I imagine with wear, the texture will become dull/scratched anyway.

Edited by bruce79

• 2 weeks later...