When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Whahoo! Just bought Gen Ladies Cartier Tank on ebay !

BobM

I have been chasing this buy for at least 4 months. It is the only watch my lady has wanted. Now that we have this one coming, maybe she will think of another one. ;)

I first tracked sales of 4-5 of them. Got a price fix at about $450. I have bid on about 5 of them.. Then there was a drought of them, but then they went crazy! ... $520 ... $714 ... $910, then $917 !! What!

I see about 1 or 2 a week of the specific watch we wanted ... circa 1970s, Must de Cartier, 20 micron gold plate over sterling, champagne dial. There were two that popped up that were what we wanted. I moved to nail down the first of those and expected it not to go so high. Won it today at $505, $525 delivered.

Happy to have a done deal. :1a:

A Cartier Tank for $505! :o

Um Bob can you show us the auction listing please.

Ken

Here is the url to the Transaction page:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A:IT&ih=008

When I get the prize I will take pictures and post them. You should have the pictures from the transaction page; however, the trx page pics are not good. I think that and the "discoloration" on the back of the case is why it did not draw higher bids.

:Jumpy:

What a bargain, baby! I am so happy for you. I have a 1975 Cartier tank, very similar in style, and it's BEAUTIFUL. I am so happy for you both. Pics! Pics! :)

Your happiness for our little 'victory', I can tell, is heartfelt. You are a very kind person. Thank you.

I'm a little worried here Bob on a few of points the first is the shockingly bad photo's, second is that it seems very cheap for a gen Cartier tank to me and lastly it clearly states it is a manual movement and to my understanding they are supposed to be Swiss quartz.

Ken

I'm a little worried here Bob on a few of points the first is the shockingly bad photo's, second is that it seems very cheap for a gen Cartier tank to me and lastly it clearly states it is a manual movement and to my understanding they are supposed to be Swiss quartz.

Ken

I appreciate your concern.

However, it really is not a 'super' price. I have tracked more than 10 that have sold as low as $219 to as high as $917, but most - until very recently - have been around $450 plus 50, minus 20.

Later models do have a quartz movement; however, we did NOT want the quartz model. The quartz versions seem to sell for, perhaps, about a $100 more. Also, remember this version of the Cartier Tank is not solid 18k gold. It is gold plate over sterling. The solid 18k versions sell around $2300.

This is the version my wife wanted. (God bless her!)

And, - thank you again for your concern for my welfare - I am not concerned about the 'fuzzy' pictures. I have seen many times that a nice, crisp presentaion ... or a particularly nice presentation by a 'professional' seller will draw higher bids than bids on items presented by amateurs ... those selling onezies.

I am surprised y'all feel this is such a great price. I actually had earlier hoped to buy this watrch for about $450, but was willing to go a little higher for this one because 1) I could finally get this nailed down and behind us, 2) I expected it to sell for a little less because of the bad pictures and because of the discoloration on the back of the case. and 3) besides, there is another one in auction now, with that auction ending in about 3 days. So I could get another shot at a Tank, if I failed to close on this one. But I expect that Tank to sell for about $700 because of the nice crisp presentation on it.

It will be a week-ten days before we get this watch. I will let you know how it works out.