When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

breitling blackbird

dadog13

Josh is announcing a new release...Breitling Blackbird...the price isn't still there but it should be as the other B4B Big date...around 400$..it will be with the new asian 7750 28.8K...looks good, but I am no expert...check his website...don't want to post the link, dunno if it is appropriate...it looks that the AR is pretty strong...nice!

so what are the first impressions when you saw it?...i like it!

Edited by dadog13

looks nice.. can't really tell if the new rep has recessed subdials.. If they in fact are recessed, then they're looking a little shallow in comparison to the GEN, or maybe its just the lighting

They ARE recessed accurately, can see in one of Joshua's side-on pics (top row middle). Just lighting and usual post-production tampering ;)

On the main seconds counter (@3), the "20" and "40" designations should be lower and nearly touch the "25" and "35" markers.

Same goes with the "10" and "20" minutes counter @9.

The Hours @6 subdial seems a little small as the outer ring of the subdial should reach the markers at 5 and 7.

Great news! :D A nice change from all the basic 7750 chronographs. This is the only big-date Breitling I really like!

The Zigmeisterzumba did an excellent Review of the seconds@3 movement and found it to be a well executed conversion. I don't know about the Big Date conversion though.. Misaligned date would bugger me a lot!

I want the Skyland :(

Me too :D patience my friend, patience.

Wasn't aware of The Zigmeister's secs@3 teardown, but subtract from that the big date and chrono function all rolled into an asian 7750 and it all equals "paperweight" in my opinion :unsure: Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but having had an asian 7750 daydate crap out on me just this week, I feel inclined to listen to my gut on this one. And my gut is saying, "NOOOoooooooo" :nonono:

Still having seen the gen in AD window, I can confirm it is a thing of beauty, not a word to describe, nearest is that lightning bolt 'zing' thing in the post ratings. However it is on that nasty multi-links bracelet, so nice to see rep makers showing more taste and supplying on black leather deployant.

*edit* oh and the gen had a tasty price tag too, not much change from FOUR GRAND......yes that's

I love the Blackbird, but worring about the pearl and the markers is like worring about a dent on you car door when the wheels are missing. The gen would have different subdial spacing as well as asymetric pushers, which means from the front AND the side, it's a non starter for accuracy nuts. However, thses flaws make it about the same as the majority of other reps--for people who don't know it might as well be gen. For a collector, it's an instant spot.I love the Blackbird, but worring about the pearl and the markers is like worring about a dent on you car door when the wheels are missing. The gen would have different subdial spacing as well as asymetric pushers, which means from the front AND the side, it's a non starter for accuracy nuts. However, thses flaws make it about the same as the majority of other reps--for people who don't know it might as well be gen. For a collector, it's an instant spot.

Everybody that have posted thus far, have pretty much said what I wanted to say and pointed out. I have wanted this watch for so long, and now they are finally making it. For a while, I actually have thought about buying a gen blackbird. now that it is out, I am back into that hesitation again. the bezel pearl reminded me of the SMP chrono. It looks to be hit and miss, depending on your luck. And that date window, it was how I fell in love with the watch in the first place, ever since from the Crosswind special models. But like others have said also, what if you have some misaligned date issue? I hope that The Zigmeister can fix those too. But this is one area where using a standard good ol' ETA parts paid off. If the date cannot be realigned by a watchsmith, then we would be in trouble. For some reason, the movement actually does not worry me this time. Sure it is still an Asian, but after The Zigmeister's review, the worst one can do is to send it his way for a service, and it may be ok. an ETA replacement movement for this (which I don't think they make it, unless you buy it from Breitling) is just too pricey. Getting this and having it serviced would be the best route. hmmmmmm, this or possibly the iphone? drives you nuts when there are so many things you want to buy right? ;)

I love the Blackbird, but worring about the pearl and the markers is like worring about a dent on you car door when the wheels are missing. The gen would have different subdial spacing as well as asymetric pushers, which means from the front AND the side, it's a non starter for accuracy nuts. However, thses flaws make it about the same as the majority of other reps--for people who don't know it might as well be gen. For a collector, it's an instant spot.

Well maybe my 20-20 detail-trained eyesight isn't as good as I think it is, because looking at the gen, I just cannot see the subdial spacing issue you mean :huh: The gen uses ETA 2894-2 right? Same spacing as this bastardized 7750. Sure the subdials look a little smaller on the rep pics because of the lighting and disapppearing recessed borders, that's all IMO. Also can't see a hint of assymetry on the gen chrono pusher, and I've used the 360-tool on the Breit website to look at various angles. Am I missing something Archi? :unsure:

Only glaring fault (pearl QC aside) I can actually see is the caseback markings, an obvious tell if it's off your wrist.

Id like to see how recessed the big date wheels are compared to the genuine as well....at least the seconds at 3 isnt AS bad as I thought according to The Zigmeister. Still I think I prefer the Evo's polished version of this case in comparison....but its awesome they rep'd this baby....hope they dont get too greedy regarding the price or people will just take the Evo when making their final decision..

This model is great, I do hope however an SS band model is released as well as the leather option..

And as mentioned already my untrained eyes cannot spot the difference on the pushers from rep vs. gen so any pros out tehre if you could post some pics to show ...we would all gladly appreciate it.

I do however notice a terrible allingment issue on the pearl and on the 6 o'clock rider tab, i hope it's lighting or perspective or maybe just that watch that was used.