When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Which motorbike?

thealphabeta

Hi all you bikers!

Im looking to buy my first motorbike. Im in the process of having lessons.

What do you suggest for a first bike...i've been looking at the suzuki bandit and ducati monster 600's.

Im 22 so need to be careful on insurance, plus i need something forgiving (dont want to screw this riding up) :unsure:

Cheers

Hmmm... go easy on the aspirations. Both are great bikes - I'd go for the Duke every time... but you are still wet behind the ears - get some more experience before you leap from a 125 to a 600.

Best advice - book a days tuition at the Donington race track. You will learn so much ... and it will stand you in good stead.

I know what I'm talking about. I've held a motorcycle licence for more than forty years, own five bikes and spent two years as a London motorcycle courier. Despite these credentials, I learned a great deal from Donington (it taught me that I'm a really crap rider :-) and had a marked improvement on the way I ride on the road.

Another tip: Follow police patrol bikes through traffic... they don't hurry... but they get through very quickly. Do what they do... and so will you. When I was a courier, these guys taught me a lot about riding in thick traffic. Free lessons from police motorcyclists... that has to be a bargain :-)

Next tip: Get out of the way of motorbike couriers. They know what they are doing - you don't. Don't try to race them - you'll just make a prat of yourself. Especially, don't get in their way when running between lanes of traffic 'cos it pisses them off to be delayed by a set of L-plates.

Final tip: If you see a motorcycle courier with L-plates, really, really get out of his way - fast. These people are complete nutters anxious to demonstrate their riding skills to the rest of the two-wheeled community. Such people are dangerous! They have something to prove - you don't. Don't be part of their accident.

Edited by Highflyingclive

Ha cheers everyone. I think a Ducati is a little out of my league!!!

Clive, thanks for the advice its very sound although i will still be getting a 600! Not a true racer though something more forgiving like the hornet or bandit.

I was reading about the donnington day in Ride actually and i agree it looked well worth it.

One thing that worries me (and my mum :)) is the danger factor. What are your views on this. Obviously i know its dangerous but im teetering on the edge of is it too dangerous kinda thing...

Dave

Cagiva Mito is one of the best motorbikes for beginners. it looks awesome and is just a 125/150ccm bike (means it doesnt have much power, but it still HAS a lot of power!)

I loved that bike when I was young... It is soooo awesome! I had it in yellow, but was involved in an accident and since those are very rare (and had to be imported from italy back then) I got a black one as replacement!

pic:

52947-35982.jpg

What do you suggest for a first bike...i've been looking at the suzuki bandit and ducati monster 600's.

I have a Ducati 748. If I were 22, I'd need to sell it to pay for insurance.

My advice, for a Ducati feel, but a lot easier for a beginner/newbie: Suzuki SV650. You can get older ones (a few years) for good money and they have that twin feel.

52954-35980.jpg

DaveR@

Its dangerus to ride bikes trust me this is one thing people cant argue on..

I have had 2 crashes both end up in hospital one time my fault other type i was gunned down by a car.

Just thake a look at my ninja after the crash this pic only show 30%of the damage.

52966-35979.jpg

Honda Hornett is a great beginner bike dont do like me and buy R-Bike they are very addictiv bikes :Jumpy:

Go out and buy a cheap in-line 4 tourer first. Great learning bike and if you dump it you won't sweat it. :) Whatever you do, always wear a helmet and leathers (at least Kevlar coated jeans in the case of pants). I will testify, Road Rash sucks. With full leathers on I bounced up off the tarmac with nary a scratch after a 70-80 mph spill. The spill I took, without a leather jacket, at 25 miles an hour after being bumped by a car left road rash which bothered me for weeks. No broken bones though. :)

I have had a bike since I was 16. I am now 59. Take my advice and look at the many used bikes you will see at large dealers. Pick up a 125 to 250 will be low in price, easy to learn on and plenty of fun. I drove a Honda 160 from Illinois to Colorado when I was 20 - 18 hours on a bike. It rained all the way through misouri and I dryed out half way through Kansas. Great fun.

Then, after you have layed in down a few times, hopefully at low speeds (and this wil happen), then think about a 600 or there abouts.

Buy a Honda if you want to ride and not tinker on your bike. very reliable.

Usil

Make sure that there is body armour in the knees, forearms, shoulders and back of your riding leathers.

It makes going down the road on your [censored] - and you will - a lot more like fun.

And you won't spend so much time in hospital afterwards.

BTW - I'm actually a brilliant rider. The life expectancy of a London courier is eighteen months - I lasted two years. 80,000 miles, fell off once, got knocked off once and got one speeding ticket. Quite a result.

Oh, yes... and I had a trainee taxi-driver, doing the knowlege on a step-thru, off his bike and onto his bum. :lol:

Edited by Highflyingclive

Im just having lessons at the moment. Why do you ask?

i am asking because if you are just taking lessons...go easy!

bike & cars are dangerous toys...if they are powerful and you are without experience....

take a smaller bike and learn for a year or more...and then get the beast when you'll have enough experience...

after that get yourself a bike like this...53369-35912.jpg

This probably isn't an option for you, but if it is, I would give serious consideration to buying a Harley, even second hand. More power than you'll ever need, and a "wow factor" that's off the scale.

53577-35864.jpg

Les

Cheers guys you've all been so helpful and full of advice.

Thing is in the UK you learn on a 500, thats just the way it is. If i go on the 4 day training course then that is what they put me on.

Most of my friends ride a 600 hornet, fazer or bandit. I think the SV is definately a nice bike to learn on so thanks for the advice.

I know its dangerous and that does scare me a little but i just cant help but want to ride!