When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ok, I'm bored tonight.....

predfan2001

Well it's been 6 months since I found this group and bought my first rep. Now I'm at that magical point when I look down and add up what I've spent and think "I could have bought a gen!". But I've had tons of fun with this hobby and I have learned alot. Visiting this site has become a daily routine. The RWG is full of information that has been very educational to me and I hope to learn more. I've been able to use some of the things I have learned from other hobbies in mod'ing reps. I also restore vintage cars, build military models and restore antique toy trucks. My next project is a 5513 Submariner rep that I plan on "vintaging" quite a bit. I plan on doing some dry brushing and airbrushing to the dial I have chosen, skills I have learned from model building.

In the past, I have owned several Rolex and Omega watches (and they are the only reps I own..love'em) but now I have to admit, I knew very little about them. It's a wonder I never got screwed! I am also a member of a Rolex forum and knowing what I know now, some of the posts there are humorous. Many of those guys are spending thousands for gens and have no idea if they are gen of fake. I truely feel that if you want to know gens, you have to know reps.

Ok, I'm rambling.....here's where I'm at with my rep purchases in 6 months:

rep 1: Omega PO 42.5mm from Brand9ave. It came in with a damaged crystal (chipped on the inside). Sent it back.

rep2: Omega UPO from Brand9ave. Replacement for the 42.5mm. Granted the logo has feet and the pearl isn't great, it is a nice and substantial watch.

rep3: Rolex "Steve McQueen" Explorer II w/ asian movement from Trustytime. It didn't even work one day....threw it in the parts heap.

rep4: Omega GMT with asian movement from Trustytime. Fell in love with this watch and invested in a gen SMP band. I wear it almost every day.

rep5: Omega GMT with asian movement from Trustytime. Liked the first one so much, got a second one. Left the "speedy" band on this one.

rep6: Rolex "Ultimate" Submariner from Trustytime. Got this one as a result of problems with the Explorer II. He gave me a huge discount but I hated the conical rehaut. Ended up putting a Tudor dial in it for a beater.

rep7: Rolex 14060 nodate Submariner from Trustytime. Ordered it based on his pics....the watch I received was hidious so I sent it back. Totally misrepresented.

rep8: Rolex "Steve McQueen" Explorer II w/ETA movement from Trustytime. Dead on arrival...sent it back.

rep9: Rolex "Perfect" Sea-Dweller from Trustytime. Replacement for the Explorer II at a discount for the trouble. He didn't want to give me a refund and offered this watch. I don't really like Sea-Dwellers so I've never worn it. It looks pretty good I guess. At this point I chose to shop elsewhere for reps....to many problems with Trustytime. Yes, Andrew is nice. I just have no luck with his products and returns to China get expensive.

rep10: Rolex "no crown guard" Submariner from Silix. I like the watch, but I had to install a NATO strap because the lugholes are drilled way to far in and a band will not stay on it good. The springbars were bent from the factory to get the band on. Still a cool watch for the price.

rep11: Rolex 5517 Submariner from Silix. I've really had fun with this one. My first serious attempts at mods.

rep12: Rolex "red" 1680 Submariner from Silix. A great ETA Sub for the money. Date mag is weak but it functions perfectly. Getting ready to start a few mods.

rep13: Rolex 5517 Submariner from Silix. Liked the first one so much I got another one. I'm going to "vintage" this one a little more.

I also now own a "amateur" selection of new and vintage watch tools I've aquired from eBay. I'm also massing quite a big scrap heap of parts, but it gives me something to do.

The photography section has even inspired me to scrap my old 1.3mp camera and got a 6.0. Pug's tips in the photography area helped me take better pics :clap:

Thanks to all who post here. Your posts are helpful to all of us wheather we work on them or just wear them :thumbsupsmileyanim:

S6300489.jpg

S6300078.jpg

P1010016-1.jpg

fr2.jpg

S6300312.jpg

P1010005-4.jpg

S6300236.jpg

S6300480.jpg

S6300357.jpg

S6300464.jpg

S6300424.jpg

S6300449.jpg

Edited by predfan2001

Guest carlsbadrolex

So Im not the only one with a desk full of spare parts... Although, I would say that is a hefty collection after just 6 months. I have now cataloged and boxed most of my spare parts. Im going to build a car out of them some day soon!

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, your collection aside, that's one hell of a work bench! Truly a place of worship! No need to say "enjoy" I can see you already are!

Thanks! It's not much, but I have enough tools to do a complete and proper disassembly and reassembly. I already had many tools that I use for mods (drill press, buffer, Dremel...). I would advise anybody thinking about taking their watch apart to invest in the proper tools first.

As you can see in the pic, I have several cheap tools like the pin press, crystal press and other misc tools. Cheap plastic tools like these are fine and get the job done but I would recommend purchasing high quality Swiss or vintage tools such as screwdrivers, picks, tweezers, hand pullers and punches.

Edited by predfan2001

• 3 months later...
Thanks! It's not much, but I have enough tools to do a complete and proper disassembly and reassembly. I already had many tools that I use for mods (drill press, buffer, Dremel...). I would advise anybody thinking about taking their watch apart to invest in the proper tools first.

As you can see in the pic, I have several cheap tools like the pin press, crystal press and other misc tools. Cheap plastic tools like these are fine and get the job done but I would recommend purchasing high quality Swiss or vintage tools such as screwdrivers, picks, tweezers, hand pullers and punches.

Like the watches dont like the guns I think you could defend your self by flashing a good rep at the intruder as he will get jelous and just run back to his mom instead.

I noticed you had two 'McQueen' Explorers one Asian one Swiss both not working . Well I had The same watch from Andy at tt and its as trusty as a trusty old thing. I can see why they werent popular in their day as the face is a bit of a mess You cant see where the markers at a glance . If you were dangling from a mountain on a bosuns chair and someone threw you a rope at the same time as asking you the time you would miss the rope and fall . some explorer.

Edited by mediawonk