When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

how waterresistant are rep daytonas?

UB7

Just wondering how water resistant andrew's daytonas are, if anyone has had experience with them stock...swimming, showering..etc I would like to hear about it because im always nervous and I never let it come in contact with water...

Im probbably going to have a group of 5 or 6 watches sent out to andrew for waterproofing and hes hopefully gonna cut me some kind of deal on a bulk waterproofing...

P9170008.jpg

dayts.jpg

my 3 daytonas ^^

Thanks in advance!

-Dave

I guess you havent read all the threads about how the "waterproofing" is a scam? You better do some researching before you send those watchs out for "extra seals" installed by "swiss trained watch makers" or however they word it.

Lonnie

Just wondering how water resistant andrew's daytonas are, if anyone has had experience with them stock...swimming, showering..etc I would like to hear about it because im always nervous and I never let it come in contact with water...

Im probbably going to have a group of 5 or 6 watches sent out to andrew for waterproofing and hes hopefully gonna cut me some kind of deal on a bulk waterproofing...

P9170008.jpg

dayts.jpg

my 3 daytonas ^^

Thanks in advance!

-Dave

If the watch is important to you, I would have it water-pressure tested by a watchmaker or keep it away from water altogether. And that means taking the watch off when you are washing or bathing as well as swimming. Even if a rep is advertised as being waterproof to some random depth, I would take that with a huge grain of salt, at least until you have the watch properly tested by a trained watchmaker. And even for watches that I have built myself (fitted with new seals), I tend to keep them away from water. Most of my watches are vintage models with gen parts that are often 2 or more decades old. Over time, plastic crystals can become hardened and brittle and may not properly seal against the case even though you cannot see anything wrong with them.

So you guys are saying theres no such thing as waterproofing? On TT under watch service, theres for 50$ waterproofing for up to 50m...It wouldnt hurt to try that on 1 of my watches to see how effective it is..?Any experience?

Edited by UB7

also, would it be possible to swap a val 7750 movement into that white daytona and make the chronos function, and pusher's? if so, who can do this for me, and for aprox. how much? also was thinking a gen dial or at least a white dial to match the other 2...besides the 3,6,9 markers and subdial spacing its not horrible it just annoys me cause its not nearclt as accure like the others...

Edited by UB7

So you guys are saying theres no such thing as waterproofing? On TT under watch service, theres for 50$ waterproofing for up to 50m...It wouldnt hurt to try that on 1 of my watches to see how effective it is..?Any experience?

In the main these watches are drop shipped, so the dealers don't see them.

If waterproofing was to be done, it would have to be at the assembly point, and I don't think a lot of these cottage assemblers even own a tester.

Spending $50 in this situation would be like tearing the money up... IMHO.

As a matter of fact.. send it to me, I will take care of it for you :p

To my knowledge only one collector offers a pre shipping inspection, and can and will do a WP test.

(Although it would be wise to ask any collector who actually handles and ships the watch, what he can offer, AND guarantee!)

However a test, is different to Waterproofing.... if the watch was not properly constructed, it WILL leak.

If it was poorly assembled, it WILL leak. And no amount of testing will change that.

Some watches may be able to be made WP... some never. But in a lot of cases it would be far cheaper to just keep testing watches (with correctly designed seal systems,) until one passed.... and that doesn't mean it will necessarily continue to be WP.

You can take your existing watches to your local friendly repairer, and ask him to test them. I beleive the going rate is about $30- $35 in the US, just about all here in Oz are around the $30 mark. All this does is say... this watch did/didn't leak at

xx(mtr/ft/ atm/bar) If it exhibits a minor leak, it may be possible that inadequte lube is the cause, and is a relatively simple fix.

But hey, if the bloody thing never had stem seals, (and maybe was never designed, or manufactured to have 'em) it will leak, and continue to. ( This same statement holds true for pushers... probably even more so, as they are push seals, not screw down)

If someone forgot to fit a case seal, or nicked it, or failed to lubricate it at assembly, it will leak. maybe an easy fix, maybe not.

If the crystal was improperly fitted, maybe repairable, again, maybe not. If however it was improperly designed, spec'd, or manufactured... water is going to get in!

I look at every watch I see, (and I see 20-30 on some days) as NOT being WP. Once I have tested it, I see it as WP... right now, to 1/2 the depth tested. (My personal take on things, no facts in that statement!)

But frankly the moment it leaves my hands, there can be no guarantees.

I had a Seiko Divers in recently, did some work, and tested it for the client. Passed. I know it had a new case back seal, because it was one I didn't carry, and had to order from the Seiko agent. ( at great expense I might add)

This watch passed at 10atm, but turned up flooded, about 2 months later. When I opened it, the seal was missing!

After much questioning, the owner admitted that "a mate", had opened the case back... for what reason no one knows.... and obviously had not reassembled it properly. But even at that time, it would have required a further test to re WP.

As one of the collectors used to say... "They are waterproof, for a 30m dash in the rain.......maybe"

Offshore

Thanks offshore that was a very good/informative post...I tried searching these forums for waterproofing but literally nothing relevant came up thanks again...How about my ? about swapping a val 7750 movement into that white daytona to make the chronos work, possible?

Edited by UB7

As one of the collectors used to say... "They are waterproof, for a 30m dash in the rain.......maybe"
I miss Eddie and his always amusing observations :(

UB7, as for your movt question, youre talking about a trained watchmaker putting together transfer gearing moving the 12 o'clock subdial to the 3'clock position. Not ideal. The Zigmeister use to do this I believe but has stopped due to unreliability/parts etc. But even then it won't suit a gen dial as the subdial spacing is way off, same problem with all 3-6-9 tricompax chrono reps.

Best bet is either a DW 'mystery' movt, or try sourcing old Valjoux chrono movts, the 23 and 72 if I'm not mistaken (i'm not a Daytona fan, but those numbers ring a bell).

As Offshore said, don't waste your money on 'waterproofing', and especially not on a chrono as pushers are always the weak link.

Thanks black, what if I were to get a dial to match my other 2, and than swapped the movt in.? I dont get what ur saying about moving the subdials, they are all in the correct spots, just faux chronos, and they added an extra gear to get the second hand in sync with the 6 subdial, but taking the movt out and swapping in a val 7750 would solve this, no?