When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rash

Victoria

The night before last, I received some straps and decided to buff them to a shine, using Lord Sheraton. Then a bit later, I had another crack at removing that hairline scratch on my PAM 111h using diamond paste (3.5 microns). WHEN THAT was finished, I had a go at cleaning two watches with Cape Cod cloths.

Miss Genius used her bare hands to do everything.

So yesterday I notice a small little rash, and went about my merry business.

Earlier today, I wake up, and both my arms, including my Wrist-check wrists...are covered in ugly chickenpox like dots, which have even spread to my chin (I presume I touched it with the chemicals at some point).

Vanity thy name is woman, I know, but it feels and most importantly for Wrist-check purposes, looks AWFUL.

I feel very depressed with my lack of common sense. So just in case, once again though most people don't need to be told this -- use caution when using any kind of chemical or solvent in our hobby.

Please excuse any lack of posting etc., due to momentary discomfort. I'll be back in the saddle shortly. -_-

Victoria please contact a health professional in your community to make sure it is not a serious problem! It could just be a temporary adverse reaction to the chemicals but it is important for you to verify that just in case!

Got doctors up the ying-yang at home, Corgi, but thanks for your concern. The moment they arrive home (my father ironically is at a doctor's appointment himself), I'll show them.

I've self-medicated in the meantime using Lotrimin for the itchy sensation, and Keflex so that it helps my central nervous system fight something more worrisome (it could've been something I ate previously, but I doubt it).

Mind, it says quite clearly in the Cape Cod cloth tin I received, to use gloves when using their products. It even COMES with latex gloves...what a doofus.

Thanks again, Corgi! :)

@Raijor: Thanks too! P.S.: I've had the chickenpoxes (as kids call them), but not mumps, etc. But not being around kids at all, I don't fear any of that for the moment. I'm almost 100% sure it's chemical overload of topical abuse.

Got doctors up the ying-yang at home, Corgi, but thanks for your concern. The moment they arrive home (my father ironically is at a doctor's appointment himself), I'll show them.

I've self-medicated in the meantime using Lotrimin for the itchy sensation, and Keflex so that it helps my central nervous system fight something more worrisome (it could've been something I ate previously, but I doubt it).

Mind, it says quite clearly in the Cape Cod cloth tin I received, to use gloves when using their products. It even COMES with latex gloves...what a doofus.

Sorry to hear that VB, but a few things....

1. You're self-medicating with an antibiotic? :blink: What for? I know they give them out like sweeties over there, but apart from being totally pointless for suspected food poisoining never mind infection of some sort, it's also quite irresponsible <_< . Ask your Dad why.

2. At the same time, ask him to explain why antibiotics don't have anything to do with the "central nervous system" but everything to do with the "immune system" ;)

3. Cape Cod contains petroleum-based (hydrocarbon) compounds - same as putting diesel in your car, use gloves - as you realise, there's a very good reason for their presence in the tin. Not to mention any reaction with the other products you were using.

4. You almost certainly have a mild contact dermatitis, use some type of aloe or soothing cream to reduce the irritation and pop a couple of antihistamines.

You'll be fine.

4. You almost certainly have a mild contact dermatitis, use some type of aloe or soothing cream to reduce the irritation and pop a couple of antihistamines.

You'll be fine.

I knew there was a reason you had "doc" in your ID. ;)

Thanks, DBR! Yes, that's what I meant about Keflex. Now you know why I stopped attending Med School in 2nd year -- for my future patients' own safety! :p

(I am more concerned with Wrist-check photos, than anything else. What this hobby has done to me is INCREDIBLE. I'm off to veg for a few hours)

Thanks, DBR! Yes, that's what I meant about Keflex. Now you know why I stopped attending Med School in 2nd year -- for my future patients' own safety! :p

Maybe should have stopped at school-level biology? ;)

Mind you, during an exam (as in study not clinical!) I once mistook a removed uterus and ovaries for pharynx and palatine tonsils :lol: Well, they do look very similar, stretchy leathery sheet with a couple of squishy balls, pfff who's to say? Fortunately my dexterity and textbook science made up for such teeny weeny mistakes.

But seriously, V, speak to your Dad about inappropriate use of antibiotics and possible consequences. Honestly, it annoys me that global warming and bloody carbon footprints seems to be the topic d'jour these days, a pathetic joke in comparison with other more realistic threats :unsure:

Oh and BTW, I'm in the private sector now, so you can expect my invoice via PM in due course :D

and we can perhaps give you an informed decision as to the condition.....it could be Paneraipox....one never knows.....:D

:D

A worthy second opinion. Could be right. You could well have the 'pox :o

In which case, you'll need a coffee and pigs' blood enema, followed by quarantine for 30 days. Oh and your entire strap collection will need to be burnt on a pearwood pyre.

That'll teach you.

Maybe should have stopped at school-level biology? ;)

I don't even have the Prince Harry excuse of barely scraping by my A-Levels. :p

Mind you, during an exam (as in study not clinical!) I once mistook a removed uterus and ovaries for pharynx and palatine tonsils :lol:

Obviously female anatomy is still giving you problems. :lol:

But seriously, V, speak to your Dad about inappropriate use of antibiotics and possible consequences. Honestly, it annoys me that global warming and bloody carbon footprints seems to be the topic d'jour these days, a pathetic joke in comparison with other more realistic threats :unsure:

That's because Al Gore's documentary on the inappropriate use of antibiotics was shot down by Hollyweird execs. :lol:

-- Over the phone, he said to calm down (which I was!), not to eat proteins today (right, well, there goes my SoBe diet), and that he is bringing me either Cortisone-10 or Benadryl cream for the itch, and Claritin-D. Obviously, if you're in my condition, guys, one day, consult your doctor before using any of these --

Seriously, DBR, thanks a lot. As for payment, tough noogies. I'm still on the NHS. :1a:

You can always come up to Palm Beach for a nice champagne and Aloe bubble bath. I have a huge roman tub you are welcome to use....................

In total private of course. :wub:

Aww, I would, Jfreeman. I'm just scared of your squirrel's nutsack. It looks like it could knock me out. And then...what?

You'd steal my bling ROLEXES! You think I was born yesterday!?

With all the health concerns coming out of China and Chinese products I have thought about this when my "little box of SARS" as my wife likes to call the boxes that the replicas come in. It has crossed my mind that this is probably not produced in the cleanest environment, but I figure sticking with basic stainless steel reps is safest.

At least it's not PlanetOceanitis ;) Haven't had a flareup of that in a while, I think I'm over the worst of it :D

I can't top the medical advice you've been given, but, as someone with a 6mm diameter wound in their forearm (that'll teach me not to scratch) trust me when I say I sympathise :D Get well soon :D

At what extent are your arms involved, V? Only forearms, or arms too?

Any other body parts?

That's exactly the peppering of questions my father made on the phone!

It started on the palm of my hands, and fingertips. Then spread to my wrist. Then this morning, there were tiny bumps from topside to underside of my arms, until not quite my elbow. But my chin area also has smaller, blistery bumps.

Nothing else.

If I were itchy or blotchy all over my body, I would've gone to Emergency, as my father suggested right now. I declined, and he wasn't amused... ("well you've obviously diagnosed yourself. On your head be it"). You know how doctors are. ;)

Just came from CVS pharmacy. Did you know that Claritin-D is over-the-counter, doesn't require prescription or anything, BUT in the State of Florida at least, they will not dispense you any without a driver's license?

They scanned it and everything!

Wow, I felt like I was buying cocaine. Very dodgy. :p

(Reason, apparently kids open the capsules to make their own little concoctions. The till lady mentioned crystal meth, but that can't be right can it? Brave New World...)

At least it's not PlanetOceanitis ;) Haven't had a flareup of that in a while, I think I'm over the worst of it :D

I can't top the medical advice you've been given, but, as someone with a 6mm diameter wound in their forearm (that'll teach me not to scratch) trust me when I say I sympathise :D Get well soon :D

Oh darling, thanks, and to WT too!

I think I've seen that, and didn't know what that was about. Be careful, TeeJay...thanks again. :)

@World Traveller: Actually, that was my mother's first reaction when I told her that we would be buying rep stuff from China, back in June. Perhaps when winter rolls around, I'll cut back...yes, I understand how virii work, DBR! *g*

Ms. Barrett: you are obviously allergic to watches.

No, just kidding. I'm not a physician and don't play one on TV. But if it were me, I'd first try a bit of over the counter cortisone cream and see if it is better in the morning. If not, I'd see a real physician!

Good luck!

Carl

Benedryl works great on allergies .. childrens benedryl too.. be ready to go to sleep though... you can also try vinegar .. pour it over the area.. or alkaline.. (salt) to open the pores and remove the toxin.... if that doesn't work at least you have the ingredients for a great salad.. :D

never short on drama on the RWG

Ms. Barrett: you are obviously allergic to watches.

Like many kids, I had childhood allergies, including to leather and dogs! Outgrew those, thankfully for my Strapitis. ;)

I have been thinking about this a lot, since I posted.

I've used Cape Cod cloths many times, and I admit, each time without gloves. I had also cleaned my straps with conditioners before. Could the clincher have been the diamond paste?

It says to use goggles, in fact, in the directions. The guy in Timezone just swirled around some paste with his finger, so I took the chance...

Anyway, using all 3 in the space of some minutes was surely brain-dead of me.

Oh darling, thanks, and to WT too!

I think I've seen that, and didn't know what that was about. Be careful, TeeJay...thanks again. :)

I was stupid enough to absentmindedly scratch an itch without washing my hands first. Ironic that I do so five times a day, but the one time I get my hands dirty, I scratched before washing them <_< Oh well, I have creams and whatnot, it'll heal up :)

It started on the palm of my hands, and fingertips. Then spread to my wrist. Then this morning, there were tiny bumps from topside to underside of my arms, until not quite my elbow. But my chin area also has smaller, blistery bumps.

Very uncommon for an allergic dermatitis, urticaria-like, to slowly spread along many hours. And chin is an even stranger location.

Personally, I would not take any drugs before a diagnosis is made. 90% chances are that your rush is self-estinguishing. Otherwise (e.g. some mild exanthematic disease), things will become soon clear.

Best wishes, let us know how this goes on.

Miz V, I think you should seriously consider Carl's suggestion that you might well have a watch allergy. Such afflictions are not unknown, esp. in the humid, salt-laden air which Florida sports...

I suggest strongly that you tightly wrap all your watches - and straps, too, they might well be a part of this syndrome- in plastic film and bubble-wrap, stuff them into several plush toys, and post them immediately to me for thorough inspection and analysis.

You should be cured in no time atall, atall. :rofl: :rofl: :hypocrite: :hypocrite: