When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

new daytona

kevin300z

I think you may need to upgrade your membership in order to access some of the premium features. But here is the relevant section of Ziggy's review:

Why did they not oil the movement?

Remember I said that the movement was not oiled? Why would someone make such a nice movement, and not oil it except for the balance cap jewels? What does oil do in the pivots and jewels? Sure it reduces wear by allowing the pivot to rotate on a film of oil and not touch the jewel. It also adds a small amount of friction to the pivots - a very small amount mind you - but friction is increased when you oil a watch. A dry pivot on a jewel will require less power to turn than one with a film of oil between the pivot and the jewel, at least in the initial stages of the usage of the watch. It is possible to over-oil a movement, so much so that it doesnt run at all what is my point with all this?

Have you figured out yet why they did not oil the movement?

Take a movement, add 11 extra gears, causing the movement to be on the verge of not working, and to make it all work, reduce the friction in the movement to the least amount you can. How ? by not oiling any of the pivots make sense doesnt it, it does to me this is pure speculation on my part, but the only reason I can come up with.

Did/Can you check the beat of the caliber? Even a slightly off beat caliber can stop under the stress of the extra gears, only to be restarted when stirred. If you feel like doing a bit of work yourself, read this thread on DIY beat and speed regulation. http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=32933 This ahould be a first step before going into taking apart/oiling the a7750.

Oh, and for oiling instructions, visit the ETA technical documents of the calibers. They present what type of oil goes where. This might be easier said than done..

I have not. However, a quick glance at the link you provided has peaked my interest. I will be reading that in detail shortly.

Also, I know how to access these documents on the ETA website, unless they have shut them down in the past couple of months. Actually, I believe that I have the PDFs saved on my desktop.

I am assuming that these documents will say what type of oil, the amount, and the location, but how are these oils typically applied and where is the best place to purchase them? Would it be Ofrei, or is there an alternate you prefer?

That does it, I've made up my mind that the secs @ 6 Daytona is not worth it, the movement is jerry rigged and has a very good chance of failing. A real shame.

@mag1119

I've seen an inexpensive version of this all black Daytona on cqout.com, it looks really sharp.

Thanks to both freddy333 and to rekoo1 for your replies. It seems from The Zigmeister's post that this is a power issue (stressing the already stressed movement) which is done by way of the oil causing it to require more power to function. My question now becomes: how much oil is the right amount and how much is too much? Parts that essentially need lubrication in order to continue to function can only go so long without before failure, no? The friction caused by the oil is different than the friction caused by no lubrication at all. Having the power used to run the watch resisting dry friction is a different animal than oil caused friction, is it not? In which case the (extra) oil would be akin to walking through oil or mud on a hot day on a sidewalk. Which is worse, the friction of walking on a dry surface, or the extra resistance of walking through the oil? Is there a safe median?

rek001, I need to look at CQout a bit closer. My question was is there a gen of this watch or is it fantasy? One needs to know before wearing a fantasy watch; if one exists in the gen world, it makes a difference.

rek001, I just checked it out on CQout. 21 jewel Japanese movement, no chronos. One is sticks, like shown here, the other iced out.

Edited by mag1119

You are most welcome.

Like the Colamariner (rep)

rolex-replica-submariner-8.jpg

(I am NOT recommending Replicahause, I am just borrowing the photo for illustration purposes)

I think these 'fantasy' watches are an acquired taste. But it would not surprise me to see Rolex produce something like the PVD Daytona if they can figure out a way to harden the finish to make it less pervious to scratches (PVD is known to scratch relatively easily, which reveals the substrate below).

Hopefully soon they will build a properly jewelled sec@6 similar to the new sec@3 movement.. when this happens I wil consider another Daytona... but I strongly urge all members to avoid the current CRAP sec@6. Trust me i learned the hard way.