When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tortured...

sanro

I can't make up my mind. I would love to get me an IWC CD but I can only find it "Asian" for a reasonable price... However, having gotten recently a SuperOcean with the ETA movement and being sooo delighted about its overall quality I feel that settling for the Asian CD would not be good enough...

I have read in this forum quite a few negative reports about the A7750 and that just blocks me from daring... However, I can only seem to find the swiss CD for over 1k! The price difference does not seem reasonable at all just for the movement, does it?

Should I trust the quality of the Asian? :huh:

Or, better yet, anyone knows a source for a reasonably priced swiss one? :rolleyes:

The price difference between the Asian and ETA 7750 chrono movements is much greater than between the Asian non-chronos and the ETA 2824s etc. That said the new high beat Asian 7750 is supposed to be much better than the old one. To add further complications doing a movement swap later to a Swiss 7750 from a Asian is harder with the new highbeat because appearently the hands won't fit on the ETA.

You'll be fine with the A7750. Negative reports are from the old slow beat version, but even then there are lots of people who never had a problem with it (I have the super avenger and it keeps perfect time after over a year). The "guys" sell the swiss version for over $1000 - not worth it for a rep, in my opinion.

If I remember The Zigmeister's review of the new A7750 @ 28,800, he said it is remarkably better than the older versions. Once it's cleaned and oiled properly (~$200) it should be as reliable and accurate as the Swiss model. Even w/o the service it seems to be quite sturdy.

My SMP chrono w/ the A7750 is running fine after 8 months. I dropped it and the min hand came loose but the movement is still running fine (as judged by the chrono operation and sec/hour hand keeping proper time). Hopefully, The Zigmeister can get to it soon.

Good luck and have fun!

Jeff

the A7750 28800 is by Ziggy's review the best movement out at the moment... the problem is the fact that it could run much better with proper servicing .. the old 7750 was and is very tempermental.. sometimes takes running for a week before it starts to be accurate.. takes time to break in..

the cousteau .. a few things to be aware of, the day date does not alway's align properly.. make sure you alway's set the hands at 5:30 before setting the day date.. the bezel does not have the exact amount of clicks .. but half a turn will line it up perfectly .. same with the older model .. i plan to send both of mine to ziggy when the opportunity arises .. i am happy with the IWC cousteau and will be that much more once ziggy gets his hands on them . (the day date is by his standards an easy fix)

these watches with the A7750 all need to be serviced anyway if you want them to perform "exellent" .. but out of the box much,much better than the 7750

Well, thanks for the advice guys... I think I am dropping the CD from my wish list. I live in Spain, so I have no The Zigmeister around and if I drop the watch I would still want it to run properly. :rolleyes: What I do not understand is why so many people call the CD a super-rep when it seems to have so many flaws... A super-rep, from what I have experienced so far, is the SFSO: I can drop it, swim with it, anything!

Which other "real" sporty super-rep could i rely on as much as on the SFSO???