When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Size Does Matter

sssurfer

I was reading a funny book on non-verbal communication, "The Definitive Book of Body Language", by Allan & Barbara Pease.

On the end of chap. 16 they say:

(I hope to translate exactly enough, it's an English translation of an Italian translation of an English book...)

Large sized watches-chronographs make look taller.

The smaller the size of the watch that one wears, the lesser the image of authority that one is conveying.

So, you all PAM-skepticals out there, you got your answer now. :D

Just on a completely different note Allan Pease travels the world giving lectures and one of his hobbies is collecting jokes, everytime he hears a good one thats new to him he writes it down one a piece of paper.

The outcome of this is he has released a few very large books of these collections and believe me they are the best joke books money can buy.

Ken

Large sized watches-chronographs make look taller.

The smaller the size of the watch that one wears, the lesser the image of authority that one is conveying.

I know that wearing clothes with horizontal or vertical stripes can make you seem taller/shorter or thinner/fatter, but I doubt that a larger watch will make you seem taller. If anything, wearing a huge watch makes you seem smaller than you are, almost like a kid who wears daddy's watch.

If you are overweight, a larger watch worn loosely may make you look a little less heavy, but that probably has very little overall affect.

Not sure what a complicated looking, chronograph watch does. I've only seen one person wearing an authentic huge Breitling and it actually seemed appropriate on him as he was probably about 6'4" or 6'5". Many people wear quartz watches will all sorts of features, and I've never gotten the impression that they're taller as a result of that. However, I have gotten the impression that people are probably shorter/smaller than they are when they're wearing excessively thick watches.

Folks, I am skeptic too about the height issue, I was just quoting from the book.

In case I made a bad translation, here is the 'original' Italian version. If there is any bi-lingual member here, pls feel free to give your contribution.

orologi-cronografi di grandi dimensioni fanno apparire più alti.

The Authors wrote several books on the matter, and they are quite universally recognized and appreciated as good experts, IMO.

Back in the mid '60's when I was in the Navy, the "bar gal's" in Hong Kong used to say: "I can always tell a Navy pilot without asking...."Beeg watchy....tiny "pee-pee"...

Perhaps that's why I feel so comfy wearing my 44mm Panny???... :group:

Folks, I am skeptic too about the height issue, I was just quoting from the book.

In case I made a bad translation, here is the 'original' Italian version. If there is any bi-lingual member here, pls feel free to give your contribution.

orologi-cronografi di grandi dimensioni fanno apparire più alti.

The Authors wrote several books on the matter, and they are quite universally recognized and appreciated as good experts, IMO

Translation...clocks of great dimensions make to appear higher. :blink:

Translation...clocks of great dimensions make to appear higher. :blink:

Uhmmm... I wonder whether that translation is actually better than mine... :blink:

:lol: