When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A pinned list of modders with their location

Viennawatch

Well either I'm just bloody stupid and have just not picked it up or there really isn't a defined list of who mods and exactly where from. It really could be that I have just been lost in this vast forum of information upon information upon, etc.... You get the point.

I think this would be a good idea for newbs, veterans with bad memory, or members like me who have disappeared for a long time and come back after half a year and are totally and utterly confused. Sure, we go through the entire forum and often get a general idea of who mods and exactly where. For example, Finepics does luming in the UK, The Zigmeister does pretty much everything in Canada, etc...

If we had this list pinned in a certain section, (For example, watch upgrades and repairs) fools like me wouldn't keep asking the same questions over and over again.

I don't know... sound like a good idea?

Now the only question is... who's willing to undertake this assignment? :p

Regards,

VW

Regards,

VW

Sounds like a job for a Wiki, that way modders can update their information when/if things change. I wouldn't suggest listing any prices there, just the services provided and the country the modder is in. Maybe contact info too, but you can always PM.

Well either I'm just bloody stupid and have just not picked it up or there really isn't a defined list of who mods and exactly where from. It really could be that I have just been lost in this vast forum of information upon information upon, etc.... You get the point.

I think this would be a good idea for newbs, veterans with bad memory, or members like me who have disappeared for a long time and come back after half a year and are totally and utterly confused. Sure, we go through the entire forum and often get a general idea of who mods and exactly where. For example, Finepics does luming in the UK, The Zigmeister does pretty much everything in Canada, etc...

If we had this list pinned in a certain section, (For example, watch upgrades and repairs) fools like me wouldn't keep asking the same questions over and over again.

I don't know... sound like a good idea?

Regards,

VW

I think The Zigmeister is the only man for the job at the moment,

finepics and palpatine are AWOL.

i seem to remember that there is a guy in the eu who is doind reluming and waterproofing, but i have to look up his name,

i think repaustria takes on some select work, but could be wrong.

good luck with the list, would be very useful

@smilingbear

Definitely no pricing. That would be totally up to the modder and the customer as per PM or emailing. Just the name with the different services offered, for example which movements serviced, etc... And location as in just country. Exact contact details and address would only be given to the customer at the time of service requirements..

@steppen

Only The Zigmeister, eh?? Darn... I just had this 'feeling' there were a few more... We REALLY need more modders... especially in the EU... :'(

Edited by Viennawatch

might me something interesting for the VIP section.. All info and participation would be up to the individual modder of course.. I kinda like how in RWI they have diff little sections for each modder to post his abilities with pics and writeups.

I think The Zigmeister is the only man for the job at the moment,

finepics and palpatine are AWOL.

i seem to remember that there is a guy in the eu who is doind reluming and waterproofing, but i have to look up his name,

i think repaustria takes on some select work, but could be wrong.

good luck with the list, would be very useful

yep...there are two of them as far as i know...navigater (belgium) and fleed (spain)...

A big "danger Will Robinson" on this concept; over thousands of posts on multiple forums folk have been unable to agree which modders know their arse from their elbows. My suspicion is that they're unlikely to start agreeing now. To this day, Big Red Joe has his cheerleaders on other forums, yet he is banned here. Go figure.

I do avidly encourage people to try the TZ course or whatever, try to learn some skills, practice on their own watches, and in time learn to help their mates out - for which they will earn eternal gratitude. And it's a hobby, you get out in satisfaction what you put in.

I am suspicious of folk that start charging hundreds of bucks five minutes after opening their first caseback. Modding seems to attract more than it's fair share of snake oil salesmen, self-promotion and shill reviews.

Caveat Emptor - Buyer Beware.

A big "danger Will Robinson" on this concept; over thousands of posts on multiple forums folk have been unable to agree which modders know their [censored] from their elbows. My suspicion is that they're unlikely to start agreeing now. To this day, Big Red Joe has his cheerleaders on other forums, yet he is banned here. Go figure.

I do avidly encourage people to try the TZ course or whatever, try to learn some skills, practice on their own watches, and in time learn to help their mates out - for which they will earn eternal gratitude. And it's a hobby, you get out in satisfaction what you put in.

I am suspicious of folk that start charging hundreds of bucks five minutes after opening their first caseback. Modding seems to attract more than it's fair share of snake oil salesmen, self-promotion and shill reviews.

Could not agree more, best thing would be to learn things yourself. Plenty of info and helpful members to get you through a hefty job. My only 2 close encounters with so-called modders both ended in dissapointment; 500+ euros for a damaged glued together watch, the other case i was merely asking a question and get overly priced quotes in reply... guess who?

A big "danger Will Robinson" on this concept; over thousands of posts on multiple forums folk have been unable to agree which modders know their [censored] from their elbows. My suspicion is that they're unlikely to start agreeing now. To this day, Big Red Joe has his cheerleaders on other forums, yet he is banned here. Go figure.

The issues here are time and funds.

True, modding may be expensive, but it may be costlier to actually have to buy all the equipment and a few watches so you can see if you were really gifted with dexterity and patience. And not to mention getting it wrong a few times and messing up your own watch, etc., that again would cost a heap. Yes indeed, long term costs may not be as much, but then again, I only have two or three reps. So going all handicraft on my watches is not something I'd dare do. There are some trusted modders, I'd gladly shell out out a few bucks for. The Zigmeister for example, bless him. A shame I don't live in his vicinity or in a customs problem free country cause I'd be paying for his services right away. There is or should I rather say WAS Palpatine. I had my Sub (which is most definitely not up to standard anymore with all those noobmariners) and PAM 183 modded with him, he did a great job as well and was always on time and honest with me.

Additionally, some people like me, just can't the find time to sit down and mod. I tend to be very active and can't stay seated for a longer period of time, especially for something that requires as much patience as modding. I'd go nuts. Either thats just my tough luck or its common amongst many people.

Fact is we will always have/need modders, we will always have people willing to spend money on them and we will always have scammers trying to pretend they are modders. All we need to do is keep our eyes open.

P.S. I hate to bring this subject up, may be bad memory for some, but why did Big Red Joe get banned? I think that happened in the period that I was absent from RWG.

Regards,

VW

Well said.

There is something to be said when new modders charge twice what experienced modders do, for the same work. Normally when someone first hangs out a shingle offering services, they realize that they are new, still learning, and would be expected to charge less than the fellow down the street who has been at the same work for years, and has developed the skills and experience that only comes with time. Price does not always indicate quality...especially when mods are concerned.

Modding seems to have attracted it's share of bad apples over the years, money speaks louder than integrity to many folks, a real shame that this is the case.

RG

The issues here are time and funds.

True, modding may be expensive, but it may be costlier to actually have to buy all the equipment and a few watches so you can see if you were really gifted with dexterity and patience. And not to mention getting it wrong a few times and messing up your own watch, etc., that again would cost a heap. Yes indeed, long term costs may not be as much, but then again, I only have two or three reps. So going all handicraft on my watches is not something I'd dare do. There are some trusted modders, I'd gladly shell out out a few bucks for. The Zigmeister for example, bless him. A shame I don't live in his vicinity or in a customs problem free country cause I'd be paying for his services right away. There is or should I rather say WAS Palpatine. I had my Sub (which is most definitely not up to standard anymore with all those noobmariners) and PAM 183 modded with him, he did a great job as well and was always on time and honest with me.

Additionally, some people like me, just can't the find time to sit down and mod. I tend to be very active and can't stay seated for a longer period of time, especially for something that requires as much patience as modding. I'd go nuts. Either thats just my tough luck or its common amongst many people.

Fact is we will always have/need modders, we will always have people willing to spend money on them and we will always have scammers trying to pretend they are modders. All we need to do is keep our eyes open.

P.S. I hate to bring this subject up, may be bad memory for some, but why did Big Red Joe get banned? I think that happened in the period that I was absent from RWG.

Regards,

VW

You have some good points, in regard to The Zigmeister, i don't consider him a modder, but a watch-smith and sooner and later our watches need service.

I guess you are right that there is always a demand for modders. Maybe a list of 'proven' (correctly planned/priced/communicative) modders could be off use. But it does not guarantee things always workout... take finepics for instance, i think he is no scammer, but things didn't go flawless...

@Viennawatch -

what do you need ? i have a good watchsmith on hand -

i also do some modding 4fun.

you only have to provide the parts if gen ...

send me a pm if you interested.

Frank

@Viennawatch -

what do you need ? i have a good watchsmith on hand -

i also do some modding 4fun.

you only have to provide the parts if gen ...

send me a pm if you interested.

Frank

Haha see the 4fun part doesn't sound so convincing... ;)

Where you located? EU? As for now I don't need much, well nothing really, but in the event that I do order another watch and can obtain gen parts... I'd be happy to.

PS.. how much does your watchsmith charge for servicing... say a Sub... you can pm me.