When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Beware: A New Addiction

XRT

Is shaving a ritual for you? Do you hate it or is it a Zen thing you do every morning before work...do you WET SHAVE???

Once you start using a DE razor, a silvertip badger hair brush and a quality shave cream you will never be the same.

I just got into this new world...and like watches, it has become a new obsession (like I needed another one). :o

Check out this forum: Badger and Blade forum

Check out these videos on YouTube: Wet Shaving Video Guides

Beware...don't say I didn't warn you.

I've gone from dry electric shavers-->wet electrics (still buying the latest and "greatest" each year)-->Mach 3-->Fusion------->then...I found this forum and these videos...ugh--->now I have a Merkur 38c HD DE, a $100 shaving brush and lots of creams and pre/post shave creams/splashes, etc.

I went from spending 5 minutes shaving a few years ago to now about 20-25mins. Oh, the madness. :huh:

Disposable cartridge razors, aerosolized shaving gels/creams from a can and electrics are what the "wet shaving" crowd are castagating. These guys are as much OCD about their shaving as many of us are about our reps.

After no time at all you will be using abbreviations like "BBS", "XTG", "ATG", "DE" etc...

I'm telling you...if you aren't already hooked in to the world of double edge safety razor or straight razor shaving (with the requisite brushes and creams and tonics) you will if you try it. B)

...I'm thinking of changing my avatar to the "American Psycho" (movie reference) :lol

Craytonic wrote- "I buy the latest/greatest braun each year and then go back over it with the 4-blade razor to get what it misses (dry). Seems to work well..."

Have you tried the new Braun Pulsonic...I own it and it is very cool. Beats my Panasonic linear- hands down. (but please don't tell on me to the Wet Shaving crowd) :lol:

• 3 years later...

Thought I might resurrect this little chestnut as it's a new fascination of mine.

I've been looking at getting back into wet shaving after a 10 year foray into trimming with a hairdressing edger. Recently I shaved with a brand new Mach 3 and MY GOD have cartridge razors changed. The finish was superb, with minimal irritation.

I've been looking at getting into a straight razor and the Dovo Shavette came up as a possibility, owing to it's interchangeable blades. Does anyone know of these or recommend an alternative? I'd like to see if it suits me before I splurge on a quality straight razor, and stropping leather etc.

I know the red, green and black inserts take different blade types (double edge, longer style sigle edge and FROMM type), but not sure as a beginner which direction to go.

The Feather Artist Club is another possibility

Any experiences with either of these, along with thoughts, would be appreciated. I'm sure that there are fellow members interested in such things :)

A little hint of my own, i've found you can get that hot/cold towel experience at home! It's really easy, I just took a hand towel and wet it, then nukes it for a few minutes and threw it on the face. Worked a treat. Did the same with a towel in the fridge and didn't get a single eash on the sensitive parts of my face. The hot/cold towels work an absolute treat, trust me :)

Is shaving a ritual for you? Do you hate it or is it a Zen thing you do every morning before work...do you WET SHAVE???

Once you start using a DE razor, a silvertip badger hair brush and a quality shave cream you will never be the same.

I just got into this new world...and like watches, it has become a new obsession (like I needed another one). ohmy.gif

Check out this forum: Badger and Blade forum

Check out these videos on YouTube: Wet Shaving Video Guides

Beware...don't say I didn't warn you.

I've gone from dry electric shavers-->wet electrics (still buying the latest and "greatest" each year)-->Mach 3-->Fusion------->then...I found this forum and these videos...ugh--->now I have a Merkur 38c HD DE, a $100 shaving brush and lots of creams and pre/post shave creams/splashes, etc.

I went from spending 5 minutes shaving a few years ago to now about 20-25mins. Oh, the madness. huh.gif

haha, i went to the shaving forum to have a look, and i thought: "why the heck are these weirdos have a forum about shaving???" and then i realized that 80percent of the rest of humanity thinks probably the same thing about us......;)

anyway, i discovered the luxury of going to a barber shop once a month or sth....it isn't that expensive, and i swear, when you're with a real pro, you won't shave alone EVER again, or trim your beard.....

This is an incredible feeling!