When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So many different models of Planet Ocean, who to buy from?

agepag

So a couple of weeks ago I foung a watch in the jewlery store, The planet ocean 45mm chrono, s/s strap with orange bezel. To my suprise if saw the make some very good reps! The only problem is I have been on all the web-sites that were recomened and the price vary, alot! Now I know that there are different versions and different quality levels, but now I am cjust confused, because some dealers that I emailed are telling me that there watch is just as goos as the competitors, just they aren't charging as much! I see that Andrew and Josh have a nice version for $268 and to be hnoest they look like the best quality, but I was on pam111 and there watch regular price is $349 on sale for $229. My question is are these the same watch, Silik has his for $178. So what do you guys think! Where should I buy!!!

THanks

P.S. I have read By-Tor's review and found it very helpful, however I still would like to find out where people are buying there PO chrono from and if they are happy!

Edited by agepag

I'm a newbie as well, so don't just go with what I say, but if you read the specs in the description for each watch at the dealers web sites, you'd notice all sort of differences - different movements, different straps, and some have AR coating on the Sapphire crystal and some don't. Sometimes the reps are closer to the original, and sometimes they have specific flaws. You'd see references to 4th and 5th generation on the POs since the newer ones have corrected some older flaws.

Also, reading all the posts you notice some dealers provide much better support in case you have any issues with the watch you receive - the good support alone may be worth the additional cost.

Good luck.

My question is are these the same watch, Silik has his for $178. So what do you guys think! Where should I buy!!!

Yes, the $150 Silix rep

omes039-1.jpg

is very similar to Trusty's $268 version

OMG0063C.JPG

Slight differences include :

- no keyline around orange triangle

- differently shapes markers at 3,6,9 and 12

I would save some cash and go with the Silix version.

Edited by andreww

@agepag

As you are rather new to the forum... I'm curious to whether you know what an Asian 7750 is and whether you think they are reliable or not?

Many members will give you different opinions of course, but there is one answer the 7750 tends to sway towards more... You can figure it out by reading the forums as well if you'd like... but I will give you the answer if you don't know it, if you ask kindly! :)

How about the crystal and AR coating from Silix ? I was thinking of getting a 42mm PO ETA from them, but I dont know if I would regret it.

Some people were saying the ETA versions are much better in overall quality compared to the Asian 7750 - its not just the movement inside that differs.

Edited by kenmasters

Wow, thanks for the feedback, so far I have found this watch at the low end from Silik, pam111, trevor and of course Josh and Andrew. The specs on the watches seem to be very similar, if not identical. One thing I do notice is the different shaped markers and the crooked 3. They all have the asia 7750 movment so now its just a question of who to buy from. I would live to see some example pics from members and where they bought from.

How about the crystal and AR coating from Silix ? I was thinking of getting a 42mm PO ETA from them, but I dont know if I would regret it.

Some people were saying the ETA versions are much better in overall quality compared to the Asian 7750 - its not just the movement inside that differs.

Well yes you ARE right, the movement is not the only difference, but are you willing to spend an extra 200 to 300 bucks for an ETA movement? Or are you willing to live with the fact that your A 7750 could go haywire in well anytime really. It could stop working within two weeks after you purchase it or it could last a few months to a year or more. You never know... Its like a Kinder Chocolate Egg surprise, you never know what you get. lol

In the end its your choice of course and many have purchased watches with A7750 and are happy with them, but then again there are many people you sadly don't hear from anymore because they purchased from an RWG based dealer, their A7750 stopped working and they filed a dispute against the dealer on paypal or made a big fuss about it on RWG....

You getting my drift? As long as you know what you are in for, its fine...

Being a little overprotective here... sorry...

Regards,

VW

Personally, I'd say go on CQout and buy the one you feel has the best look for the best price :lol:

At the end of the day, all reps have flaws, regardless of who they're purchassed from, as afterall, they are replicas, not 'discounted gens'. The key to finding the right balance, is to consider what flaws would bother you the most. Are there any flaws which you actually prefer over the gen detail? (for example, I don't like how the 2220.80 SMP has a metal logo and Omega lettering, I think it makes the watch 'look fake', so I bought a rep with the lettering and logo printed. Sure, it's a flaw, but it's one I like ) Also, consider how important 100% actually is for you. Are you going to be telling friends, family and co-workers that you scored big down the dog track and try and pass it off as genuine, or are you just buying it as it's a bad-ass watch and you like how it looks? Please remember, that the people who make up watch forums, and who can spot flaws at a glance on photos, make up something like 0.01% of the general population. Sure, a watch might get thoroughly ripped on here, but, in the everyday world, the majority of people likely wouldn't even notice you were wearing a watch, let alone know the difference between a rep or a gen. Lastly, if you plan on passing it off as a gen, then you always run the risk of someone calling you out on it, and, if they actually know what they're talking about, in a social setting like a party or bar, that could be pretty embarassing... If you want 100% accuracy, either a) buy a gen, or b ) buy the most accurate you can find, and then start modifying it and swapping parts round. If you're not too bothered about accuracy, then pic the flaws you can live with, and just buy the watch which falls into that catagory at the best price :)

Best of luck with your purchase :)

Edited by TeeJay

So according to TJ, its up to you what you like or not. But being a first-time PO buyer, I guess we want to make sure we're getting something that is half decent, especially if there is a major price difference.

IMO, the best rep would be the one that resembles the gen as closely as possible. So it doesn't matter if it has metallic fonts or the hand is slightly shorter. As long as its true to the gen, that's the rep I want.

Anyone purchased a 42mm PO and was very satisfied with Silix or others ??

If the watch came with the swiss movment I would buy it, but all the dealers only have 7750 asia movement of worse. I don't think they make the PO 45mm CHRONO with swiss movement....

Problem is, this watch does not take a swiss 7750 ($300), but would need a 7753 ($600). At the end of the day you would be looking at a $1000 rep with a host of flaws.

My advice would be to go with the Silix version. This watch will always have obvious flaws, so there is no sense in nitpicking. The Silix version is pretty close to the other versions at a fraction of the price.

Problem is, this watch does not take a swiss 7750 ($300), but would need a 7753 ($600). At the end of the day you would be looking at a $1000 rep with a host of flaws.

The Asian 7750 basterdized to be a 7753 (like this one is) won't accept a ETA 7753 in it's place. The datewheels aren't the same size, or in the same location.

No option on this model but to go with the Asian movement, unless they make a ETA 7753 dial.

RG

Personally, I'd say go on CQout and buy the one you feel has the best look for the best price :lol:

At the end of the day, all reps have flaws, regardless of who they're purchassed from, as afterall, they are replicas, not 'discounted gens'. The key to finding the right balance, is to consider what flaws would bother you the most. Are there any flaws which you actually prefer over the gen detail? (for example, I don't like how the 2220.80 SMP has a metal logo and Omega lettering, I think it makes the watch 'look fake', so I bought a rep with the lettering and logo printed. Sure, it's a flaw, but it's one I like ) Also, consider how important 100% actually is for you. Are you going to be telling friends, family and co-workers that you scored big down the dog track and try and pass it off as genuine, or are you just buying it as it's a bad-ass watch and you like how it looks? Please remember, that the people who make up watch forums, and who can spot flaws at a glance on photos, make up something like 0.01% of the general population. Sure, a watch might get thoroughly ripped on here, but, in the everyday world, the majority of people likely wouldn't even notice you were wearing a watch, let alone know the difference between a rep or a gen. Lastly, if you plan on passing it off as a gen, then you always run the risk of someone calling you out on it, and, if they actually know what they're talking about, in a social setting like a party or bar, that could be pretty embarassing... If you want 100% accuracy, either a) buy a gen, or b ) buy the most accurate you can find, and then start modifying it and swapping parts round. If you're not too bothered about accuracy, then pic the flaws you can live with, and just buy the watch which falls into that catagory at the best price :)

Best of luck with your purchase :)

So according to TJ, its up to you what you like or not. But being a first-time PO buyer, I guess we want to make sure we're getting something that is half decent, especially if there is a major price difference.

IMO, the best rep would be the one that resembles the gen as closely as possible. So it doesn't matter if it has metallic fonts or the hand is slightly shorter. As long as its true to the gen, that's the rep I want.

Anyone purchased a 42mm PO and was very satisfied with Silix or others ??

Is it not up to the person to buy what they want, rather than what others think is best? There are sources outside of this forum's 'recommended collectors'...

As I clearly said, it depends what level of accuracy a person requires, how they intend to pass the watch off to others, and what flaws they find acceptable. The Planet Ocean I got on CQout might not be perfect (I've been told it's a 4th gen 45mm), but it looks good enough for my purposes, and cost half what the 'recommended collectors' are charging, so that's good enough for me. Could it be improved? Of course it could, but that's not the point of this thread. Someone asked which version to buy, and ultimately, that decision is up to them, based on which watch best suits their requirements. It depends if they want to spend a load on a more accurate rep, or if they'd be satisfied with a less accurate version. As I pointed out, the vast majority of viewing people in the real world are not going to even realize what watch it is, let alone that it has a wonky logo or the wrong strap...

[Edit to add]

And re: Silix, I am not impressed with their service. I've been waiting since the end of August for them to ship the correct dial for my vintage Submariner and the extra jubilee bracelet which I paid for when I made the order (which they got wrong) a few weeks prior to that.

Edited by TeeJay

I agree with TJ, most people don't know anything about watches and don't care which one you are wearing, and of course they would never notice these small flaws that we like so much to discuss (incorrect logos, screws instead of pins, long or short hands etc.), and they don't have any clue of what is "wrong" and what is "correct". Some friends of mine who wear gen (Rolex, Pam, breitling) watches don't seem to care at all what I am wearing even if I change my watch everyday. I think most "average" people even don't care about the watch THEY are wearing. So I think we look for all these details in reps mostly for our own fun because we enjoy it (really as a hobby) , and not so much for other people, which most of them will not see the difference between a gen and a rep, anyhow.

I agree with TJ, most people don't know anything about watches and don't care which one you are wearing, and of course they would never notice these small flaws that we like so much to discuss (incorrect logos, screws instead of pins, long or short hands etc.), and they don't have any clue of what is "wrong" and what is "correct". Some friends of mine who wear gen (Rolex, Pam, breitling) watches don't seem to care at all what I am wearing even if I change my watch everyday. I think most "average" people even don't care about the watch THEY are wearing. So I think we look for all these details in reps mostly for our own fun because we enjoy it (really as a hobby) , and not so much for other people, which most of them will not see the difference between a gen and a rep, anyhow.

I think you're absolutley right there, most people don't know anything about watches. That's why I feel, that if the majority of the people aren't going to really notice or care about a watch, unless someone really wants to try and pass their watch off as genuine (but again, as the people wouldn't know the difference, what's the point... :lol: ) what's the point in paying the price for the premium reps. I agree with Ken's point that if someone wants the watch to be accurate to gen for their own personal enjoyment, then fair enough, buy the more accurate watches, but, if they just want something that 'looks about right' and gives them a chuckle, why not go for an acceptable less accurate rep... :)

TeeJay,

You are 100% right about the reasons one buys a watch, and those rules apply to gens and reps. It all finally boils down to what is desired, acceptable, and affordable - and not necessarily in that order. I have wrestled with purchases of several different watches and finally settled on which watch from which dealer with exactly those parameters in mind. In some watches I want as close to 1:1 with a gen as I can get, again for varying reasons (where I am going to wear this watch, or what I may be doing functionally with it), other watches I want just as collectors' pieces or because I like the way they look; flaws and all; - heck, as was stated, some of the "flaws" I either like, or sometimes prefer. Often, known flaws are an indicator of the style, quality or version of a given rep. I guess the heart of this matter boils down to one's reason(s) for having this hobby, we all have our own. To sum up, the reason you buy any particular watch should be your own, and to satisfy any desire the buyer has. Oh, before I forget, I think the percentage of people who know even the slightest about watches as we do, or care, is probably closer to .000001 - AD's, jewelers, and collectors included. If you take into account that there are say, one hundred thousand knowledgable folks on these forums (and there isn't) and yearly estimates of 600K- 1M gens in a particular popular brand or two sold as well as an estimated 10 million rep Rolexes (alone) on the market, add it up over a say 5-10 year period and you have a great number of watches sold to and worn by people who aren't as scrutinizing as we are. So, TeeJay and others who point out that no one really notices or cares is correct. However, if you are trying to pass your rep OFF as gen (tacky, tacky) - especially in the wrong circles, you are increasing your chances for a call out. Even more so if you are wearing a cheaper made rep to boot, but again, to each their own. I enjoy my watches for what they are, their looks, function and feel, as I am sure the majority of us do. Enjoy, and happy hobbying.

TeeJay,

You are 100% right about the reasons one buys a watch, and those rules apply to gens and reps. It all finally boils down to what is desired, acceptable, and affordable - and not necessarily in that order. I have wrestled with purchases of several different watches and finally settled on which watch from which dealer with exactly those parameters in mind. In some watches I want as close to 1:1 with a gen as I can get, again for varying reasons (where I am going to wear this watch, or what I may be doing functionally with it), other watches I want just as collectors' pieces or because I like the way they look; flaws and all; - heck, as was stated, some of the "flaws" I either like, or sometimes prefer. Often, known flaws are an indicator of the style, quality or version of a given rep. I guess the heart of this matter boils down to one's reason(s) for having this hobby, we all have our own. To sum up, the reason you buy any particular watch should be your own, and to satisfy any desire the buyer has. Oh, before I forget, I think the percentage of people who know even the slightest about watches as we do, or care, is probably closer to .000001 - AD's, jewelers, and collectors included. If you take into account that there are say, one hundred thousand knowledgable folks on these forums (and there isn't) and yearly estimates of 600K- 1M gens in a particular popular brand or two sold as well as an estimated 10 million rep Rolexes (alone) on the market, add it up over a say 5-10 year period and you have a great number of watches sold to and worn by people who aren't as scrutinizing as we are. So, TeeJay and others who point out that no one really notices or cares is correct. However, if you are trying to pass your rep OFF as gen (tacky, tacky) - especially in the wrong circles, you are increasing your chances for a call out. Even more so if you are wearing a cheaper made rep to boot, but again, to each their own. I enjoy my watches for what they are, their looks, function and feel, as I am sure the majority of us do. Enjoy, and happy hobbying.

Thanks, I'm glad you agree, and you're absolutely right about trying to pass off a rep in the wrong (or in watch terms, the right) circles is probably the quickest way to get called out. One of the guidelines I once read, admitedly, applies more to business environments, but, should also be considered in a more casual setting, was that the person tended to wear a rep of a watch which would be either within their pay grade, or slightly above (ie a treat with a bonus or win on the dogs) as that was the safest level to play at without arousing suspicioun. Indeed, most people don't care, all the time the watch doesn't stand out. But, get someone wearing a Rose Gold HBB while serving up fries, and that's going to raise some eyebrows. Same rules for social settings. If friends know how much someone earns, and knows anything about watches, they're going to be able to notice when someone wears a watch to a barbeque that should be way out of their league. As with all things, cars, watches, women, you must know your league and punch your weight. Of course, what someone wears in the privacy of their own home or out in public, is up to them, but if it's a 'social setting', it's best to be believeable, as, although that's not really passing the watch off as anything it's not, neither is it drawing unwelcome attention to it :)