When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Visa vs Mastercard

dadog13

I am so NOT in the credit cards...but I decided to get one for myself...my bank offered me to pick between the two, VISA or MASTERCARD (I can take both of them - but that would be a shock for me since until now I didn't have neither one!)...

I suppose there is not any difference between the two (or maybe there is?!)...

Can somebody advise me which one to get?

tnx in advance

VISA = Coke

MASTERCARD = Pepsi

I have Visa.

that's very helpful...since i am coke dependent...I'll opt Visa 4 sure... :lol:

never liked pepsi...but that's probably because the pepsi here in Croatia sucks...it is totally different for example from the italian Pepsi (i lived there for 5 years, so I know what I am speaking about)...haven't tried it in other countries, because I mainly order Coke...only if they don't have it I go Pepsi

I drink min. 2 liter of Coca Cola per day... :p

I came across some forum where this question was discussed...seems that US citizens prefer the Visa, even if the mastercard is almost al pari with the Visa...there is NO BIG difference...

I dunno if the same situation is found in Eu...

Check the perks you get with each and look for a Gold or Platinum upgrade: cashback; airmiles; travel insurance; medical repatriation; purchase insurance; life insurance; auto rental (collision & theft) insurance; air ticket annulation insurance; rep watch customs confiscation insurance and free Jetmid decoder ring & tango lessons... :D

VISA = MASTERCARD....Pretty much anywere that accepts Visa, will generally also accept Mastercard...Personally I prefer an AMEX...Paying a $400 annual fee for a Platinum AMEX no limit card is the way to go IMO...Its well worth the $400/year fee, they have a great concierge service that you can use world wide...Last time I was in Mexico, in the Mayan Riviera I called their concierge service to find me a helicopter ride and they called back within 10 minutes telling me were to go and how much it is, it was a great experience!

VISA = MASTERCARD....Pretty much anywere that accepts Visa, will generally also accept Mastercard...Personally I prefer an AMEX...Paying a $400 annual fee for a Platinum AMEX no limit card is the way to go IMO...Its well worth the $400/year fee, they have a great concierge service that you can use world wide...Last time I was in Mexico, in the Mayan Riviera I called their concierge service to find me a helicopter ride and they called back within 10 minutes telling me were to go and how much it is, it was a great experience!

I used to LIVE in the lobby of the AmEx L'Opera branch in Paris.

"Bonjour Mademoiselle Barrette!", the front desk would wave as I scurried nervously awaiting my latest Money Transfer, without which I would live on baguettes, goatcheese and tomatoes for another day. Oh happy gap year...

Anyway, sorry, I meant this to be a nice testimonial for American Express, because their service is PHENOMENAL. Anywhere you go, you get treated at least half-way decently, they're located in safe places, and you can have your post forwarded to you at any branch in the world.

Unfortunately, you have to pay your balance every month, so it's not for everyone.

America was built on credit, but American Express wasn't. :)

Yup!Thats a funny story vb, but you're totally right, American express and their customer service really does rock...Pretty much anywere in the world, you can call them and ask for just about anything and they'll be more then happy to do it! It's really handy for vacations...Well worth the annual fee IMO~

Edited by UB7

VISA = MASTERCARD....Pretty much anywere that accepts Visa, will generally also accept Mastercard...Personally I prefer an AMEX...Paying a $400 annual fee for a Platinum AMEX no limit card is the way to go IMO...Its well worth the $400/year fee, they have a great concierge service that you can use world wide...

Except you can't use the bloody card worldwide at a large and exponentially increasing amount of places. Amex is almost a pariah in a lot of places outside of the good ol' US. I don't know why, maybe their B2B admin/transaction charges? Who knows. Even the trusty Amex corporate card is a rare sight these days amongst Europeans.

As for concierge, well my own card comes with a worldwide 24/7 concierge service that has proven more than upto even the most obscure, strange or impossible request I've chucked at it. Serious contacts, like a true concierge rather than some person on the end of the phone with access to the internet. As Ry says the usual insurance, repatriation, warranty etc. goodies and all this for a massive and exhorbitant FEE of

Except you can't use the bloody card worldwide at a large and exponentially increasing amount of places. Amex is almost a pariah in a lot of places outside of the good ol' US. I don't know why, maybe their B2B admin/transaction charges? Who knows. Even the trusty Amex corporate card is a rare sight these days amongst Europeans.

Exactly - and even in the US they are disliked by businesses; a lot of businesses don't take it (or avoid taking it where possible) because they charge vendors so much more than VISA/Mastercard. So while the service may be better from Amex, the service from places you want to try to spend it won't be quite so flash. If you look carefully, the waiter just spat in your after-dinner coffee :p

I have 4 baseball cards, 6 football cards, 1 curling, and 1 shuffleboard. No American Express. You can leave home just fine without it. Amex are fascists.

I prefer my Chase Visa out of all of them as they give me double miles and a low interest rate. Pick the card that gives you the most in return for your purchases, and if you like to travel, mileage plus cards are the way to go.