When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

"Red" Seamaster Reps Have Arrived

Guest LastDiplomat

Guest LastDiplomat

After some recent exploring on the world wide interweb, I discovered that replicas of the new "Red" Seamaster line have started showing up both in standard SMP and Chrono SMP versions. The big question is whether they're very good reps or not. As you'll see in the following pics, there are still a lot of problems.

newsmp3.jpg

redsmpchrono.jpg

Flaws include slightly too small hour markers (they seem to match the Quartz version of the red SMP), a slightly too large 3 o'clock marker on the 2220.80, also the 3 o'clock marker should be an attachment like the other hour markers but it appears to be painted on, pearl isn't accurate on either but we've all seen worse, HE valve is placed incorrectly on the 2220.80, date wheel on the chrono is pretty bad, the back of the watch is incorrect at least on the 2220.80 model which has a new design, hour marker coloring doesn't look right, bezel may be too dark (it could be the lighting), and the bezel is also misaligned on both (moreso on the Chrono).

Any chance more accurate reps will start making the rounds for this popular line? Is there demand?

After some recent exploring on the world wide interweb, I discovered that replicas of the new "Red" Seamaster line have started showing up both in standard SMP and Chrono SMP versions. The big question is whether they're very good reps or not. As you'll see in the following pics, there are still a lot of problems.

I believe By-Tor mentioned one with a leather band a year back (!).

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=134115

There was a chap who came on here once, whose name I forget, asking for a red Seamaster above something or another, if memory serves. Posted a new photo of the precise one he wanted.

Hope he sees these now, because it could be the closest he'll get so far.

The standard SMP looks fairly decent cheap rep, but where did you find such horrible SMP Chrono? I think I'm going to puke... :lol:

That whole watch is one big flaw... and these have nothing to do with the stuff our dealers can source. It's a faux chrono $20 Canal Street special. I sincerely hope these pics aren't from our dealers.

Guest LastDiplomat

Heh. Thanks for all the replica snobbery, but it's not what I'm after. The unfortunate fact is that the forum's dealers don't have any proper versions of the red SMP line to offer. So anyone interested in these models has to look elsewhere. Maybe it's time they got together to make them available? The gen red SMP has been around since late '06 but quality reps of it have yet to surface.

Edited by LastDiplomat

Heh. Thanks for all the replica snobbery, but it's not what I'm after. The unfortunate fact is that the forum's dealers don't have any proper versions of the red SMP line to offer. So anyone interested in these models has to look elsewhere. Maybe it's time they got together to make them available? The gen red SMP has been around since late '06 but quality reps of it have yet to surface.

I guess at the end of the day it depends what you want and how accurate you want it. I've had a rep 2220.80 for a while and really like it. It does have it's faults though. The logo and brand are printed on (as per the 2531.80) rather than the metal attachments. But. I prefer that detail. I don't like how the attachments look on the gen dial. Ironically, I think the metal attachments, with the letters all joined through the center, makes the real thing 'look fake'. As for the flaw with the 3 marker, mine doesn't even have a 3 marker... A lot of 2531.80s have been emerging sans 3 marker, so this could be a case of rather than simply manufacturing a proper 3 marker for the dials, the factories took the quicker route by luming one directly to the dial as on the 2531.80.

Is it accurate to the gen? No. Does that really matter? Depends who you ask, and how desperate they are to tell people that their watch is genuine. That's not why I buy reps, so I'm not really bothered by inaccuracies in trivial details like that. As long as the print doesn't read Qmega Seameister, I'm happy. As for sources, there are sources other than the forum dealers. CQout is a monitored site, like eBay, so dealers are bound to behave honestly, and those who don't, get removed from the site. Sure, the dealers there might not have access to the "Super Reps", but what they do have, if you're prepared to look for the good deals, is respectable quality, and much cheaper than the forum dealers. Best of luck with your search and purchase :)

Not "snobbery". You post pictures of a $20 Canal Street Special here, with day/date subdials, apparently from some kind of scam site... state in your subject title that "red versions of the SMP have arrived", and start listing the flaws. That watch has clearly nothing to do with our sources, or with the almost perfect 7750 replication of the SMP Chrono (the non-red version) that we already have.

If you took my reply as "snobbery", it's your problem. It wasn't intended as that. I simply corrected the misrepresentation in your subject title, which was misleading.

If they'd replicate the red version, it would be quite easy to upgrade the dial of the existing model, which is almost flawless.

smp_dial2.jpg