When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What the heck is a "monarch polfy"?

anton

So today I was cleaning my watchbox and just out of curiosity, I decided to take a look at the back of my Breitlings and wondered why the HECK they put various measurements there when most likely you won't take your watch off during flight just to look at it?!?

So, I found this:

DSC00333.jpg

MDSCUW? What the heck is MDSCUW? :lol:

It's so close to "Moscow", but maybe that's a new major city I've never heard of!

Oh, and it was SO CLOSE to being perfect; yet so far away.

Let's see your minute watch errors!

I think the same thing when Americans say Moss-Goww (rhyming with Cow) :lol:

I think the same when Brits pronounce Tucson "Tuck-sun". :lol:

Seriously, though, Moss-Goww is bad. Interestingly, I rather like I-rack, and have taken to pronouncing it that way. Yes, I've gone native big time.

I even say rowt for route. :o

I have a feeling this is done on purpose... but these are my favorites:

28.JPG

Yes! I recall you posting that. We surmised they do it on purpose to keep one step ahead of Interpol, or the Swiss Watch muscle. ;)

Also, do you remember your post when you were seeking Joshua's Tourbillon?

281286-62.jpg

I think Stephane pointed out it was written "Quilloche" instead of guilloch

Owmegawd!! you are past the point of no retun Ms V!!! You'ii be saying meor next instead of mirror!

I also now catch myself saying couch instead of sofa, but will never say Warrr-shington, or libery for library. Even I have my limits.

I can hear the accent transition though. It's funny, and yet a little scary. I sound Alabaman! Now I know why British lass Vivien Leigh made a perfect Scarlett O'Hara...

I think the same when Brits pronounce Tucson "Tuck-sun". :lol:

Seriously, though, Moss-Goww is bad. Interestingly, I rather like I-rack, and have taken to pronouncing it that way. Yes, I've gone native big time.

I even say rowt for route. :o

Hee hee :D I've always said "Two-sonn"

Is that pronounced "Eee Rack" or "Eye Rack" Isn't it pronouced "Ih Rark"?

It's funny, I have relatives in HooSton, who moved out about 15 years ago, and while one cousin never lost her British accent (and is now back in the UK) her brother sounds like he should be on King of the Hill :lol: He has the typical jock 'jar-head' 'haircut' (If it could even qualify thus) as well :D

Accent-wise, people have often thought I'm Australian :lol::o

Hee hee :D I've always said "Two-sonn"

Is that pronounced "Eee Rack" or "Eye Rack" Isn't it pronouced "Ih Rark"?

The latter is correct in Arabic. Ih Rak. But I like Eye Rack for the same reason I tease my boyfriend when I call him Eyetalian. :)

It's funny, I have relatives in HooSton,

Oh that took forever for me to stomach. Americans, it's How-stun, okay, not Hyu-stun. Granted, How-stun we have a problem just sounds OFF but still.

Tangential funny anecdote; the eccentric Lady Houston once put up an ENORMOUS poster in Mayfair back in the 1920s, which proclaimed, "F--k you Stanley Baldwin".

LOL. The good ole days.

who moved out about 15 years ago, and while one cousin never lost her British accent (and is now back in the UK) her brother sounds like he should be on King of the Hill :lol: He has the typical jock 'jar-head' 'haircut' (If it could even qualify thus) as well :D

Accent-wise, people have often thought I'm Australian :lol::o

Oh dear. :o How unfortunate. *ducks from Ken!*

:lol:

You know how they hate being confused for poms too, especially East Londoners. ;)

The latter is correct in Arabic. Ih Rak. But I like Eye Rack for the same reason I tease my boyfriend when I call him Eyetalian. :)

Kinda like how Dubya likes nukeyoula weapons :lol:

Oh that took forever for me to stomach. Americans, it's How-stun, okay, not Hyu-stun. Granted, How-stun we have a problem just sounds OFF but still.

"How"? I knew it wasn't Hyu, but I did think it was "Who-st'n"...

Tangential funny anecdote; the eccentric Lady Houston once put up an ENORMOUS poster in Mayfair back in the 1920s, which proclaimed, "F--k you Stanley Baldwin".

LOL. The good ole days.

Awesome, I bet that didn't go down to well in those days :D

Oh dear. :o How unfortunate. *ducks from Ken!*

:lol:

You know how they hate being confused for poms too, especially East Londoners. ;)

Well, I'd rather people thought I was Australian than South African... That has got to be the worst accent ever :D

And you get away with that?!?!?!?

Oh, what he can call me a slimey Limey, but I can't call him Eyetalian! ;)

(At least I don't call him the w-word :lol:)

@TeeJay: Yes, but m'Lady Howstun pronounced it thusly. I'm sure she said huntin', shootin', fishin' and ain't too. ;)

Oh and I think I remember it wasn't Mayfair, but rather more comically, she hired a boat and lit it up with many lightbulbs saying that, going up and down the Thames. I'd like to see the tabloids get a hold of THAT today!

Oh, what he can call me a slimey Limey, but I can't call him Eyetalian! ;)

(At least I don't call him the w-word :lol:)

@TeeJay: Yes, but m'Lady Howstun pronounced it thusly. I'm sure she said huntin', shootin', fishin' and ain't too. ;)

Oh and I think I remember it wasn't Mayfair, but rather more comically, she hired a boat and lit it up with many lightbulbs saying that, going up and down the Thames. I'd like to see the tabloids get a hold of THAT today!

Ahh, but the guy himself, pronouced his name Ee-vur-rest, yet everyone says "Ever-rest"... I was thinking more about how Americans pronounce the city where NASA operated from (that said, what with the Moss Goww example, their record is not the best :D )

The problem is that the type is set by people to whom the letters mean nothing. Could you tell the difference between Chinese characters?

I remember once seeing an episode of the Antiques Roadshow where someone had a piece of rep porcelain, and one of the ways the expert knew, was that on the coat of arms, rather than the panals being colored, they simply had the names of the colors written in the spaces, which was explained that the manufacturers had simply copied the picture they were given precicely, rather than realizing that the names were supposed to be colored :lol:

Something I would say, is that although I can't read Chinese, I'd like to think that if I regularly worked with something which only had a certain amount of lettering on it, I would learn to recognize (even if it was only visual recognition rather than reading comprehension) what the 'thing' was supposed to look like, especially if it was something which, ultimately, was copied from an original thing. I guess though, as you say, it's one of those 'lost in translation' incidences.