When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Finally Here! Davidsen 111E and Fiddy

Jawo

Just arrived today, the 111E and 127 (Fiddy). Through great anticipation, I ordered Davidsen because I wanted the best rep I could get out of the box. This is my first purchase through Davidsen and have been advised by veteran board members to stay away. Others have told me nothing but good things to say. I encourge all of you whom have had good or bad experiences elaborate on this thread. I also would like any of you members whom are familiar with these two models (in term of genuines) to give their opinions of the reps' accuracy. So does Davidsen live up to the hype?

Pams%20and%20Straps.jpg

Dynamic%20Duo.jpg

At first glace, the PAM's are striking to look at. The AR on both watches are unreal. The Fiddy is a bit stronger than the 111E. The Fiddy has a purple-ish hue, while the 111E is towards the blue side. Both very nice. Again, I don't know the degree of accuracy in regards to the color of AR used, so please feel free to post if you know.

The watches were shipped with 4 sets of straps, 2 for each watch (both 24mm 111E, and 26mm Fiddy). The staps are suprisingly good quality. Thick straps, good stitching and logo'd buckles. The buckles are all different, brushed polished, and a couple with the modern panerai logo.

2%20Straps.jpg

Black%20Strap.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

111E

The 111E is using a traditional lumed dial, non sandwiched. The movement features decorated bridges stamped "Panerai" vs the 111H which has evolved to the c

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New development.....After posting this thread, I went to look at the back of the Fiddy, and guess what? The movement is not working!!!! Yes, the quality control is in the crapper. I am waiting for all of you who told me so, "I told you so". I hope Davidsen is at least an honorable dealer and offer me a replacement. I will keep all of you posted.

Fiddy%20Back.jpg

First, Jawo, just like to say your watches ROCK. I am really liking the idea of the DSN 111E series, instead of the more rep-outtable H.

HOWEVER, and this is huge. Did you ever read my own "DSN Fiddy" thread when I got the very first one?

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=299990

Remember I had to send mine back, because amongst other cosmetic flaws, which Evildee's keen eye pointed out in that thread, it had the Officine Panerai Firenze not painted in in gold?

Here is the closeup:

299990-3011.jpg

And another shot:

299990-3010.jpg

Could it be? Wow, did he send you the Fiddy I sent back??

Is that what happens with Davidsen watches which are sent back -- he recycles them to others? I mean, I expect that of other dealers, but I didn't expect that of him SOMEHOW.

Oh God, I wonder if my 112 is like that -- because I know Davidsen personally built the newer Fiddy himself, after I complained about the first very strongly.

But what a fool I am, if I didn't think this practise went on...

@ALL: Okay, I'm calmer now, a few moments after digesting what I wrote. First, I'd like to say that what I said is CONJECTURE. We none of us know for certain if this is the case, or if this is the same Fiddy. Nor do I think my 112 is someone's send-back, because it's perfect.

However, the engraving is DAMN close to my old Fiddy, including the smudged PANERAI all over. It's even smudged in the same places, which however, I don't know if some of his watches would have that, and thus, it's a coincidence.

I don't know what to think. Thoughts?

New development.....After posting this thread, I went to look at the back of the Fiddy, and guess what? The movement is not working!!!! Yes, the quality control is in the crapper. I am waiting for all of you who told me so, "I told you so". I hope Davidsen is at least an honorable dealer and offer me a replacement. I will keep all of you posted.

Let me just say that if it's the old one I sent back, the movement was the last thing at fault with it. Very troubling though.

First, go through all the steps of making it work. Once you have ascertained that it is the movement, email him and tell him that you want a new DSN Fiddy sent to you. He is very good about that. He won't leave you in the lurch.

But dang.

EDIT: You'll have to pay for the post back. Make sure it's registered airmail. U$20.25 for me from SoFla to HK. Not sure from Canada, though I can ask my boyfriend. However, ask for stuff in compensation. New buckles, etc. etc. etc. He'll work with you. Still very frustrating for you. I'm sorry...

Wow, this is exceptionally disturbing. I have no doubt that this is the same watch as your return. :unsure: I am going to send him this watch back for a replacement. I don't like refurbished watches. Did he send you a replacement while you sent yours back barrett? I would hate to send it back just to have him switch out the bridge and send it back to me.

Wow, this is exceptionally disturbing. I have no doubt that this is the same watch as your return. :unsure:

Yes. :(

EDIT: FWIW, the lume on that first Fiddy was poor. His second is a Star Wars light-sabre, but the PAM 112 is even stronger. I am very pleased on that score.

I am going to send him this watch back for a replacement. I don't like refurbished watches. Did he send you a replacement while you sent yours back barrett? I would hate to send it back just to have him switch out the bridge and send it back to me.

I wondered if I should have replied to you privately, about this matter. But you know what? This forum is to protect our fellow members first, and if this injures me with Davidsen, so be it. I love his watches, and I will continue to buy from him -- but you guys have to know certain things going in.

So here is what happened.

I made a POINT of telling him that I would hold his watch, until he sent me a new one. He wasn't pleased. Not at all. A few emails later, and he told me forget it -- he would refund me the money, including the Western Union fees, and shipping both ways. He was very unhappy.

That's when I had to appeal to his conscience as a merchant, and stroke his vanity as an artist.

I wrote him a very long email telling him I wasn't angry, but that he needs to prove to me he is an honourable vendor.

But I also got some "muscle" in the form of another forum member to intercede. I thank him so much for this, it's not even funny. You know who you are.

Whatever was the reason, the next day he apologised for not being a gentleman (saying he didn't realise I was a woman, and a lady :lol:), and yes, he would send me a new Fiddy without my having to send the old one back.

GOD JOB TOO.

Since the second Fiddy arrived with mechanism issues, which allowed me to canabalise the first Fiddy unto the second.

That cost about $35 to do at my local watchsmith, as opposed to all the money it would've to send these back and forth.

So my counsel to you and to anyone reading this, is to do what I did. I'm sure you can read between the lines.

Good luck, Jawo...

Thanks for the info and great advice. If you look closely at both movements, all the markings, screw positions, flaws, are exactly the same. He has assured me that a replacement will be sent to me right away. I have requested that I would send him back this watch only once his replacement's tracking number is validated. I have even sent him money for replacement EMS shipping back to me. A gesture of good will on my part. I am easy to deal with. I hope he will honor this request.

Thanks for the info and great advice. If you look closely at both movements, all the markings, screw positions, flaws, are exactly the same. He has assured me that a replacement will be sent to me right away. I have requested that I would send him back this watch only once his replacement's tracking number is validated. I have even sent him money for replacement EMS shipping back to me. A gesture of good will on my part. I am easy to deal with. I hope he will honor this request.

A diplomatic move on your part, and one I confess, I wouldn't have done.

But as you say, you are easy to deal with, and hopefully, paying for the EMS fees will make him happier than he was with me.

Just for the record, he treats return customers a lot better than newbies. He treats me like royalty now. Not sure why. Someone conjectured that he had a lot of newbies hose him for watches which they never "returned", and he's grown suspicious of them. A shame if true, but remember this isn't fact, it's just what I heard.

I wanted to stick around for a reply, just in case, but I'm glad you and DSN are sorting things out. I've cleared my Inbox a bit, in case you need any other ideas from my poor newbie self.

Night, Jawo, guys!

Thank you very much kind madam ^_^ . I have posted a link to this thread in the reply to Davidsen. I am confident he will do the right thing. I have lots of trade references which would state that I am an honorable customer. I have 50+ reps and other merchandise I have purchased from various dealers in this forum. I have money to spend and I hope he treats me right.

Jawo, try winding the fiddy backwards and pull the crown in and out. After that gently smack the inside palm of your hand with the watch holding it by the strap. Try this several times and it should fire up. My Davidsen fiddy, which I love has this problem and is remedied by this action. The watches look great BTW and I am sure Davidsen will take care of you should you need to send it back. Good luck.

Thank you very much kind madam ^_^ . I have posted a link to this thread in the reply to Davidsen. I am confident he will do the right thing. I have lots of trade references which would state that I am an honorable customer. I have 50+ reps and other merchandise I have purchased from various dealers in this forum. I have money to spend and I hope he treats me right.

I think he likes hearing that. I even showed him THAT famous photo of all my PAM reps plus straps that I posted once, which I had accumulated in just 1 month and 4 days.

I told him, "Do you really want to lose a customer who could be spending this type of money on you?".

Very inelegant on my part, but the circumstances looked dire at that point.

For the record, I think whether a person buys ONE watch or 100 watches from a merchant they should be treated the same courteous way. But in real life, it doesn't work that way. The more you spend, the better a merchant likes you.

Meanwhile, I'd take Hambone's advice if you haven't already. I never had to do that with a DSN watch, but on my other reps, you betcha. Gets them starting and so far, they haven't stopped (touch wood).

Jawo, try winding the fiddy backwards and pull the crown in and out. After that gently smack the inside palm of your hand with the watch holding it by the strap. Try this several times and it should fire up. My Davidsen fiddy, which I love has this problem and is remedied by this action. The watches look great BTW and I am sure Davidsen will take care of you should you need to send it back. Good luck.

Ah yes, the venerable "impact revitalization" technique. Does anyone have an idea why/how this works?

This experience confirms that I will never buy a rep from Davidsen. What kind of business does he run? You don't send out a used watch that someone else didn't want and report it as new.

Horrible.

It's hard to stick up for the guy given what happened to Jawo, and I'm glad that TWP will probably have some new customers coming his way, because of it.

But a good DSN watch is worth its weight in gold.

I'm also fairly sure almost all other merchants recycle their watches, once they have been "serviced". I just was idiotic enough not to realise Davidsen was one of them (allegedly -- can someone please check the movements to see if our suspicions are confirmed?).

His pre-v buckles are hilarous.

They are. But I love 'em. :)

Since it's hard to find an old MX logo buckle, it's the next best thing. I think I have around 10 now.

But a good DSN watch is worth its weight in gold.

Since it's hard to find an old MX logo buckle, it's the next best thing. I think I have around 10 now.

Couldn't agree more with both statements.

I'd say find yourself a good DSN model and stick to it. The thing is - you have to "be there, at the right moment" and snap it up quickly. DSN has limited production runs and availability of his products, and availability good DSN watches/parts doesn't last forever. Remember his ver.1 5218-201a, 202, 203, Slytecs, T-dials with high horizontal bars on letter "A"...his second ver pre-A 002, 10/114 dial etc.

As for the "DSN" buckle (it's actually not "his own" bespoke buckle), agree again, while not historically correct it's very nice and makes a good fit and alternative to OEM-rep ones, heck even renowned strap makers like Greg Stevenson use these buckles (different engraving, though) on his top straps...and those hard-core gen Paneristi seem love them, nevertheless :)

stay well and keep your eyes peeled :)

babola

That 111 dial is so terrible....

what are you guys thinking buying this stuff....

wow...

I'd say find yourself a good DSN model and stick to it. The thing is - you have to "be there, at the right moment" and snap it up quickly. DSN has limited production runs and availability of his products, and availability good DSN watches/parts doesn't last forever. Remember his ver.1 5218-201a, 202, 203, Slytecs, T-dials with high horizontal bars on letter "A"...his second ver pre-A 002, 10/114 dial etc.

As for the "DSN" buckle (it's actually not "his own" bespoke buckle), agree again, while not historically correct it's very nice and makes a good fit and alternative to OEM-rep ones, heck even renowned strap makers like Greg Stevenson use these buckles (different engraving, though) on his top straps...and those hard-core gen Paneristi seem love them, nevertheless :)

babola

babola

I couldn't agree less with both statements. A Paneristi who saw that buckle would laugh. It's horrible. Inaccurate shape and 3rd grader engraving. No aftermarket strap maker would use such a buckle. There are countless aftermarket makers of buckles who do a much better job with the shape (Bob, Don, Europelli, .....).

I think DSN trys hard to get his watches right, but can't seem to get his dials right. I step forward, two steps back. Quality control seems to be an issue too. Shouldn't happen with custom watches ever. I'd rather go with a dealer who gets it right the first time.

I couldn't agree less with both statements. A Paneristi who saw that buckle would laugh. It's horrible. Inaccurate shape and 3rd grader engraving. No aftermarket strap maker would use such a buckle. There are countless aftermarket makers of buckles who do a much better job with the shape (Bob, Don, Europelli, .....).

I think DSN trys hard to get his watches right, but can't seem to get his dials right. I step forward, two steps back. Quality control seems to be an issue too. Shouldn't happen with custom watches ever. I'd rather go with a dealer who gets it right the first time.

Stick to what you believe is right for you.

As with many other things in life - horses for courses...

;-)

Edited by babola

I'd rather go with a dealer who gets it right the first time.

Not to diss your opinion, Estaban, but I'll take Babola's keen eye on all things Panerai over just about anyone's, save Enzo, Sssurfer, and Kruzer00.

That we should talk about these problems is ESSENTIAL considering the misery Jawo, and I (as two examples) have gone through in getting a good DSN watch out of the box.

But let's not kid ourselves into thinking that any other merchant doesn't have problems with their rep watches. There is NO SUCH THING as an error-proof rep watch from any dealer.

As an aside, I am awaiting an modded PAM 005 from TWP, and I have excellent hopes it'll be fantastic. I know he'll take care of me, in case I have any issues.

That 111 dial is so terrible....

what are you guys thinking buying this stuff....

wow...

Yeah, ditto that. One of the worst ddials I've ever seen...

and on the other hand, within close inspection DSN Fiddy (I just inspected a fiddy of him, I cannot talk on his other watches)

That has many marks on the dial. prints and very small hairlines... On the back plates of the movt too...

Like an unexperienced watchsmith took apart the watch than remounted it...

and many say he doesn't drop ship, he ships personally... well, if this is personal shipping, then screw personal shipping :)

so I'm wondering like chad too... what are you guys thinking buying this stuff....

This thread should be a wake up call to all Panerai collectors. Personally I have never accepted that Davidsen's stuff is anything other than DIFFERENT from the normal reps. For DIFFERENT read WORSE. Being different is the most annoying thing because his 44mm watches are dimensionally incorrect to the extent that gen / normal rep parts won't fit. I totally agree that his 111H dial is the worst ever but you can't replace it with any normal rep dial. He obviously has access to a bespoke dial printing service which I wish I could use to produce 100% accurate dials, but I would make sure that they were absolutely spot-on before anyone else ever saw them. His CGs are frequently of very poor quality with misshapen levers that don