When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I think there really is a best rep...

mezzanine

...and it's the ceramic Hublot Big Bangs. It's hard for me to imagine things getting much better than this. Sure, there are a ton of great replica watches. There's an entire universe of stylistic bents to suit each personal taste.

But there also is something to be said for an overall factor of technological achievement that serves as the analogous drive in the genuine watch industry in advancing the world of modern watches. You've got to have something hot in the market to be successful as a watchmaker, and the modern standard has got to be the Big Bangs. It's the Gerald Genta of the next generation. When you consider that this watch is so well replicated, I believe there is a true 'pinnacle' watch to own right now in the replica hobby.

The gen bezel is the cincher. It takes an awesome base watch, that if you like, you really like. When you add the ceramic, the watch at it's original price is a tremendous value and opportunity to own something that looks amazing at a price proportionate to the gen that makes you feel sorry for the gen owners. It's awesome to be able to have the same essential watch for approx. 15% of it's retail price. It's a watch you really have to see to believe, the modern aesthetics are where it's at.

You know it's good when you imagine that it could take a couple of years to see it be bested.

DSC00263.jpg

DSC00260.jpg

You know, I don't particularly like the design of this watch. However, let me place myself in your situation hypothetically. If I was very passionate about the Hublot Big Bangs, say as passionate as I am about the Patek Philippe 5970G, it would be very difficult to resist buying one - especially if it was so well replicated. In that sense, if the design appeals to you, I'm all for it - but in my opinion, just buying a rep 'because it is very close to the original' is neither a justification for price nor personal appeal. Just because it is a very good rep doesn't make me like it any more... and the obscene price it costs compared to other reps (considering it is, after all, an Asian movement that is nothing special) makes me think twice regarding whether or not this is a wise investment.

However, if you like this watch very much, then this release will make life 'heaven on Earth' for you! And it always makes me happy when a rep makes a person happy. Goodness knows there are enough that make us sad :(.

:D

imnho..

the HBB's only have 1 real thing that seperates themselves from any and all contenders..

Polished Ceramic Bezel

this alone trumps any and all other "super-reps" in terms of quality.. I like the comparison smoeone once made that besides the design and the magnetic appeal of the big bang and the combination of textures that blend together in a magnificent soup, what truly seperates the HBB is the polished ceramic bezel..

it literally becomes unique because of the depth and richness of it.. it's like staring into a pool and seeing things reflected and captured..

there's a mirror-effect to it that simply has to be seen to be believed..

I said this before and I'll say it again.. out of all my reps and they almost always gets compliments (FM Conq 2892, UPO, Montblanc Timewalker, Pam 111h) ... *nothing* gets attention like the HBB

literally, every single person who has seen it who knows me and those who do not know me but have enough guts.. actually compliment the watch

you know how ridiculous a batting average that is? that's like batting 1.000, everyone who has seen it who knows me, has complimented me on it and not just once..

some people continually do so saying, "damn i can't get over that watch" or some other such..

BUT not everything is perfect.. to truly appreciate something, you must know its flaws.. and the HBB has 2 glaring flaws

1. it must never come off your wrist (caseback stickers=you're dead)

2. ...you cannot wear it out on the streets at night, you will be robbed/mugged/etc.. it's that potent a magnet

I agree with Mezzanine and TR, of all the reps I own the ceramic HBB is the finest. The quality and beauty of the watch is unmatched and like TR said, the attention it gets is far beyond any watch out there. The ceramic bezel is a factor yes, however it is a componant in a combination of superb designs. It cannot be fully appreciated until it is in your hands and from that moment it makes perfect sense. The stickers on the back are of minor consequence, as it takes a trained eye looking rather closely to spot it and 99.5% of people out there are not going to ever pick up on that part of the rep factor.

There are a few it seems who want to knock the watch and I would suggest again, seeing it in person, or if you cannot afford it, then go out and buy a Flock of Seagulls greatest hits album. :p

There are a few it seems who want to knock the watch and I would suggest again, seeing it in person
You see, I have, a gen, in an AD, and everything about it just grates <_<

It's the watch equivalent of Vertu - ostentatious 'look at me' styling using snake oil descriptions of all the 'rare' materials used, a premium price to match (gen and rep :lol:), but just bog-standard stuff under the hood.

Not getting the Flock of Seagulls reference though :huh:

OK, as I stated earlier, I agree with your comments concerning the idea behind a 'Best' rep.

But I do not agree with the HBB being the 'Best' rep.

For many of us with sub 6.75 in. wrists... the BB is too damn BIG. Wears much larger than the average 44mm Pam. And although I agree that the quality of the watch is very good.. there are better reps out there quality wise as well.

However, if it makes you feel good...I suppose that is all that matters. For me spending 600.00 for a 7750 is not worth the potential problems to swap out or service the movement. Eventually it will be a 750.00 or a 1000.00 watch. How much is a rep worth? You make the call. I say there are 1000.00

gens that are more worth the money.

That being said...I think my 400.00 MBK PPNautilus requiring little or no future modding is a much better investment, and it fits my puny 6.75 wrist. FWIW.

Beauty (and value) is in the eye of the beholder.

I've owned both the MBK PP Nautilus, as well as the ceramic Big Bang, and while the Nautilus is nice- the point that I've seen come up again and again from those that own it, is that it's the gen bezel that takes it to the next level.

One of the problems is that it's difficult to capture the bezel in photographs. The polished bezel surface is literally as reflective as a mirror, but the crystal's strong double-AR treatment is essentially invisible. This produces a neat aesthetic effect, whereby the contrast in shiny and non-shiny surfaces produces a very dramatic look.

The finish on the bezel is unreal, and I think it's safe to say that we're going to continue to see the use of ceramic in our watches as time goes on. The machining of the pattern along the exterior of the circumference is high grade, and draws attention to the modular construction of the materials of the watch...and it too has a reflective property which seems to 'trap' light along the facets of the design. When light hits the side, it produces a converging light effect that focuses it along a geometric ridge in the corrogation to create a shine along a textured surface that doesn't look shiny on it's own. There's no other material that I can think of that could be used to produce the same type of effect.

If you're talking about 'value'...I believe someone just found the site for the Japanese company that manufactures them. You can pick one up for $800, but if they're as 'backed up' on orders as they were a few months ago, then you may have an extended wait before you receive it.

This isn't just some random part that happens to the authentic on the watch. Let's say the uPO's came with a gen bezel. It would be nice, but not altogether necessary, with the quality of the rep ones. But I think there is a purpose behind specifically sourcing gen bezels for the HBB. I think it is partially because the rep makers probably couldn't rep them to the degree of finish that the gen has, with their available machining technology.

Maybe someone will step in, and suggest that they could- but part of what I believe makes this rep the best is because the gen part it uses would have probably been a weak point, if the factory had been forced to try to come up with their own. Instead, it makes the watch.

I think some members may have different ideas of what "the best rep" means. This isnt a bad thing, but its just a difference of opinion. You could either say its the best because its my personal favorite and it feels good on the wrist... and someone else might say its "the best rep" becasue its the most accurate to genuine and really really well made. When i think about "the best rep" i think about build quality and accuracy. Even though the HBB isnt a watch i would wear and will probably never buy... i do consider it to be one of "the best reps" available right now.

Ive always loved the Hublots.. even back 10 years ago they still had a cutting edge style and i always was impressed by them.. still wouldnt buy one though.. its not my style.

I like the HBB, but after buying one for a colleague (and of course wearing it for a day!) I decided not to buy one for myself. I was pretty underwhelmed both by the fit and finish on the dial, screws (if you're going to rep a watch w/ that many visible screws you ought to do them well a la the ROO), and movement. I've never seen a gen, so maybe biver's watch is rough too, but I doubt it. The HBB is a great rep, but nowhere near the best. I'd put it into the category of the majority of good reps--it would fool 99% of the people, but hold up for about a second around anyone w/ decent knowledge of watches. A truly great rep, IMO,(the Muller COnquistador, a modded PAM 063 or 29, etc) a collector would at least have to stare at for a little while to discern its repness.

My first Ceramic BB 7750 crapped out within 2 days...the replacement did the same after some time....at that point I decided against getting a third. The watch get attention from watch lovers but about 1/100 the attention compared to my TW 39mm white gold plated MOP diamond dial diamond bezel Rolex Masterpiece....but that thing can rarely be worn compared to the BB which can be worn more casually...=P