When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

BR 03-92 LE review

sssurfer

I recently got a Bell & Ross BR03-92 Limited Edition from Joshua.

I choosed a 03 model because it had a date window and because of its size (42mm vs 46mm of the 01 models), and I specifically headed to the 03-92 because I liked its simple face more than the 03-94 chrono complications.

I got it from Joshua because he is one of my preferred collectors and because he was able to provide the watch with two straps (nylon/velcro and rubber).

The Limited Edition has been sort of an obliged choice as Joshua was not selling the 03-92 normal edition. This was not a problem to me, as I wanted the model with blue hands and marks -- that is incorrect both for the 03-92 (that only comes in white hands and marks) and the 03-92 LE (that only comes in orange hands and marks).

When the watch arrived I realized that I had taken one good choice and one bad choice.

The good choice was about the size. Boys, these beasts are HUGE! Even the 42mm is just a little less than oversized on my wrist, I could not even think of how a 46mm would feel.

The bad choice was about the color. The blue color proved to be a so dark blue that it made for a very poor contrast on the black background. The watch readability, that is the very best feature of any BR, greatly suffered from it. I am actually able to easily read the time only under full light conditions. To give you a hint about it, the following two shots show you the watch in flashlight and in natural light. I assure you that even the natural light was not poor light. Under really dim light, reading the watch becomes a nightmare.

br5st4.jpg

br6tw7.jpg

(All other pics that follow are taken in flashlight unless otherwise stated).

A front view of the watch, side to side with the gen:

brrepgenxw7.jpg

As you can see, this is a pretty decent rep. The only glaring flaw is about the position of the four small screws on the dial, that are placed a little too close to the dial's border so that the minute marks near them look a little shortened.

Other minor differences are in the height and position of the logo and text, but those are very small differences, only detectable on a side-to-side comparison or if you are a BR geek for real.

Also The case and crown are very well replicated, and the PVD is absolutely believable. Here is a pic in natural light in order to make you able to compare the PVD look of the rep with the gen already shown above:

br4wq3.jpg

I am not at knowledge on how the caseback should be. The one on the watch I got is this:

brbacktk6.jpg

(A quick comparison with the same watch offered by different collectors shows that the general arrangement and nubers on the caseback are exactly the same).

About the crown, it is almost perfectly repped, but there is a problem. Contrarily from what advertised on Joshua's site, the crown is NOT screw-in. I suppose that this affects the water resistance of the watch, and I am soon going to have it tested.

On the other hand, I already tested the crystal and it resulted to be true sapphire as advertised.

But the weakest point of this rep (apart from the color that was a free choice by myself) is no doubt the lume, that is absolutely non-existent. Relume on order.

One last shot before going to tell about the movement:

br1hy4.jpg

The advertised movement is the mysterious "Asia 4813 Automatic Movement, 28800bph". I did not open the watch yet so I cannot provide insights on this movement, but I can tell that the seconds hand runs smoothly, the crown is a pleasure to wind, the power reserve is more than 40 hrs, and the auto gets easily winded by the wrist movement (I do not move my left wrist very much but the watch keeps running).

In the first few days the watch stopped two times and I was going to ask for a replacement, then I realized that the crown just needed a little care when you put it back in after winding the watch or setting the time or date. All my other watches either have a screw-in crown or a lever pushing the crown, so I simply was not accustomized enough with a crown this kind.

Ok, to the strap now.

As I said, I got this watch with two straps: nylon/velcro and rubber.

It also came with a kit to replace the strap, kit made of two keys to remove the lug screws. As a matter of fact, those screws' heads cannot be screwn/unscrewn by ordinary screwdrivers (neither cross screwdrivers), as they have a hexagonal hole that you can rotate only with the proper key. And you also need two keys as you have to act on both the ends of the screw, that is a two-headed screw.

The nylon/velcro strap proved comfortable and it is the one that I am currently using.

On the contrary, the rubber strap is stiff and unconfortable. It also has only one ring to keep the exceeding end of the strap once you close the buckle, and that ring is not freely positionable along the strap, but it is solid with the strap near the buckle end. The final result is that if you, like me, have a small wrist, the long exceeding part of the strap is not kept flush to the strap and it tends to get entangled everywhere, besides of looking ridicolous.

I came to hate the rubber strap at the point that I don't want to take pics of it. So I'll put an end to this review with a pic of the buckle of the nylon strap in natural light. Oddly it displays "BR01" as if the watch was not a BR03 (I wonder whether that same buckle is used on the BR01 models, that are 46mm though so that a 24mm strap should not fit).

brbucklehp2.jpg

Thanks for looking,

:sss:

Thx for your great review ! :D

I like the B&R design a lot too, although it is a really chunky watch. Even the 42 is big for my wrist. As we all know, square watches wear bigger on the wrist.

See, I was sure that the rubber strap was the perfect match with that watch. I even bought one for my 39mm model. And I hated it because it was...too soft :lol:

If you want a velcro strap made to measure and with blue stitching for example, Gasgasbones is offering this service on RWI. He has many nice variations. I have a 6.5 inches wrist, and could get something where I don't look ridiculous. And he can include your own buckle if you want.

You forgot to tell us about the lume ?

Wear it well ! B)

Thanks for your kind words!

@Pix:

Definitely your strap must be made with some different rubber than mine. Mine is so stiff that it doesn't even follow the curved line of the wrist, that is oval, it wants to stay round.

Really thanks for the heads up about Gasgabones, I'll check!

I actually told something about the lume, check thoroughly and you will find it! :)

---

Btw, i just noticed another flaw in this rep if compared with the gen: the hour and minute hands are inverted! :bangin:

brrepgenxw7.jpg

:lol:

Just found the lumeshot ;)

Better this way than half lumed like mine : I have lumed digits and paint on the hands.

Here's a small shot of the Gasgasbones work.

post-4381-1192961380_thumb.jpg

The strap I bought was more like Latex/Silicone : very, very smooth. I did not like it really. See, different people, different tastes.

Actually your rep is very close to the gen, at least it's the best version I've seen. They finally stopped reproducing these dummy screws on the caseback !!

PVD is definitely the way to go for a B&R in my opinion.

Well, my wrist is barely 17cm and the 42mm BR looks ok (to my eyes at least).

Pix, that strap from Gasgabones looks beautiful! Thanks once again for pointing to him.

And congrats on that gorgeous combo, wear it well!

Great review sssurfer!

I already have a 39mm and a 46mm.

As 46mm is way too big for my small wrist I gave it to my bro.

The 39mm (swiss) is a very nice piece, unfortunately I ordered PVD/orange markers. For my taste somehow difficult to combine with clothing sometimes. Today I would prefer having chosen PVD/white markers.

OK, now the 42mm is availeable. I always wanted to have one of these. But what really, REALLY fugs me up is that it has no screw-in crown as you stated. Even 39mm version has it.. :-(

Hope the manufacturer is going to eliminate this flaw...

Everything else looks ok to me. Wear it in good health mate!

Cheers

Panama

Guest watchbuff

Nice shots of the blue version. I have an Orange and wondering how to go about luming the dial and hands. Does the Gen have Lume? I am ot certain, I did not search hard for an answer but if someone would know , they would be herer. I modded my BR 01-92 46 mm with real caseback screws.

Check it out!

frankenjustc013pf5.jpg

By watchbuff at 2007-10-08

frankenjustc012fj9.jpg

By watchbuff, shot with DSC-W5 at 2007-10-22

Edited by watchbuff

Great review ssurfer.

@ watchbuff

As far as I know, the gen in lumed, including the orange one, here's one I lumed, sorry I didn't get a glow shot, although it's glows like the rest, greenish...

1.jpg

2.jpg

As for how to go about luming it, either you do it yourself, or you get someone to do it for you. If you have never lumed, best to have someone do it for you.

RG

Thanks all and especially to The Zigmeister who agreed to make the relume when right time will come. I already saw his work on the orange lume in another thread, but I am amazed at his larger picture here!

A relume in light blue should be a solution for both the low visibility in daylight and the no-glow in the darkness.

@Everythingape: the lume on my watch is not just bad, it is substantially missing. After full exposure to sunlight and going into a completely dark room, you can barely see it a few minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

simply amazing lume job!! :)

Great review ssurfer.

@ watchbuff

As far as I know, the gen in lumed, including the orange one, here's one I lumed, sorry I didn't get a glow shot, although it's glows like the rest, greenish...

1.jpg

2.jpg

As for how to go about luming it, either you do it yourself, or you get someone to do it for you. If you have never lumed, best to have someone do it for you.

RG

do all the hands on the bell & ross instrument collection glow blue?

Unsure I get the correct meaning of your question (poor English speaker here, apologies).

If you mean which genuine models have blue hands and indices, the only models that also come in blue are the BR01-92 Limited Edition and the BR01-94 (both 46mm models).

If you mean whether all the three hands on blue models are lumed in blue: yes, they all are.

For those who are thinking about the BR03-94, get it! I ordered mine from Joshua and I love it. First time I owned a quartz chrono (very accurate!), and although its not smooth, i think I prefer it to the asian 7750 28800, which I have on about 8 watches and been having problems with them.....This PVD with white dial is on the spot....I can't find any flaw!!!! Great model!

I recently got a Bell & Ross BR03-92 Limited Edition from Joshua.

I choosed a 03 model because it had a date window and because of its size (42mm vs 46mm of the 01 models), and I specifically headed to the 03-92 because I liked its simple face more than the 03-94 chrono complications.

I got it from Joshua because he is one of my preferred collectors and because he was able to provide the watch with two straps (nylon/velcro and rubber).

The Limited Edition has been sort of an obliged choice as Joshua was not selling the 03-92 normal edition. This was not a problem to me, as I wanted the model with blue hands and marks -- that is incorrect both for the 03-92 (that only comes in white hands and marks) and the 03-92 LE (that only comes in orange hands and marks).

When the watch arrived I realized that I had taken one good choice and one bad choice.

The good choice was about the size. Boys, these beasts are HUGE! Even the 42mm is just a little less than oversized on my wrist, I could not even think of how a 46mm would feel.

The bad choice was about the color. The blue color proved to be a so dark blue that it made for a very poor contrast on the black background. The watch readability, that is the very best feature of any BR, greatly suffered from it. I am actually able to easily read the time only under full light conditions. To give you a hint about it, the following two shots show you the watch in flashlight and in natural light. I assure you that even the natural light was not poor light. Under really dim light, reading the watch becomes a nightmare.

br5st4.jpg

br6tw7.jpg

(All other pics that follow are taken in flashlight unless otherwise stated).

A front view of the watch, side to side with the gen:

brrepgenxw7.jpg

As you can see, this is a pretty decent rep. The only glaring flaw is about the position of the four small screws on the dial, that are placed a little too close to the dial's border so that the minute marks near them look a little shortened.

Other minor differences are in the height and position of the logo and text, but those are very small differences, only detectable on a side-to-side comparison or if you are a BR geek for real.

Also The case and crown are very well replicated, and the PVD is absolutely believable. Here is a pic in natural light in order to make you able to compare the PVD look of the rep with the gen already shown above:

br4wq3.jpg

I am not at knowledge on how the caseback should be. The one on the watch I got is this:

brbacktk6.jpg

(A quick comparison with the same watch offered by different collectors shows that the general arrangement and nubers on the caseback are exactly the same).

About the crown, it is almost perfectly repped, but there is a problem. Contrarily from what advertised on Joshua's site, the crown is NOT screw-in. I suppose that this affects the water resistance of the watch, and I am soon going to have it tested.

On the other hand, I already tested the crystal and it resulted to be true sapphire as advertised.

But the weakest point of this rep (apart from the color that was a free choice by myself) is no doubt the lume, that is absolutely non-existent. Relume on order.

One last shot before going to tell about the movement:

br1hy4.jpg

The advertised movement is the mysterious "Asia 4813 Automatic Movement, 28800bph". I did not open the watch yet so I cannot provide insights on this movement, but I can tell that the seconds hand runs smoothly, the crown is a pleasure to wind, the power reserve is more than 40 hrs, and the auto gets easily winded by the wrist movement (I do not move my left wrist very much but the watch keeps running).

In the first few days the watch stopped two times and I was going to ask for a replacement, then I realized that the crown just needed a little care when you put it back in after winding the watch or setting the time or date. All my other watches either have a screw-in crown or a lever pushing the crown, so I simply was not accustomized enough with a crown this kind.

Ok, to the strap now.

As I said, I got this watch with two straps: nylon/velcro and rubber.

It also came with a kit to replace the strap, kit made of two keys to remove the lug screws. As a matter of fact, those screws' heads cannot be screwn/unscrewn by ordinary screwdrivers (neither cross screwdrivers), as they have a hexagonal hole that you can rotate only with the proper key. And you also need two keys as you have to act on both the ends of the screw, that is a two-headed screw.

The nylon/velcro strap proved comfortable and it is the one that I am currently using.

On the contrary, the rubber strap is stiff and unconfortable. It also has only one ring to keep the exceeding end of the strap once you close the buckle, and that ring is not freely positionable along the strap, but it is solid with the strap near the buckle end. The final result is that if you, like me, have a small wrist, the long exceeding part of the strap is not kept flush to the strap and it tends to get entangled everywhere, besides of looking ridicolous.

I came to hate the rubber strap at the point that I don't want to take pics of it. So I'll put an end to this review with a pic of the buckle of the nylon strap in natural light. Oddly it displays "BR01" as if the watch was not a BR03 (I wonder whether that same buckle is used on the BR01 models, that are 46mm though so that a 24mm strap should not fit).

brbucklehp2.jpg

Thanks for looking,

:sss: