When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

One of the tricks of making your watches look authentic

mezzanine

Mixing in the right genuine part, or using a high quality aftermarket part, in the right places can make all the difference in creating an authentic-looking time piece.

Of course, this is something that modders know implicitly, but the rest of us can benefit from applying this principle to increase the 'feel' of our favourite watches. In the discussion on the forum the last couple of days about the merits of collecting gens vs. reps, the real secret benefit to collecting reps may lie in the fact that rep enthusiasts become more aware of the componentry and part construction of their watches.

That gives us a knowledge base to be able to venture out into the marketplace and play a type of 'arbitrage' game, whereby the right parts can be picked up and integrated to blur the lines between gen and rep.

One of the reasons I really like the ceramic HBB, and have suggested that at it's original price, it was a veritable bargain, is that the genuine bezel 'makes' the watch- and does so by fufilling the practice of combining gen and rep parts in the most effective ways.

The Steelfish looks great on the genuine Breitling straps.

Pams, if you match them up with a genuine strap or go with a really good aftermarket option, are taken to the next level.

The obvious one- the MBK rollies that accept genuine parts.

The problem is that you can end up spending as much to accessorize or modify your watch, as you do on the entire watch. That appears like a dumb move, but the two 'worlds' operate on different financial principles. Like The Zigmeister has said with regard to the importance of maintaining your treasured replicas, a rep watch still operates within the same type of cost structure as other mechanical watches.

As a result, as you start to create a collection, I think that the worlds can combine more and more. There is a much more stable market for genuine parts. The result is that you can mod some of your watches with genuine parts, and although they're costly, they retain their value, so you retain the ability to sell them for what you paid for them originally at some later point...the reason being that by virtue of being a rep enthusiast, you're more likely to not overpay for parts because of your greater knowledge level.

Mixing in the right genuine part, or using a high quality aftermarket part, in the right places can make all the difference in creating an authentic-looking time piece.

I absolutely agree. Second most important being... Bleach, sandpaper, drill bits, files, scuffy pads, rides inside cement mixers filled with coins, and 40 foot drops off the top of a house onto Nanuqs driveway... ;)

hehe :)

Lonnie

HAHA i remember someone actually trying this at Costco with an Omega seamaster.. they got caught about 2 weeks later and arrested LOL

A lot of work there to be sure.

A simpler method would be to order the gen, then order the rep.

Return the rep to the gen dealer and await your refund.

Let me know how this works out for anyone willing to give it a try.

Really great post.

The really important part I would add, is that it takes a lot of research to know if certain genuine parts will fit the rep.

Some parts fit without any modification at all, others need slight to major modification to fit, and other parts dont' fit at all, no matter what you do to them.

Generally Omega parts (hands, dials, bracelets) fit without any modifications, certainly this is true on the PO series. I have installed a number of Gen dials, and they slip right over the movement and fit the case perfectly. The crowns and tubes can be replaced with gen ones, but require a fair bit of work to get them to fit.

When it comes to other brands, it's anyone's guess of what will fit and what won't. As soon as you have to modify the gen parts to fit the rep, your resale possibility is gone. This would be the case with most rollie parts, dials etc, as well as Breitlings, some dials need to be modded to fit the rep case.

Someone who is considering upgrading their watch, has to do a lot of research, and understand that some of the gen parts may not fit, even if someone else did the mod successfully. Even among identical watches, there are differences...don't expect your modder to know if your mod is possible, until he tries it out.

RG

I totally agree with The Zigmeister on the issue of modding gen parts to fit reps. I would much prefer to modify the rep to accept the genuine parts. I've used genuine dials, hands, crownguards and crowns to create franken PAMs and I know that the resale value of the parts is still secure. The finished watches have genuine Swiss movements and a mix of gen and rep parts and 'feel' genuine, but I may have to dismantle them again to get my money back. It's not going to happen soon.

Good point about doing a lot of research to be sure that the parts you're looking to use are usable on the rep.

I think that's where things are heading- reps that can use genuine parts without as much in the way of necessary modifications. The new 16610 that's being talked about looks as though it could have this potential- the bezel assembly looks exactly the gen.

The lines start to blur together pretty quickly. It's starting to get so that if you're alright with using a rep case/movement, then a lot of the more aesthetic gen parts can be added to that base- and in the case of Pams, as well as a lot of the ETA powered watches, you can put together the same basic watch with a rep case/movement and gen 'parts' for significantly less than the real thing- while essentially having the same watch.

The beauty is that usually you can cherry-pick the part or parts that is either most flawed on the rep, or is most critical to the appearance of the gen, and then economize your modding so that you use only those parts that are necessary to reach that point at which the believability factor reaches critical mass.

The conceptual distinction between 'rep' and genuine watch becomes more subjective, the longer you go on collecting reps. To me, our hobby is so much more multi-faceted and compelling then collecting gens. There are exceptions- watches that are legendary or are composed of components that could not be easily replicated- but for the majority of watches, it's possible to hybridize our reps so that the difference is only their value.

It is not hard to see why the more veteran collectors move in the direction of modifying as they move along with their collections.

I find myself doing the same. I see a distinction- two rep 'universes' that co-exist together.

The first is the universe populated by the super-rep. These tend to be watches that are not as commonly known by non-WIS types. There isn't as much modding needed to be done to these reps, and the reps themselves tend to be of newer models of gen watches. These are the reps that I believe are best modded by including things like a genuine strap, as in the case of the SFSO.

The second universe is composed of the more popular brands, where modding is really essential to be able to create a watch of believable appearance. These tend to be the Pams and Rollies. Perhaps because of their popularity, there is more willingness to devote the resources toward modding them in ways that the reps of other brands don't inspire. These are the reps that respond best to swaps for genuine parts.

I think it's possible that collectors pass through phases, where they move from one universe of concentration to the other. Myself- I was more compelled by the non-Rolex/Pam watches initially, but find myself becoming more intrigued with the additional artistic component represented by the modding that goes into the more popular brands.

Good points, all. But I think the most important factor is knowing your target gen. In my opinion, it is absolutely imperative that before you even pick up that screwdriver, you make a trip to your local AD & try on the gen version of your rep watch. And, if you need to, make 2 or 3 trips. Familiarize yourself with the fit, feel & overall impression of the gen & compare it to your rep. To paraphrase 1 of my favorite lines, 'You have to know the rules before you can successfully break them.' In this case, it means before you start slapping expensive gen parts on a rep, you have to know, intimately, what the differences are & have an end goal in mind. Otherwise, and I speak from alot of experience here, you will waste alot of time & money.

If all newbies would learn this 1 simple rule (Know Your Target), I think there would be far more satisfied rep owners & far fewer 'What is the best rep?' or 'Does Y watch look better than X watch?' types of questions.

Knowledge is power.

The #1 rule of making your watches look authentic is.....................................

Don't wear what appears to be a $20,000 watch while dressed in ripped shorts, a tank top and driving a 1982 Toyota corolla. :D

Unfortunately, this describes 90% of all Americans at any given time. :p

(Stop! I'm not picking on Americans. Germans can be just as badly dressed, etc. But Americans are down-home people. Whey they're young, they dress up to go to clubs, and always for special occasions like proms, weddings, bar mitzvahs. But usually, they look humble to the point of making it a fetish. Elegance simply doesn't resonate in this culture)

Look, dress and act the part. If you cannot do this, stick with Timex.

I think this guy is wearing a fancy Timex. :lol:

sewatchmobtd6.jpg

But such is life, that if he emerged from his car, looking as he does, with that presence he has, even if he had the rankest, fugliest Canal St. Panerai or Rolex rep, I at first wouldn't blink. Not one little bit.

Life is unfair.

Jfreeman & vbarrett make another good point (and one that has been made by others).....but a word of caution.

One Saturday afternoon, many years ago, while working in an upscale audio salon, I assisted a guy who looked like the textbook definition of a 'bum'. He was dressed in old clothes (plaid flannel shirt, baggy jeans & army boots), covered in paint and other stains & smelled like he had not crossed paths with an open bar of soap in weeks. But there was something about him.....his mannerisms & comportment......he did not fit the M.O. of most street people.....but his look & smell certainly did. Anyway, while I was doing my thing & going through the motions of demoing some of our most exclusive stereo gear for a guy who looked like he could not afford coffee at Starbucks, I happened to notice he was wearing a watch that looked like it had the name Piaget on its mirrored face. Having seen alot of low income people wearing blingy reps, I did not immediately give it much thought, beyond noticing that it definitely did not fit his 'style', such as it was.

Anyway, cutting to the chase.....it turned out that the guy happened to be one of the principals of a major international advertising agency (I will not mention the name, but many would recognize it instantly) & he had just stopped into the store to take a break from working on 1 of his several Ferraris (into which we later loaded the first $20k worth of a $62k audio system).

So I guess the moral of the story is you cannot judge a book by its cover (unless you take a peek at the inside flap).

It;s true what V says jFreeman, you have to look the part. Surely no one should be judged by looks to determine what social class level they belong to, but this is the world we live in. So if you step out of just an ordinary car like a _______ and not something with more class, more often than not you won't be fooling anyone, aside from those who may think it's a stolen gen.

The only thing that can work to your favor when not "looking the part" is ingorance, and how common it is to find yourself surrounded by poeple who only associate the brand Rolex as an expensive watch and have little if any idea what brand/price watch is on your wrist (assuming it is gen or rep)

Unfortunately, this describes 90% of all Americans at any given time.

Maybe 95% in south florida. I think it's the sun................

@freddy: Yes, you make a good point. The way you carry yourself has everything to do with everything. Much more than who would believe you have a genuine watch.

So I guess the moral of the story is you cannot judge a book by its cover (unless you take a peek at the inside flap).

I think I've told this story before, but here goes again.

Parents and I were in Maison Chanel's main shop in Paris when I was twelve. In walks in a youngish looking man wearing ripped jeans, a stained-looking old t-shirt, and I do believe, flip-flops with socks. He had longish, unkempt hair.

I found him fascinating because as I grew up, I realised that Maison Chanel and places of that sort do not let people who look like him, inside. The manager approaches you very discretely, and tells you some story about Arab Royalty being present and security is tight at present. Most people get the hint and amscray.

But Mr. Hippy walzed right in.

The vendeuses treated him like an amoeba. No one wanted to wait on him, but he kept at it, whilst dad and I watched him waiting for my mother to finish in the fitting rooms.

He finished shopping. The vendeuse handed him the bill, and he proceeded to take out...no, not a platinum AmEx. Not a gold Visa.

He took out from his ripped up jeans pocket a WAD OF HUNDREDS that could choke a horse. I'll give the woman credit. She didn't drop her jaw, like my twelve-year old self. She barely batted an eyelid.

As he left, she gave him a slightly less chilly smile. She still wasn't amused. But damn, she must've been impressed that this young American could buy and sell her dismal shark-face twice over.

(Just for you Puggy!)

I have an American friend whose dad used to be head of Cardiology at the most prestigious hospital in Miami. He was a waiter at Swensen's (a local TGIF Friday's), and drove around in a beat-up 1992 Corolla (stick).

His dad was worth millions and they lived in a mansion, but he looked and acted like he wouldn't know a Franck Muller from a Frank Sinatra.

Not exactly sure why Americans act like this, but though I often judge a book by its cover, regarding pricey watches, I can read a person fairly well.

Some people are just not into the whole palavah of being rich. That's fine too.

@JFreeman: It's 6 PM, around 86F and muggy where I am south of you. Just went downstairs to get our post. Our lobby faces the open air, and though the ocean breeze cools it, I still got my t-shirt soaked to the skin with perspiration. I have to take another shower. Ugh. Small wonder people dress as they do in SoFla! Small price to pay, though, for paradise. :)