When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Riveted Bracelet

Mark Eleven

After reading Stephane's near miss with his broken riveted bracelet, I'm beginning to have doubt on my DRSD's riveted bracelet.

How strong is the riveted bracelet under constant daily wear? Anyone here has worn their vintage toys with riveted bracelet daily for a long time?

Edited by Mark Eleven

Even if it does not fall apart (& most of them do), I replace the rep riveted bracelets with either a standard hollow middle link rep Oyster bracelet (many of which look very close to the gen versions) or a gen folded link bracelet. All the riveted rep bracelets I have seen make an otherwise good rep look like a cheap 'fake' to me. The links are too short, the 'metal' is flimsy & poorly made (which is why the bracelet usually binds & breaks so quickly) & the 'rivets' look fake.

If the rep makers did make a folded link bracelet, I am sure they would find some way to screw it up (remember the rule -- Every rep must be made with at least 1 glaring mistake). They would make them out of steel-plated tin or they would make the links too short (as they do with all the riveted bracelet links) or they would fold them incorrectly. Whatever they made, I am sure the real thing would remain the better option.

And, still, I ask myself the same question -- how hard can it be?

I don't really trust the riveted bands on a daily worn watch. I have a couple but they're on watches like my "no cg" Sub rep that rarely sees any wrist time.

Spidel used to offer a folded Oyster in their catalog. I ordered one along with a Jubilee for my gen Datejust about 10 years ago. Granted the folded Oyster is not 100% correct, it's good enough for me. It's going on my 5513 when its done.

Loctite is the answer to all your woes. Use the permanent one, not semi-permanent!

Check screws each time you strap on the watch.

I regret selling my OEM to Panerai153 a long time ago.

Hey, Mr.P153, if you still have it, perhaps you'd like to sell it back to me :D