When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Missed a bargain?

dieselpower

Hi all,

I missed out on buying a gen1530 movement for $520, was this a bargain? What do you think? If it was and the buyer was a fellow member then congratulations - I forgot to set my alarm clock to wake me up for the end of the auction. I had no idea what they are worth anyway so I didn't bid.

Oh well, next time.....

Cheers

Hi all,

I missed out on buying a gen1530 movement for $520, was this a bargain? What do you think? If it was and the buyer was a fellow member then congratulations - I forgot to set my alarm clock to wake me up for the end of the auction. I had no idea what they are worth anyway so I didn't bid.

Oh well, next time.....

Cheers

I think I was watching the same thing, I expected it to go to 800 or so. Thats the butterfly movement with 18000 bph, good for a vintage sub. I have no use for it but I watch them just in case, I think cleaned up it would have been worth between $800 and $1100. I've seen non working ones go for that, it just depends on who is looking at the time really, but even so the ebay market value is very consistent. Now that I think of it, the 1530 is non-date, the 1535 is worth a little more. Either way, IMHO, it was a deal. It may have not gone high enough because of the bridge marked 1556.....People don't like that stuff.

Now my question.....can a 1530 be converted to a date movement? I see indentations that look like maybe they would accept the mechanism, but I'm not privvy enough on watchmaking to know if thats even possible.

$530 for a 1530 isn't a bad price, but you always have to add in the cost of a service, say $200, and parts above that if required. S&H brings you to around $750- about par for the course. 1575's run in the $900-1000 and once again, add in the service. If you want a date movement, buy a date movt- don't think you can convert unless you're a watchmaker w/ a stash of parts, because it's not cost efffective.

$530 for a 1530 isn't a bad price, but you always have to add in the cost of a service, say $200, and parts above that if required. S&H brings you to around $750- about par for the course. 1575's run in the $900-1000 and once again, add in the service. If you want a date movement, buy a date movt- don't think you can convert unless you're a watchmaker w/ a stash of parts, because it's not cost efffective.
Good advice, couldn't have put it better myself. Unfortunately there are no short cuts and bargains are as rare as hens' teeth.

The last thing you want to do is buy a movement for $500 plus shipping then find out it needs a $200 service and $400 in parts to make it keep time properly.... even then theres always the chance the movement trashed or all rusted inside.. always be careful when something thats worth $1000 is selling for $500... there's probably a reason for it. buyer beware.