When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Chance encounter with a Daytona lover

rek001

This is what happened to me last night.

I was waiting for the elevator in my condo building when my neighbor, a guy who lives down the hall gets on. I say hi and flash a brief smile at him and he barely mumbles a response in my direction. For some reason he doesn't care for me, I've seen him having a nice conversation with others but never myself and my girlfriend when we run into him. OK, whatever.

So we're on the elevator and he glances at my wrist and says "may I see your wrist?" (uh oh)

I'm sporting a new rep Daytona Black Widow from tonyxkf at cqout.com, it actually looks pretty nice but the large seconds hand is always active (it's an automatic), this watch cost me a whopping $60.

He gives a long, low whistle (now I'm panicking) and says "I really want a Daytona so much, I keep bidding on eBay but they get bid up so high, that is such a beautiful watch!"

Now comes the moment of truth - what should I say?

I quickly think, "should I tell him it's a rep, and he should save his money and buy one from Joshty or someone?"

or

"Oh, so now he's all super nice and friendly to me since I'm wearing something he wants".

Well, I decided not to enlighten him to the wonderful world of reps, I dunno, the guy has been a pretty snooty jerk when we've run into him.

So I just said "thanks, I really love this watch, I think the Daytona is the classic chrono, good luck with your eBay bidding".

We parted ways, so now the guy thinks we are super rich or just insane to buy a $23,000 watch.

I"m curious, what would you have done in my situation?

Yeah, Corgi, I'm sure he didn't notice the seconds hand running, otherwise he would have made a comment like "oh, you run the chrono constantly?"

Also, he stumbled over pronouncing the word "chronograph", so I know he wasn't a knowledgeable Daytona fan.

I've seen him wearing a Cartier Roadster, so the guy is into nicer watches, obviously.

I think this would have been a nice opportunity to expose someone to the fab world of reps, if he'd been a nicer, more friendly type of guy. But I got the impression he would have sneered at me if I'd told him it was a rep. Too bad for him.

As he's been a jerk to you in the past, then no reason for letting him in on the inside track ;) As mentioned, some fan if he didn't recognize the running seconds, but, as has been mentioned before, many gen owners simply don't know anything about the watches themselves beyond the branding, so I'd say the encounter went pretty well :)

Also, a fine choice of dealer, I now order all my watches from Tony, unless there's something specific I want and he can't source. Absolutely fantastic person to do business with, I couldn't speak more highly about him :)

RIMA, first, LOVE THE STORY!

I've rarely seen you speak of your life, save for snippets about your cats and what-not, so this is as much insight about you as it is about him. ;)

-- The way you think, your writing skills in telling a story, the framing of the story, and how we handle moral dilemmas are all neatly revealed in these types of stories. --

You already know my answer because it's nearly unanimous above:

Why should you tell that jerk anything?

He's obviously interested in watches if he has a Roadster and is bidding on Daytonas, but he can't pronounce chronograph right, and doesn't know better about the seconds hand in a watch he's willing to plunk down $$$ on eBay? Please.

That's not a watch hobbyist. He's just INTO watches.

And after he gives you the courtesy of exchanging pleasantries ONLY after seeing you have a pricey watch, you should bare your soul to him? Never. Some other person, some other time.

You did well.

I realise you said your gf is a "poor little heathen" once regarding Daytonas, but what did she have to say about his sudden interest? Did she agree about not revealing the secret? :)

But I got the impression he would have sneered at me if I'd told him it was a rep.

Without question. If he doesn't like you for reasons one suspects, he already thinks you're on thin ice as a person. This knoweldge of the rep world would give him ammo, possibly to do some mischief with the condo president, in spreading rumours etc.

If you think I'm being too cynical, perhaps. But my condo is a nest of vipers. You can't be too careful, Rima. :p

I think what makes me a bit uncomfortable about this encounter is mis-representing myself, making it appear that I can afford a watch like this. Although it doesn't bother me too much, cause this guy's not very nice. But the guy knows exactly how much this Daytona costs. My GF is a doctor and between us we make a decent living, but not THAT decent.

I know this topic has been covered before, I was just not ready to have to respond to someone who knows the cost of the genuine. I guess I'm asking for it, walking around wearing fake watches that cost over $20K.

@TeeJay

Ever since the cost of the high quality reps has gone up, I've got my fix by buying some remarkably nice reps from Tony: an AP ROO, a PO chrono, a TT Navi, and now the BW Daytona, average cost: $85 shipped. LOVE IT!

But, I'm thinking of splurging on a Chopard GMT chrono as my Christmas watch present from my GF, or the Slevin if it ever comes out.

I think what makes me a bit uncomfortable about this encounter is mis-representing myself, making it appear that I can afford a watch like this. Although it doesn't bother me too much, cause this guy's not very nice. But the guy knows exactly how much this Daytona costs. My GF is a doctor and between us we make a decent living, but not THAT decent.

OH COME ON.

First, if your gf is a doctor, the sky's the limit with people's imaginations about your earning power.

Yeah, I too know ER physicians who earn $48,000 p/a (usually foreigners from India or the Phillipines), but when theoretically you can be a multi-millionaire in the US as a medical doctor, that's the only fact people hone on.

EDIT: Oops. Made a leap of imagination that you're in the US. But even in other countries, physicians are always thought to be financially well set-up.

I know this topic has been covered before, I was just not ready to have to respond to someone who knows the cost of the genuine. I guess I'm asking for it, walking around wearing fake watches that cost over $20K.

Possibly. This was a good testing ground for you, as you mull your future reaction. Remember, life like baseball is situational. Tell your parents? Sure. Tell your co-workers? Maybe. Tell someone who doesn't wish you well? No. :p

@TeeJay

Ever since the cost of the high quality reps has gone up, I've got my fix by buying some remarkably nice reps from Tony: an AP ROO, a PO chrono, a TT Navi, and now the BW Daytona, average cost: $85 shipped. LOVE IT!

When Tony bothered to reply to me, 2 weeks later, he sent me nonsensical emails, and I just got a funny feeling about him. Certainly my personality is not about waiting, or being in the dark about the transaction. It ALL depends on one's personality.

Glad to see it's turned out well for you both. :)

I go to Jay-Silix for my cheapos, and though there is some problem, sometimes, he does right by me all the time.

But, I'm thinking of splurging on a Chopard GMT chrono as my Christmas watch present from my GF, or the Slevin if it ever comes out.

I thought she didn't like watches? That's some good stuff there! ;)

For Christmas for my boyfriend, I'm thinking not of the Slevin but the brown Mercedes Tag Heuer which Pix has, and whose pics were the sole reason I'm interested in getting it. He's seen it already, and loves it.

Under the circumstances, I think you did the right thing. People who put the effort into perusing ebay in search of an expensive gen are not going to appreciate your rep, no matter how much you chat it up or how beautiful it may (at first) appear (prior to an admonition that it is in fact a 'fake').

And I do not know how many times this has to be repeated, but the average gen buyer/owner knows little or nothing about watches (and I am speaking of watches in general, not just the Daytona). This guy has only a vague idea what a Daytona looks like (from a few grainy pictures he saw in the Wall Street Journal or after catching a few glimpses of one of Donny Deutsch's). The only thing he knows for sure is that alot of people with alot of money seem to be flashing them around & for that reason alone, he MUST own one too. This is exactly the type of guy who gets ripped off by scammers selling fakes and frankens on ebay, because he spends his time making the money required to buy a gen instead of spending his time learning about them. Rarely, do people have the time (or inclination) to do both.

This guy has only a vague idea what a Daytona looks like (from a few grainy pictures he saw in the Wall Street Journal or after catching a few glimpses of one of Donny Deutsch's).

LOL! Donnie Deutsch reference. Only you, Freddy. Had it been me, I would've mentioned some obscure German princess I once met. :good:

This is exactly the type of guy who gets ripped off by scammers selling fakes and frankens on ebay, because he spends his time making the money required to buy a gen instead of spending his time learning about them. Rarely, do people have the time (or inclination) to do both.

See, this is a good point, and it raises a lot of issues.

What if Rima were not an honourable person, but an out-and-out scammer. Would someone like that have offered to sell it to him with papers, for a "cut-rate" price, maybe after a few more "chance" encounters.

(I'm sure he would've had it appraised; or let's just say if it were a better rep, perhaps of another watch model which HAVE been known to fool even watchsmiths)

What if someone wishes you badly, and says you offered just such a deal even though you absolutely didn't, and goes to the condo president with this he-said-she-said situation?

Who would they believe -- the guy willing to plunk down $$$ for a watch, or the owner of rep watches?

That's the way the world works. Be careful out there...don't give those around you gratuitous ammunition.

Hey V, I was wondering when you were going to reply, LOL. I always take a keen interest in your posts as, you know, you and I are "special" on this forum, in a good way.

To answer your question, we live in Chicago.

Here's an interesting twist to this story. My gf is on the condo board, and this jerk is running to get on the board, elections are next week. He wants something done about the "landscaping" (cough). Little does he know that the board has its hands full wrestling with horrible issues such as court orders for evicting owners due to extreme non-payment of association fees, supremely unpleasant. He will find out soon enough.

So I tell her about what happened, and she says "oh great, now at board meetings this guy will look at me like I'm some ultra wealthy doc who can buy the gf a very expensive watch" She was mildly miffed, she doesn't like the wealthy doc label at all.

She is a remarkable person, very humble and unpretentious, and when asked, always says she works in the medical field, not specifying she's a doc, unless she's pressed about it. She doesn't like that people look at you differently after you tell them you're an MD, all they see is dollar signs. At her hospital, there are a lot of docs who all day long remind you how important they are, and how much revenue they bring in. She abhors that attitude, and is one of the truly kindest, approachable, smartest, fun, wittiest people I've ever known.

And, if that's not enough, she supports my rep hobby 1000%, 'cause she knows how much I enjoy reps and the forums. I've spent thousands on these silly watches, never a peep from her, only encouagement. Always interested in what's going on in the forums, always drily asks "so what watch are you buying next, it's been 3 days since you got the package from your chinese penpal. Aren't you overdue"? She has a few reps I've bought her, but prefers a gen DateJust I bought 6 years ago.

I lead a very charmed life, I think.

... answering your question... what should you do?... do the unexpected, show some kindness == why does everyone have to "deserve" kindness... is that what it's all about, weighing everyone up based on what they have or haven't done for you lately... isn't that what you were criticizing this poor schlub for in the first place... ??? :tu:

Hey V, I was wondering when you were going to reply, LOL. I always take a keen interest in your posts as, you know, you and I are "special" on this forum, in a good way.

I just had a call from my boyfriend, which delayed this reply. :p

And yes we're special! What's up with that lam-o Denise Gold? She should post! And Olivia! Boo.

To answer your question, we live in Chicago.

Oh of course. You had mentioned it regarding that abortive GTG!

Here's an interesting twist to this story. My gf is on the condo board, and this jerk is running to get on the board, elections are next week.

O.M.G.

He wants something done about the "landscaping" (cough).

Yeah, he wants assumed kickbacks...

Little does he know that the board has its hands full wrestling with horrible issues such as court orders for evicting owners due to extreme non-payment of association fees, supremely unpleasant. He will find out soon enough.

Few do. They just want the power. My mother was on the condo board before she resigned due to extreme corruption with builders. One ex-friend of hers made almost a million dollars, which is under Federal investigation...

So I tell her about what happened, and she says "oh great, now at board meetings this guy will look at me like I'm some ultra wealthy doc who can buy the gf a very expensive watch" She was mildly miffed, she doesn't like the wealthy doc label at all.

Aww. She sounds very level-headed and down-to-earth.

She is a remarkable person, very humble and unpretentious, and when asked, always says she works in the medical field, not specifying she's a doc, unless she's pressed about it. She doesn't like that people look at you differently after you tell them you're an MD, all they see is dollar signs. At her hospital, there are a lot of docs who all day long remind you how important they are, and how much revenue they bring in. She abhors that attitude, and is one of the truly kindest, approachable, smartest, fun, wittiest people I've ever known.

A well-matched couple, I see. :p

If she's a Midwesterner, especially from the countryside, that's how they are. They'd saw off their arm rather than put on airs. This is why I like Midwesterners the most of any American. You know where you stand with them, as a rule.

They're analogous to our Northerners in England.

(I realise I'm not like that. But as I said about NASCAR, one can truly admire what one isn't)

And, if that's not enough, she supports my rep hobby 1000%, 'cause she knows how much I enjoy reps and the forums. I've spent thousands on these silly watches, never a peep from her, only encouagement. Always interested in what's going on in the forums, always drily asks "so what watch are you buying next, it's been 3 days since you got the package from your chinese penpal. Aren't you overdue"? She has a few reps I've bought her, but prefers a gen DateJust I bought 6 years ago.

Blimey, that is generous! But I'm sure you are equally as supportive of any enthusiasm she has too, given what I can read of your personality.

"Chinese penpal", heh.

I lead a very charmed life, I think.

The life of Riley, my sweet. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

You know what, V?

You're alright in my book, thanks for the kind words. It feels very good to reveal a bit more of myself here.

I've been on these rep forums for 4 years now, and I can honestly say that there's never been a member quite like you (heh, I mean that in a positive way!)

You're a priceless addition to our forum, and I hope you're around a long time.

So, do you have a Christmas watch for yourself in mind?

You know what, V?

You're alright in my book, thanks for the kind words.

I take people as they come, Rima, with few negative preconceived ideas. It's my saving grace. :p

And also the way I was raised...anyway, thanks!!

It feels very good to reveal a bit more of myself here.

I've been on these rep forums for 4 years now, and I can honestly say that there's never been a member quite like you (heh, I mean that in a positive way!)

You're a priceless addition to our forum, and I hope you're around a long time.

Well, I'm sorry to have to say this, but it's a Mutual Appreciation Society. :lol:

And I don't even much like cats! Being a Leo and all.

But how can I be but grateful to the person who turned me on to Panerais?

So, do you have a Christmas watch for yourself in mind?

Yessum. It's the PAM 232 from Davidsen. And hopefully, TWP's PAM 005 will come in time for Turkey Day. Gobble-gobble!

More importantly, how about YOU?? What goodies have you in mind?

Oh yeah, you have no idea how proud I am every time you post another Pam or strap pic, V!

To think I had some input, well...aw gosh, shucks.

So, I think the Tag Mercedes is a great choice for your BF, on steel bracelet, I assume? Very sharp.

As for Christmas, for myself, probably the Chopard GMT chrono, white dial/black subs (panda) on steel bracelet. TWP helped to decide, he says it's his most satisfying rep.

For gf - a custom DateJust from Ruby, all SS, dark blue dial with arabics, smooth bezel, oyster bracelet -classic.

Also a few nice reps for friends and family, undecided about which models.

Oh yeah, you have no idea how proud I am every time you post another Pam or strap pic, V!

To think I had some input, well...aw gosh, shucks.

Awww. That's lovely. Like seeing one's child take their first baby steps!

Mind you, I think my parents and boyfriend took out a hit on you. :lol:

So, I think the Tag Mercedes is a great choice for your BF, on steel bracelet, I assume? Very sharp.

Check it out, Reems!

85407487uk9.jpg

Pix only just reposted it in the Wristies today, strange but true.

Andrew already said I can trade for the SS bracelet, since it comes with the cow-shaming leather rep strap instead. :thumbdown:

As for Christmas, for myself, probably the Chopard GMT chrono, white dial/black subs (panda) on steel bracelet. TWP helped to decide, he says it's his most satisfying rep.

Ahh, I sense a theme at work in your tastes. You like panda dials. Any idea why that is?

(E.g.: I like black dials with round watches, and white dials with rectangular or square-shaped watches. Haven't figured out why yet)

For gf - a custom DateJust from Ruby, all SS, dark blue dial with arabics, smooth bezel, oyster bracelet -classic.

CLASSY but also commanding. Perfect for a medical doctor, IMHO.

Also a few nice reps for friends and family, undecided about which models.

Wow. Very generous, m'lady! May I suggest a Franck Muller Crazy Hours for some wacky relative? Their kids will love it. :)

@TeeJay

I have to admit, the watches Tony sells might not be Super Reps, (although something tells me he could probably get them if he wanted to) they're still good value for money, and certainly accurate enough for my purposes of collection and self-amusement. I got an AP RO for a friend, and, although I found it a bit small (like the Submariner) it was a really nice watch, and other circumstanes, one I would have definitely have kept and worn.

When Tony bothered to reply to me, 2 weeks later, he sent me nonsensical emails, and I just got a funny feeling about him. Certainly my personality is not about waiting, or being in the dark about the transaction. It ALL depends on one's personality.

Glad to see it's turned out well for you both. :)

Out of curiousity, did you just email him 'out of the blue', or did you first make contact about a piece via the CQout question system? Could it have been somekind of miss-communication? (I do remember you saying you got some rather 'strange' ( :lol: ) responses ) From my own experiences, I can only say that I've only ever found Tony to be prompt and professional in his communications, as well as extremely accomodating when it comes to custom orders (swapping straps etc)

I go to Jay-Silix for my cheapos, and though there is some problem, sometimes, he does right by me all the time.

Total reverse for me. Nearly 12 weeks and I still haven't received the replacement dial I was promised for the shipment of the wrong vintage Rolex, nor the Jubilee band I paid for... They were promised to be delivered, but, still no sign... Of course, I know if I send an email, I'll be told "customs intercepted parcel, will resend" If that's the case, and as it shows knowledge of the parcel's location, why not just resend it anyway without the need for prompting? Sorry, but my opinion of Jay is not particularly good. Particularly not when I've dealt with another drop-shipper in the past who, although they did initially send the wrong watch, did actually correct the issue as promised, and in the promised time frame... For a watch which was only ever intended as a 'paper weight', it's not worth the runaround trying to get it sorted (afterall, I now have a nice Skeleton Sub :lol: ) but in terms of business practice, it's not very good... :(

Edited by TeeJay

It's all about chemistry with each collector, TeeJay, you know that. :)

Tony and I didn't hit it off, and I tried my best to chase after him (including doing as you say, contacting him via Cquot). But then I thought, he has practically the same items that Narikaa has -- and I trust the latter 100%. I didn't see the benefits for a savings of U$20 in Tony's case.

Jay is problematic, though he has sworn up and down that he checks each and every item using his staff before shipping items to me. I'm afraid that can't be the case, since how can you miss DOA watches?, but at least he's taken care of ME each time.

Again, one has to establish a rapport.

I recently dealt with Wackobirdkeeper, and am continuing my dalliance with TWP. I think I'm good for now. :)

It's all about chemistry with each collector, TeeJay, you know that. :)

Absolutely, I understand what you mean, but, at the end of the day, dealers should provide a uniform service to all their clients, not good deals for 'the Cool Kids', bad deals for the others...

Tony and I didn't hit it off, and I tried my best to chase after him (including doing as you say, contacting him via Cquot). But then I thought, he has practically the same items that Narikaa has -- and I trust the latter 100%. I didn't see the benefits for a savings of U$20 in Tony's case.

That's fair enough, at the end of the day, it's who you're comfortable doing business with. Something I forgot to mention in my last post, as a response to your point about delays in communication from Tony (which again, I've never really experienced), I'd have to use as an example, the dealer I bought the VCO from. Other than giving me feedback as a fast payer, they did not give me any other kind of communication at all. No tracking number, no "Thaks for the purchase..." etc. But, the watch arrived within the promised time frame, and we both know how nice it is :D I guess my point is that instant communication from a dealer isn't always a requirement for them shipping the goods as promised :)

Jay is problematic, though he has sworn up and down that he checks each and every item using his staff before shipping items to me. I'm afraid that can't be the case, since how can you miss DOA watches?, but at least he's taken care of ME each time.

Now that, is precicely the kind of thing that puts me off Jay right away. As a drop-shipper, it is impossible for him to check the watches, and, as my X-33 showed, (and your mention of DOA watches) 'his staff' don't really do much of a job in that aspect either. Maybe not lies like "Yes, my friend, that watch is waterproof" *puts watch under water... Condensation...* but still lies, and I think you appreciate the premium I place on honesty :)

Again, one has to establish a rapport.

I recently dealt with Wackobirdkeeper, and am continuing my dalliance with TWP. I think I'm good for now. :)

Indeed, as you say, at the end of the day, it's about establishing a rapport and who you feel comfortable doing business with. I'm planning on having TWP 'plume' my PVD PAM when it arrives, and I've found him a nice person to communicate with :)

Absolutely, I understand what you mean, but, at the end of the day, dealers should provide a uniform service to all their clients, not good deals for 'the Cool Kids', bad deals for the others...

What, I'm not one of the Cool Kids!

I'm the girl in a corner, shyly reading a book. Mind you I WAS Head Girl of my school, but that's just because I bribed everyone else with free Smarties.

What, I'm not one of the Cool Kids! :lol::lol:

You're definitely one of the Cool Kids, and this is why you get good service from the recommended dealers :lol: Remember, on RWG, you don't choose Dealer, Dealer chooses you :lol:

I'm the girl in a corner, shyly reading a book. Mind you I WAS Head Girl of my school, but that's just because I bribed everyone else with free Smarties.

Such political machinations :lol: I was asked to be captain of my year's football team, but refused as I hated playing, yet ironically, was an excellent player :lol: I think the only PE I enjoyed at school was swimming and trampolining (although hockey wasn't too bad)