When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Mystery Vintage Quiz!

docblackrock

Anyone have an idea what the moral of this thread is yet???

The moral of the story is, if you have any of these, when you sell it on Fleabay...make sure your reserve price is at least $150 USD (or $100 CDN)... :p

I am in utter awe at the knowledge here. As a noob, I would ask from folks like Nanuq the Master of Mushers to think out loud more on what they are doing to make their attributions so I can figure out what you guys are looking at.

Compare the indices and lack of "DATE" with my newest find. I say mine is the new dial configuration, indices resized and ready, BEFORE they actually added the gold surrounds.
Ah, unfair advantage again - we've talked about your GMT before haven't we? Didn't I find that confirmation on an identical piece? (do you have that thread link by chance?)

But actually Nanuq's piece is not the same as this in any aspect, model, age etc. ;)

So WHAT is it? Rep, franken or gen? Another clue or red herring (you decide :D) - anyone notice the datefont?

picture15tk7.png

Thought you'd drool at that, but look, no matte dial and it wasn't a faded Pepsi insert :D

OK time to spill the beans since I've noticed....wow.....this is in fact my 2000th post :blink: Don't worry though, no musings on the meaning of life for me ;)

I sort of gave it away at the end there although it was worth it if only to prove even Nanuq's expertise can sometimes be fooled - crack for WIS's indeed :lol:

So this is what I gave you...

picture15tk7.png

And then showed you a 'Sophia' GMT, much more believable. Notice the similarity?

picture12oq6.png

Well, these two are actually the SAME MODEL, SAME YEAR!!! 16760 - GMTII first series, 1983 - yep that's right folks no 'DATE' after "OYSTER PERPETUAL' ;) Not used to seeing that are we? Still a slight difference in dial text font though, even within the same year, you just have to ignore the contrasting conditions of both.

All the pieces shown here are GENUINE. But they are almost unheard of and some detail or other will just look wrong to most peoples' eyes. The moral of this thread is therefore this - there is NO right or wrong and never assume anything. No matter what you think you know, Rolex will just kick you in the backside every time. Their approach to the evolution of their models and parts/service swapouts just beggars belief :blink:. Unbelievably haphazard and amateurish, something like this perhaps...

"...hey Siegfried, I neet unt dial for zis GMT....vhat do you av in your drawer?....

(*sounds of rummaging about, bits being discarded*)

"....oh ok, zat looks like it vill fit, who care novone vill know anyhows...danke mein heren."

"Siegfried vat is dial you geev me? You see it von't feet. For moment lend me file, eh?"

(*sounds of a vice and a flat file being worked around a dial*)

"Darn, look Siegfried, a ring is come off. Ah vell, we take dem ALL off now! Hand me pliers please"

:lol:

Hope you enjoyed this trail of breadcrumbs - for me, this is exactly what makes vintage Rolex such fun.

cheers

Doc

Talking of COMEX, I love that diver's quote....you know the one who said that most commercial divers would not wear them in the water, to the extent that the watches were cynically renamed as "CabinDwellers" :lol:

But what got me (in the :blink: sense) was the fact that these guys say they were led to believe that these COMEX 5514s were somehow inferior to "proper" Rolex's - a perception that led to many of these watches changing hands in bars and poker games for as little as $100!!! :blink:

I love that diver's quote....you know the one who said that most commercial divers would not wear them in the water,

Doc,

Another old divers quote, (and it applies to self as well)

"There are old divers, and there are bold divers.... but there aren't any old, bold divers"

Maybe the old guys were on to something? :rolleyes:

Offshore

Hmmm, now THERE's an IDEA!!!

Delta >>>> :cry:

Mwahahahaha........

:mellow:

But what got me (in the :blink: sense) was the fact that these guys say they were led to believe that these COMEX 5514s were somehow inferior to "proper" Rolex's - a perception that led to many of these watches changing hands in bars and poker games for as little as $100!!! :blink:

hmm...maybe i should tell oli that he should know his comex isn't a REAL rolex and i'd be happy to pay half what he's asking :lol:

deltatahoe