When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

double AR on a pam screams fake to me

frankpower88

yes, when i look at pam pics on ebay or elsewhere, i never see blue tint on crystal, i always see some reflections on it. dont get me wrong, i love watches with double AR. i have a sfso and a bce. but, i somehow love to see reflections on my pams. am i the only one? here are some pics i took on the bay. every one of them come from power sellers who only sell gens.

IMG_8604.jpg

IMG_7347.jpg

IMG_7344.jpg

3f07_1.jpg

75050058_o.jpg

ok, i know that watches with super AR look beautifull but not always a good reflection of the gens they copy.

when almost everybody here want to have the most perfect reps, i think that all the AR quest is becoming more important than it is for gen watches.

some of us here have enough money to buy very expensive gens, in that case, is the AR a considaration? or should we buy watches we love even if they dont have double AR? it seems that double AR is one of the most important things in rep world today.

what i say in this topic is ONLY MY OPINION, and i know i can be wrong.

yes, of course so everybody would think its fake ;)

you probably would send your rolex for a double AR too :huh:

On particular models, having double AR on a Pam crystal wouldn't be that big a departure from the real watch. I don't think Panerai and Rolex can be considered similar in that way. Degree of AR coating, if already there, is not that 'conspicuous'.

See that's just it... I don't care what everybody thinks. I do what I like. What do you say to the many owners of gen watches who purposely strip the outer AR coating off because that's what they like? I say to each his own.

I agree with frankpower88. We are talking here about reps, so their main attributes should be to get as much close to the gen as possible. Personal tastes here can play only if you like a genuine watch or not, as a rep is and have to be just an accurate copy of it.

When you change a rep so it get totally or partly different to its genuine cousin, you are getting just a bad rep, not a more tasteful watch.

what would you get if you put a radiomir crown in a IWC cousteau, with Superocean's hands ? maybe a beautiful watch (who knows, there are tastes of all kinds), but a very silly rep.

I agree with frankpower88. We are talking here about reps, so their main attributes should be to get as much close to the gen as possible. Personal tastes here can play only if you like a genuine watch or not, as a rep is and have to be just an accurate copy of it.

When you change a rep so it get totally or partly different to its genuine cousin, you are getting just a bad rep, not a more tasteful watch.

what would you get if you put a radiomir crown in a IWC cousteau, with Superocean's hands ? maybe a beautiful watch (who knows, there are tastes of all kinds), but a very silly rep.

I believe thinking like this is what separates Watch Nut from the general Gen watch owners.

A watch nut will put a cheap looking NATO strap on his Submariner, no matter whether it's a Gen or Rep BECAUSE HE LIKES IT AND UNDERSTANDS THE HISTORICAL BACKGROUND.

You may say, but...but...but I KNOW LV Subs are not a historical NATO strap wearing model, etc. It does not matter.

There are Gen owners who would NEVER send their waches for repair outside tr Rolex network, while there are families who have owned Rolex for generations who would never go to Rolex once outside warranty.

There are Gen owners who have custom dials made for their Rolex and get what they want.

Who is going to do a 'standing wrist check' on a Rolex and seeing a non-factory dial, call him out (in your mind) as a a Rep?

Paneristi are sometimes better, sometmes worse in this. Again the level of WIS'ism usually determines the attitude. Some would damm you for having a on OEM strap, while others will customize to their hart desires. It Is Their Watch.

I agree the quest for the perfect rep is to match a Factory Fresh look, but one can not loose sight that once we mod away faults (shitzerland, oficine, wrong crown guards, ie OEM looking parts that are off) we CAN, if truly WIS mod as a Gen owner could to personalize and make the piece truly ours.

A custom modded rep is an owner's pride, not "just a bad rep".

It's a watch, not a Picasso.

It's just boogles the mind. You would buy a watch, be it a $200 Seiko diver, a $400 modded PAM Rep or a Gen multi thou anything and if you were bothered by an easily fixed feature (or lack there of) you would put it away, 'live with it' or sell it rather than customize it to make it 'better for YOU'.

Jeezz.