When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Movies

Victoria

He was rather good in Educating Rita as well. Not a lot of people know that.

Agreed.

Not a huge Michael Caine fan (as in actor) but I thought he was very decent in Educating Rita, and was fantastic in Hannah and her Sisters. Being a football fan, though he was fairly wooden in this film (so was everyone else, including incredibly Max von Sydow), I loved him in Victory.

He fills a niche in the character actor genre which is fast disappearing...

P.S.: Never seen it, but dad says he liked him in Zulu. Heh.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched a preview of Beowulf on Monday and have mixed feelings about it.

The 'hook' of 3D isn't played up very much in the trailers or the poster material, I don't know if the maker/producers were thinking people would be put off by the gimmick or not but to be honest this was probably the best part of it for me.

ACK! That is a shame, but I appreciate the tip, H&P!

I was hoping it was as over-the-top as "300", which I adored. I read a few lines into your review, but ironically, in my contract I have a clause which says I cannot go into a film I will be reviewing, having been exposed to previous reviews. :p

I BELIEVE this is one of those films, for a South American paper, although I haven't formally been informed. It debuts a week after the US one in that country.

I'm still rather excited though. As it is, due to my cold, I might have to watch the screener rather than go to the cinemas. Sucks. :-/

Then you should see it... Not very similar to the Death of Mr. Lazarescu.. This one had better performances from the actors but the feeling of 12:08 leaves a more easy to swallow story, not so tiring and with better cinematography.

Yes, Lazarescu is one of those grainy, gritty films which make foreign film buffs go into paroxysms of delight. I'm always amused when that happens, although I'm not suggesting it wasn't a worthy (in fact, a needed) effort. It shows a new maturity in Romanian cinema, which excites me.

I was already excited about Caranfil's "Filantropica", which you perhaps watched, but now, the sky is the limit. Yay!

Also that's the problem with different cultures.. Something is comedy to one and maybe be drama to another.

Definitely. Still, no one would confuse "Pixote" with a comedy, though it's very funny at times. :p

I have to dissapoint you a bit here but unfortunately I do not trust film critics a lot..

Darling, nor do I! Except, well, as a kind of mental masturbation, the same kind of joy to be found in reading reviews about say, a Vacheron Constantin on a rep forum group. You know the thing -- something which is of infinite interest to people who love that sort of thing, but would possibly have others scratching their heads.

But in this day and age, where a ticket costs so much, far more in Europe than in the US, your average non-cinephile needs a bare-bones guide to each potential film. I'm sure you can agree about that, yes?

In things that I tend to develop my own opinion this is the only opinion I take into consideration. Nothing is bad or good before I see it myself.. ;)

See above. ;)

Darjeeling Limited was excellent if you're a Wes Anderson fan,

SORTA. ^_^

He's a bit mannered as a director. A whimsical David Mamet, if you will...

Yes, I have Darjeeling Limited queued, but just for personal enjoyment. :)

EDIT: He is a very well-dressed man, and is known for his nattiness in fact. I have been trying to find out if he's into watches, without luck.

Fred Claus was cute for a holiday movie,

Good. I'll watch it happily with my parents then. I am always suspicious when critics trash this kind of film.

EDIT: Queen Latifah's "Last Holiday" being a case in point. Critics thought it was just quaint even silly, but I thought it hit precisely the mark it aimed. Nice watch sightings too.

and American Gangster was probably the best of the bunch with the exception of Russell Crowe's poor rendition of a New York cop.

Heh. Yes, not his best effort then, though there were moments towards the end (as a prosecution attorney cutting a deal) where he was very effective. But as you say, not as a cop.

It's too bad that the DVD rip of American Gangster leaked before it came out in the theaters, or else I'm sure it would have made quite a bit more at the box office. Not bad for me, but you know what I mean...

A DVD-rip! Ah right. That is possible, since it's award season soon. A connection over at Paramount told me they are trying to dig the mole who is leaking these kinds of DVDs. They are apparently close...(scary shark music). ;)

Personally, though not a fan of conspiracy theories, I say it's done calculatedly by some.

Just saw "things we lost in the fire" by Danish Susanne Bier. It wasn't as good as some of her other ones (f.x. after the wedding), but it sure made a point. Halle Berry was great (though I liked her performance better in monster's ball) and del Toro was (and is) fantastic. I know it hasn't gotten too great reviews in the States... you should see it anyway.

If 'American Gangter' is classed as an exceptionally good film in the current climate then clearly I am not missing much by not seeing many modern films. I watched this last night (admittedly on a plasma screen - so I am only half qualified to comment) and what can I say. It's a fairly good film. Not great - by a long chalk, but acceptable. Will I remember it in ten years as being something special - probably not. Will you?

Far too many people who enjoy watching dvd's in the comfort of their own home think that their opinion is valid purely because they have seen lots of dvd's. The same is true of music, some people who listen to the radio all day think they are experts in music. Of course one usually only realises ones ignorance when it is pointed out - usually by another person, and even then it takes a fair amount of humility to admit ones shortcomings and that often makes people uncomfortable and is therefore avoided.

Finally I would like to make one point. If you have seen a film on a small screen with a small audience (I am specifically talking about a domestic environment) you have not viewed it properly and are not qualified to comment with certainty. If that film experience is not significantly altered by seeing it in a proper environment ie a decent sized cinema then the film has in some way failed. Try watching 2001: A Space Odyssey on a mobile 'phone - get my drift?

If 'American Gangter' is classed as an exceptionally good film in the current climate then clearly I am not missing much by not seeing many modern films. I watched this last night (admittedly on a plasma screen - so I am only half qualified to comment) and what can I say. It's a fairly good film. Not great - by a long chalk, but acceptable. Will I remember it in ten years as being something special - probably not. Will you?

You said it well. The current climate. As you know, the run of "Oscar-contention", or "serious", or "art-house" films starts about a month after we have folded up the beach umbrellas, shaken the sand from sandals, and the Cape Cod clambakes are but a mouth-savouring dream.

In short, mid-September. Or just about when the Bourne Ultimatum was breathing its last summer movie gasp.

We've just hit the 2 month mark from that. And yes, this is one of the best films of the bunch so far. Fortunately, we've a very rich month and a half to go.

2007 is particularly strange, because as I hinted before about summer blockbusters, it has seen a crop of excellent films in the early part of the year.

Volker mentioned one earlier:

The Lives of Others. However, this debuted in 2006, and only did so in the States in 2007.

Two more along those lines which are unmissable are:

Once

This is England

(As someone who worked, possibly loved living in Ireland, you'll enjoy "Once" if you haven't seen it yet)

That's 3 quality films of 2007 which are better than American Gangster.

But wait! As Ron Popeil says, there's more!

Away from Her (a Canadian film) received amazing reviews. As did The Waitress. Zodiac was an early favourite with me and other critics, and that was ALL the way back in March -- usually the lean months when such colossal cinematic work like Hostel is released.

What of Eastern Promises, which triumphed with The Folks at the ever-prominent Toronto Film Festival?

The problem is, these types of films are not the kinds most average middle-class people (of any country) will see, with the exception of Zodiac.

That doesn't mean you don't have to miss them yourself, though. Sadly, you'll have to break your own advice yet again to watch any of these films, since they're all out on DVD.

I suppose since you feel that is not acceptable to your viewing appreciation, you'll refuse, and walk away from 2007 without having done so.

Much the poorer as an amateur film critic because of it. But ah well, standards eh?

Shame you can't take that controversial little Polish director's dictum to heart, that cinema should make you forget you are sitting in a theatre.

Just saw "things we lost in the fire" by Danish Susanne Bier. It wasn't as good as some of her other ones (f.x. after the wedding), but it sure made a point. Halle Berry was great (though I liked her performance better in monster's ball) and del Toro was (and is) fantastic. I know it hasn't gotten too great reviews in the States... you should see it anyway.

Cool, thanks Volker! :tu:

One of the completely unforseen coincidences, which I somehow believe made this already discrete film flop with the audiences, was that it was released at exactly the time the fires were destroying homes in California.

I think the deceptive title and the fact that Halle Berry's star has been on the way down with the American public for a while, made it disappear on the screens faster than you can say, "I'd like to thank my lawyer".

Okay, here's my dilemma. What to watch today?

I'm going to be more active soon, as my cold is almost gone. So today and tomorrow, I've set myself the goal of 2 films, minimum.

I have just received Stardust from my agent (yay!).

I have Things We Lost in A Fire available (though I would have to hunt for it).

But I'm curious of Darjeeling Limited, as well as DBR's suggestion of Elizabeth: The Golden Age (all of whom I have as screeners).

I gave you some (perhaps unwanted) pieces of film advice. Now it's your turn to return the favour. ;)

Pick two films for me to see first, guys! TIA. :p

Aaaah, search hard enough and you will at last find common ground. I saw This Is England earlier this year. As I have previously mentioned I watch films at home through a projector with a fairly sophisticated sound system - it is the closest thing I can get to the cinema experience at home. Anyway, This Is England - very good film indeed. I would like to see Shane Meadows tackle a subject that is outside his comfort zone. If he can do this and make a good job of whatever he choses I think he has the potential to become a seriously good film maker. Oh, I have a dvd copy of The Lives of Others but have not watched it yet. Thanks for the other recommendations I will put in the effort to see them. By the way I was driving in London the other day and was behind a white rolls royce with the registration '007' a friend said it was Roger Moore's car. Does anyone know if this is true?

Aaaah, search hard enough and you will at last find common ground. I saw This Is England earlier this year.

There we go. A link to the mind and heart at last! ;)

I believe it was you, wasn't it, who mentioned This is England in a previous film thread. Either you or Fitmic.

As I have previously mentioned I watch films at home through a projector with a fairly sophisticated sound system - it is the closest thing I can get to the cinema experience at home.

I am totally jealous! Actually, my boyfriend spends hours on forums similar to this, but their topic is home theatre construction. One night, we spoke over the phone for yonks, pouring over photos of people's theatres in the making -- from the foundations, the installation of the projectors, and speakers, to final decorative touches.

It's our plan, should we marry, for him to build me one so we can invite friends over to watch movies, properly. We're going to call it the Coral Gables Odeon. :)

Anyway, This Is England - very good film indeed. I would like to see Shane Meadows tackle a subject that is outside his comfort zone. If he can do this and make a good job of whatever he choses I think he has the potential to become a seriously good film maker.

Couldn't agree more. How did he find young master Turgoose?? Spectacular.

Oh, I have a dvd copy of The Lives of Others but have not watched it yet. Thanks for the other recommendations I will put in the effort to see them. By the way I was driving in London the other day and was behind a white rolls royce with the registration '007' a friend said it was Roger Moore's car. Does anyone know if this is true?

On putting "007 automobile registration Roger Moore" as my search string, all I could find out was this:

http://www.mi6.co.uk/sections/movies/lald_...lald&t=lald

"The registration number on the back of Bond's wristwatch is 3266"

Heh.

Just watched "La Vie En Rose", the biopic about the French singer Edith Piaf, who was called the soul of Paris. Her short life of 47 years was an amazing story and this movie was quite wonderful.

Just watched "La Vie En Rose", the biopic about the French singer Edith Piaf, who was called the soul of Paris. Her short life of 47 years was an amazing story and this movie was quite wonderful.

NICE! Thanks Hambone. I agreed, despite it being sad (as one can imagine).

There is also a compilation of famous directors' montages of love, called "Paris, je t'aime". Uneven stories, some, but others are just solid gold. I loved the one with the Muslim girl and the French boy.