When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken Rolex Sea-Dweller 16660 (yes, triple 6's)

Guest chronomat123

Guest chronomat123

Got a super SeaDweller from Angus. Watch looks great, but it is too much like my gen 14060 Sub.

I contacted a source for aftermarket dials and he can source me a "16660" triple six dial. So when I manage to score some free time over winter break, I am toying with the idea of adding a high quality aftermarket 16660 dial.

The 16660 is my favorite transitional Rolex, using the modern sapphire crystal case with lugholes but the dial of the older 1665 Great Whites. The only difference on the dials of the 1665 and the 16660 is that the depth designation on the latter is the modern "4000ft=1220m."

My only concern on this project is that the super SeaDweller has the Rolex crown etched into the crystal, but if I'm not mistaken I could always say it's a replacement crystal were I to be called out on it.

Oh yeah, if anyone wants to organize a group buy on these dials, I can put you in contact with my source. I would do it, but I'm just too busy.

So if I get some lugholes drilled, install an old datewheel, strip the caseback of its black ink, vintagize the case and bracelet, and add the 16660 dial, it should look something like this gen:

face1xr8.jpg

SICK! I would LOVE to see this happen!!!

You could drill the case, as long as you CHECK, double CHECK, triple CHECK, Quadrup... uh uhm.. you see where i am going with the measuring to make sure you are square with the existing recessed holes... most likely, it wont be perfect on the inside of the lugs... they tend to round off the recesses... but who cares, its covered up!

but, you 'should be' able to drill holes into the case using a quality bit(s) and quality drill press with a solid vice...

also, you will achieve using the nice 'correct' spring bars... however, not sure about the specs of the case though... is it really the same?!?! dial depth and such?!?!

the crystal is going to the hard part in the project! unless you are lucky in finding a Bay-Special!

Heck, you could always try Helfands... FJS have a lot of aftermarket crystals that are pretty close to gen...

PP

Actually, anyone calling you out for the etching on a crystal that isn't supposed to be etched probably knows that service replacements have an "S" etched through the coronet... so that one won't float... you're still burned.

As far as drilling holes on a rounded, sloped surface... start with a drill bit smaller than the finish diameter you want, (drill twice or trice with progressively larger drils) make sure you have a decent drill guide to prevent most of the flex, and mark your spot with a DENT from a nice sharp punch, to keep the drill from walking when starting... (also, most people will probably tend to mark a bit "low" or "long" as the uphill side influences their perception of where the actual "center" is...)

@Chrono

I'm calling you out in public at this point...

You need to make the SMP deal with @J right...

Second Watch has not been received...

And you've failed [again] at a Tracking Number...

Your time is very limited here at RWG if you don't clean up the mess...

The time of borrowing other members dollars on fantasy deals is over...

Clean it up Now!

TT

PS: Did I say "Now"?